Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:15 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Georgia schools to pay students $8 an hour -- to stay in class longer... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia schools to pay students $8 an hour -- to stay in class longer...  (Read 7030 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: January 23, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2008/01/22/studentpay_0123_web1.html

WTF!!! Don't get me started, paying bad students to go to school? What message does this send to good students.

NOTE: This story doesn't clearly state the student demographics, but the over the air news story I saw did. It's aimed at poorer minorities with low grades and a high drop out rate. Good students that show up and do what they're suppose to do don't get squat, so what does that say to them, screw up and get paid for it? This is just a bad idea in my opinion, you don't pay kids to do what their suppose to do in the first place. Insane!

raj

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »

Amen.  Utterly ridiculous.

My parents' solution to us going to school was "you will go to school."  End of discussion.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »

Georgia? Sounds like a very Canadian solution to me.   Lookingup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »

That is a horrible idea.  Part of a parents duty is ensuring that their children are held to standards (and understand the "why" of those standards).  Getting an education is plenty reason to go to school.  Rewarding schmucks by paying them to go to school is idiocy.  Let them drop out.  We need people in crap jobs.  If they don't like crap jobs, and have the drive, they will find a way to do better.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »

Let them drop out.  We need people in crap jobs.

Thing is they don't get a crap job, they just get our tax dollars (Walfare/SSI/Food Stamps) and set at home and/or work under the table, deal drugs and the lot. So pay them to go to school say "Hey, if I don't work in school and do nothing I'll get some money!" Setting them on a course of a life of doing nothing and getting paid for it by you and me and the rest of us that see a chuck of our checks go to support the lazy.

Anytime you enable a behavior you just get more of the same behavior.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »

Let them drop out.  We need people in crap jobs.

Thing is they don't get a crap job, they just get our tax dollars (Walfare/SSI/Food Stamps) and set at home and/or work under the table, deal drugs and the lot. So pay them to go to school say "Hey, if I don't work in school and do nothing I'll get some money!" Setting them on a course of a life of doing nothing and getting paid for it by you and me and the rest of us that see a chuck of our checks go to support the lazy.

Anytime you enable a behavior you just get more of the same behavior.

I don't agree with the welfare system either.  If somebody really needs help from the rest of society, well and good.  However, being supported by the rest of society, when you can do at least something to support yourself, is a no go. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »

I don't agree with the welfare system either.  If somebody really needs help from the rest of society, well and good.  However, being supported by the rest of society, when you can do at least something to support yourself, is a no go. 

You do not want me on my welfare soapbox, I rent and work on a lot of government subsidized and low income housing. I see more fraud than I can shake a stick at and I'm only see seeing a tiny microcosm of the national picture. Are there folks that really need help, absolutely! Are there folks milking the system for all it's worth, you bet your bippy there are! And that is what really burns me, perfectly able body people walking the street, getting a government check, living in government house, eating on government food stamps and whining that it's not enough ... get a ***** job! I have some HUD house that the government pays the bulk of the rent and they have to come up with a paltry sum each month to meet the balance, like $80 or so, less than a $100 on every house. And they can't do it! They can have a cell phone, cable, DVD's, bling-bling, and a $150 hair-do but they can't come up with their share of the rent? Please I waste more time and energy than I make to collect it. I have NO empathy for their hard luck stories, pay you bills or get the hell out of my house. There is nothing I haven't heard over the years. Just today I had to track down a slacker 2 months behind, blamed it on x-mas, then blamed it on cold weather, then blamed on the economy, etc .. then claimed he was going to pay me first thing soon as he got his taxes back, I'm like taxes? You got to work first! After a bunch of BS I got about half while he claimed his children would go hungry to which I said 'I didn't take your food stamps, so give it (expletive) rest.", and he's got to the end of the month to get the balance. Maybe he can send he kids to school to paid and help with the rent. Well I'm off topic and it's the thread I started ... good going Cheeze!

I'd better stop before my blood pressure gets up ... Hatred

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Georgia schools to pay students $8 an hour -- to stay in class longer... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.