Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:24:00 PM
714193 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Two videos I made on YouTube « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two videos I made on YouTube  (Read 4396 times)
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 23, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »

Hey, I had finally been screwing around with one of those slideshow apps to make some shows of my father-in-laws nature photos and piano music....real Miramar/Windham Hill material.  It's been a real gas.

But I wanted to poke around with other areas that interest me so I concocted two vids to see what I could come up with.  My machine's pretty old(4 years..an eternity in the computer realm) so it doesn't handle advanced video clip work and barely handles ProShowGold's slide environment without overloading itself.

I just thought I'd see what people might think of 'em.  Any criticism is fine as, let's face it, if I were too thin-skinned about it, I most certainly wouldn't have posted 'em on the internet for all to see.  Honestly I'm more interested in getting the subject matter some exposure.  Well, anyway...

This first one's a short music video about the Essex Mountain Sanatorium that was unfortunately torn down some years ago.  Closed down in '82 and slowly torn down with it's final razing around 2002, I had quite a few visits to the abandoned asylum over my late teens and twenties and it never failed to leave an impression on me.  Of course, this was over a decade before urban archaeology and the appreciation of decaying hospitals really took off.  For a good cry, check out SESSION 9 and then read what's become of that beautiful Danvers State Hospital! 

The music is Wojciech Kilar's lush and haunting theme from THE NINTH GATE.  As I mention on the youtube page, check out http://www.mountainsanatorium.net/ for the first and last word on this page in American medical history.

Small | Large

sometimes my browser doesn't want to deal with remote youtubery so here is the hyperlink for the vids page:
Small | Large

This second one I whipped up quick and dirty with pics I could find around the net.  It's a bogus commercial spot I created for the Holocaust Museum in Washington.  I used the noted 'poem' from Pastor Niemoller(that's his recurring visage in the video) as I believe it's point is just as timely now as it was then. 

The music is from a source almost 180 degrees away from the subject matter.  That being said, once I heard the cue, I couldn't shake it's insistent strength.

Small | Large

Again, the link for this vid:
Small | Large

Anyway, any feedback is always welcome.  As I'm new to this kind of stuff I can only learn more and assimilate criticisms.

And if you care to this is my youtube page(hub, channel, whatever the hell you call it!) http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=detectivethorne where you can see all the crazy s**t I dig on youtube.  Wink

[note]Andrew or Mods...if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot.

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »

Cool videos!  I went by added comments to both.  I really liked the second one, very powerful stuff.  I gotta admit, the "opera" stuff in the first got on my nerves though.. Still, it lead me to check out the site and learn a bit more about the Sanatorium.

Hey, was that where they filmed Session 9?

Doh, wait, did some more research, the place I'm thinking of is the Danvers State Hospital, in Massachusetts.  Weird how many similarities both buildings have though, built the same decade, both mental institutions, both recently torn down, etc. 

Weird, huh?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:09:35 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »

Thanks for the input BTM.  Cheers

Even my wife thinks the NINTH GATE cue from Essex Mountain video is too languid.  I admit, I'm usually not that fond of 'vocalise' themes(outside of Morricone's spaghetti western scores!), but the sad sound of hit me as very close to what it felt like to roam around that place.

Essex Mountain was closed up rather hastily so there were all sorts 'relics' floating around.  Some friends of mine considered a score to snag some toe-tags from one of the rooms.  I really didn't feel comfortable with absconding with souvenirs.  At the time it felt a tad like grave robbing.  I used to have the same opinion of salvage on the Titanic.  Now, years later, with the whole site razed to the ground I regret not having something to show people. 

On the Danvers Hospital...what a beauty, no?  Essex was a fairly standard layout, very modern(by the standards of the time) with little need or desire for artifice.  But the Danvers complex was anchored by that gorgeous Kirkbride building.  Imposing from the ground level and haunting from the air.  Kirkbride Buildings.Com is a great place to check out the whole story.  They became quite a common asylum feautre for a time.  It's hard to believe that Dr. Kirkbrides intentions in the layout scheme were not guided by 'looks' but curative effect, yet they ended up being some of most impressive sights in institutional architecture.

trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »

Those video are quite powerful and I liked your music choices for both

I found the following site a few years back. I really enjoy looking at old buildings and imagining what it must have been like being there when they were in their prime.

I think you'd enjoy checking out the photo essays.

http://www.oboylephoto.com/ruins/index.htm

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »

Very good job on both!  I checked your youtube page to see where that Holocaust music was from.  Quite a surprise! 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »

Thanks so much for the kind words guys.  I'm hoping to improve my skills with our new machine.  Video work and more complex music integration, which on the old computer was a labor(when it was possible at all!), should be much more fun.

trekgeezer- I have O'Boyle's Modern Ruins site already in my urban arch favorites folder, but I always appreciate a recommendation.   Sadly, on looking at some of the other favorite sites on the subject I'd amassed, quite a few have gone 404!  Bluesad

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Two videos I made on YouTube « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.