Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:34 PM
714361 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Brain That Wouldn't Die « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Brain That Wouldn't Die  (Read 7818 times)
darthchicken
Bad Movie Lover

"If my rhyme was a drug, I'd sell it by the gram"

« on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »

Just curious. How come there isn't a review of The Brain That Wouldn't Die? I mean, it doesn't get much worse than this, and it's a classic as far as bad movies go. The movie was so bad, that the only keeping me watching was the Mystery Science Theater guys. And even then, I barely could watch it.

"His coconut gun can fire in spurts. If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!" - James Madison
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »

If it doesn't get much worse than this then how do you classify "Scarecrow Slayer"? TongueOut

Really, I watched this recently in my new 50-movie pack, and I didn't see how it was that bad. With a bit better direction, more characterization, more impassioned acting, and a few plot screwups taken out (Including frantically rushing just Jan's head back home, the basically unnecessary mini-catfight taken out, and a less abrupt end), it might have deserved about 2 stars up on the IMDB.

You might think this is a lot for two stars, but honestly there are movies that are laugh-a-minute in their badness, and The Brain that wouldn't Die is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »

Just curious. How come there isn't a review of The Brain That Wouldn't Die? I mean, it doesn't get much worse than this, and it's a classic as far as bad movies go. The movie was so bad, that the only keeping me watching was the Mystery Science Theater guys. And even then, I barely could watch it.

Likely because everyone that watches B-movies has seen it a dozen times and likely there are 100's of reviews of the film already. That's my guess.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »

The BRAIN that WOULDN'T DIE.....

How do you review Beauty? Or Perfection? What defination do you give Paradice...Heaven....Nirvana...(not the band.)?
When I first saw it at the tender age of 12, way back in 1974 or so...it was as if the Cosmos had opened,and I was in the presence of Gawd.

Small | Large

Ohhhhh...man...I ...I think I just had an orgazy!  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:35:34 PM »

Likely because everyone that watches B-movies has seen it a dozen times and likely there are 100's of reviews of the film already. That's my guess.

I'll get to it sooner or later.  I like putting a classic B&W into the mix every few reviews.  It's been a possible review for a long time, I'd even thought about starting a review for it soon, but opted for "Missile to the Moon" instead.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:39:57 PM »

I'll get to it sooner or later.  I like putting a classic B&W into the mix every few reviews.  It's been a possible review for a long time, I'd even thought about starting a review for it soon, but opted for "Missile to the Moon" instead.

MISSLE to the MOON!!! Another all-time favorie! Yay!!!  Thumbup  Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »

Shoot, that's a tossup --
Two good choices . . .
Hell, I'd say eventually please do BOTH!!
peter greedy/denny pain

I have no idea what this means.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »

when he's rushing up the enbankment with his girlfriends head in his shirt "gotta get this to the lab!"
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:48:47 PM »

You have to admit the ending is pretty gruesome for a film from this period. The Closet Mutant (Eddie Carmel - The Jewish Giant, a favorite of photographer Dianne Arbus) rips the assistant's arm off (his good arm!) and the guy rubs the stump all over the wall screaming, and leave bloody skid marks every where. The Mutant then breaks out and takes a big bloody bite out off the doctor's neck, holds the meat chunk up so the audience gets a good look, and then throws it on the floor!

All the while Jan smirks "I told you to let me die. Tee hee!"

Watch for former Jerry Lewis impersonator and BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA star Sammy Petrillo as a photographer.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:10:17 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Raffine

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »

What no SPOILER ALERT? Oh man now it's ruined for me ... great!!

I first saw this movie in the late 1960's

Actually, I realized some poor slobs out there might not have seen this thing so I tried to go back and add a spoiler alert, but my compter froze.  Thumbdown

SPOILER ALERT!!!

My computer's working just fine and dandy now.   Thumbup

Oh, and 'Rosebud' is the name of the sled.

EDIT: This house has sure gone crazy!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:29:00 PM by Raffine » Logged

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »

A review from the kindness of Cheeze

THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE
AKA THE HEAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE
Sci-Fi / Horror
1962 89 mins

Reviewed 7.24.2005

View-ability: 3
Scare Factor: 1
Goofiness: 4
Unintended Comedy - 4

OVERALL 3.75 SLICES OF CHEEZE

Psycho Doctor Bill Cortner reanimates lifeless body parts for fun and profit. You have your basic over acting deranged Doc that can do the impossible much to the dismay of his skeptical Dad. No problem, Dad heads out to a convention and Psycho Doc heads to the hills with the lovely Jan Compton to the house in the woods that gives Dr. Dad the willies. Speeding along curving roads with enough warning to alert a blind man, Dr. Bill takes no notice to these warnings and careens off the road escaping with only with minor injuries as he tumbles gingerly down the hill. Meanwhile the lovely Jan is reduced to just a head being toted to the house in a jacket as Dr. Bill runs and stumbles as if he just made it to the endzone. Dr. Bill's Igor known as Kurt awaits him to tell him of the growing restlessness of his mistakes locked in the cellar lab closet. No time for that Kurt we have a head to save! Through the miracle of telephone cords, bubbling beakers, a pan of water and plastic tubes it's alive! It's alive! OK he didn't say that but he should have!
Now for the good part, off the mad Dr. goes to the strip clubs to find the perfect body for his imperfect head. After a few tabletop dances (not really but there were dances) and some backroom boogie the handsome Doc cause a catfight between to of the hottie strippers and heads out to avoid the fall out from the violent fight, so he is driving around in a car that I have no idea where it came from (since his was destroyed in a firey crash) still searching for the perfect bod. A few Beauty Shows later he runs into a model that has "issues" that he knew from way back and we got our self a candidate!
Back to house and one slick mickey later we've got her laid out on the slab with the good Doc ready to operate. But trouble has been brewing while the Doc was out, and it continues to brew. The evil head is up to no good, the monster helps the head and the Doc's Igor, Kurt is having a really bad day. What happens next? You'll just have to watch the movie to see.

Trivia

* Original idea was for last reel to be in glorious color, with the doctor's head being cut off. Scenes were filmed with rats menacing the head.
* This film has never been officially released in the UK. It was rejected by the BBFC in 1961 and has never been submitted for a re-rating.
* Filmed in 1959 but, due to various legal and censorship problems, not released until 1962.
* The last title shot reads "The Head That Wouldn't Die".

Movie Connections

* Edited into: Bride of Monster Mania
* Referenced in: Basket Case 2 | Frankenhooker | Bride of Monster Mania | No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way
* Featured in: It Came from Hollywood | AIP: Fast and Furious | Heartburn | Dominick and Eugene | The Brain That Wouldn't Die | Sorrow B4 Christmas
* Spoofed in: The Man with Two Brains | Tomak: Daeji sarang iyagi rul jewihago

I BET YOU DIDN"T KNOW …

1. Doctors can stay remarkably clean during operations.
2. A totally wrecked car with a headless chard corpse will not bring the attention of the coppers.
3. Old phone cords, plastic tubes and bubbly things can support life.
4. Realizing you are a bodiless talking head is not even a little alarming.
5. You can actually speak and breath without lungs.
6. When your arm is ripped off you suddenly develop an arm-like lump under your shirt.
7. A small lock on a flimsy door will keep an 8 foot monster at bay.

This review has been brought to you power the power of Cheeze.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 11:32:22 PM »

What no SPOILER ALERT? Oh man now it's ruined for me ... great!!

I first saw this movie in the late 1960's

Actually, I realized some poor slobs out there might not have seen this thing so I tried to go back and add a spoiler alert, but my compter froze.  Thumbdown

SPOILER ALERT!!!

My computer's working just fine and dandy now.   Thumbup

Oh, and 'Rosebud' is the name of the sled.

While you were replying I deleted the post as I saw the SPOILER ALERT in the SUBJECT head ... it was a joke anyway I've seen it a couple of dozen times.

ROSEBUD!!! The Sled???? Great ... Jesus H Christ another ruined for me ... what next? The girl in the Crying Game is really a man?

Raffine

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:51:10 PM »

The girl in the Crying Game is really a man?

THE WHO IN WHAT IS WHICH NOW?!?

AAUGH! Hatred

threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02:36 AM »

The title of this film alone makes me want to see it. BounceGiggle

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 06:52:16 AM »

One other little piece of morbid trivia...Rex Carlton, the writer and producer of tBtWD, was foud dead of an apparant suicide...he owed the mob money...could't pay them back. He had finaced a number of Al Adamson's pictures ,including BLOOD of DRACULA'S CASTLE and HELL'S BLOODY DEVILS.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Brain That Wouldn't Die « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.