Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:24:57 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What MOVIES do you like that EVERYBODY ELSE HATES ?? (mine is Boogie Nights) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Author Topic: What MOVIES do you like that EVERYBODY ELSE HATES ?? (mine is Boogie Nights)  (Read 77285 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »

I enjoyed BOOGIE NIGHTS. I'm surprised to hear that many didn't!

Around here it's "Beginning of the END", I just love this movie, my wife's response every time I run the tape is "You're not gonna watch that piece of #$%$ again are you!" Even though this is arguably one of the worst movies ever, it still fascinates me, possibly because grasshoppers give me the willies in a real big way.

I like this one too. Of course...I also like...
The HORRORS of SPIDER ISLAND. I mean...not only in a 'So bad it's good" way. I really like it. I like idea of being on an island with a buncha ditzy,big breasted,frightened women.
 Iv'e noticed many people don't like MARS ATTACKS. I LOVE MARS ATTACKS! I mean...what's not to like? It's stupid,unreal,and lotsa fun! And Tom Jones sings a cool song! Also...all the big name actors get wasted!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »

BATTLEFIELD EARTH!  Thumbup

I'm not alone TeddyR I liked the visuals and ideas in this movie, it just does such a good job of making something familiar (Earth) feel alien. If you can overlook the goofs it's a really good, really fun movie.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »

Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957)
Lost in Translation (2003)
Ed Wood (1994)

I get made fun of for watching black and white movies in general. A lot of people around here don't appreciate the classics.

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »

Halloween 3 - it's so weird, I love it.  It ain't Halloween until I've watched that movie.

Jason X - some people absolutely detest this movie, but I just think it's a blast.  Lexa Doig is probably the strongest female lead of any of the Friday movies.

Starship Troopers 2 - I think most people hate this because they were expecting it to be a big budget blockbuster.  Personally, for what it is, I think it's very well done.  Good characters, interesting plot, plenty of icky gross stuff.

Dracula 3000 - what can I say, all the criticism aimed at it is well deserved, but I still find it entertaining.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 02:27:08 AM »

For years, real live people have insisted that I'm the only person in the world who likes Mad Max. It's a different story on the internet, where it seems everybody finds it hard to believe that I've never met anybody who likes it. Weird.

Out in real life, away from my computer, I've met a couple of people who like Galaxy of Terror, but they really, really don't like to talk about it, especially not with me.

Timbo Hines' WOTW - Now, this one, I'm pretty sure about being the only fan. Kinda' makes me disappointed that Chrome never came to fruition, & I'd really like to find a copy of Bug Wars despite reports that the few who have seen it haven't been able to sit through it. And yet, those darned Polonia brothers seem to have their own franchise.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 12:47:16 PM »

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory- As much as I love Gene Wilder's version, I thought Burton's film was wonderful. 

Big Fish- I felt the performances were wonderful, but sadly, I haven't seen too many people who have seen it.

I second both of these.  I sort of understand why people don't like the Depp Willy Wonka...but didn't they know it was a movie based off of the same book as the Wider version?  Burton never claimed it was a remake of the musical.

Big Fish was a great old school Burton film...y'know back before he was going to remake/reimagine other movies.
I think alot of people automatically think of the Wilder version first, and forget there's a book it's based off of.  I think both worked well, offering different interpretations of the same source material. 

I'm surprised you know people who don't like Boogie Nights.  It's such a good movie with a tremendous cast.  
Look at some of the responses; at least two people commented upon not liking it, but I think the film is very good, and as you wrote, with "a trememdous cast." 

Some movies I like that others don't include:
Ed Wood- I wish more people would like this, but most people I talk to have either a) never heard of it, or b) saw it and thought it was too weird.  Johnny Depp was great as Ed, Martin Landau was awesome as Bela, and Bill Murray was funny.  
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory- As much as I love Gene Wilder's version, I thought Burton's film was wonderful.  
Though my avatar might lead you to think I love the GENE WILDER flick, I only love parts of it.  I am mixed on most of TIM BURTON's work, but I found his CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY interesting. 
And I love ED WOOD
I quite liked the Wilder version of Wonka.  But I loved Depp's version as well.  I grew up a fan of Burton, having seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Beetlejuice when I was five, and Edward Scissorhands and Batman at 6.  Only thing of his I haven't really enjoyed was Planet of the Apes.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »

I found Burton's PLANET OF THE APES remake in Wal-Mart's cheap bin for $5 so I decided to take a chance and picked it up (it was the full special edition, haven't watched it yet though and I'm still very wary as I love the original APES films so very much and of course, it also stars Marky Mark).

I also love some of the films already mentioned here by others including Burton's other films (I've like all those I've seen to date including CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and ED WOOD).  I also liked HALLOWEEN III.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »

I don't want to derail the thread...just wanted to quickly add...

Another salute here for HALLOWEEN III.  Any fan of those Quatermass films should dig this film, depsite it's resorting to some Hollywoody slasher crap now and then.

They don't have it too many places, but whenever I get wind of a club running a "movieoke" night, I pull out my rendition of Conal Cochran explaining his plan to Dr Challis.  "...you thought no further than the strange custom of having your children wear masks and go out begging for candy."

Carpenter said his plan was to release a "Halloween" film each year with a different horror story, sort of a running anthology.  The fact that the common denominator audiences couldn't wrap their brains around a "Halloween" film sans Michael Myers doomed the flick.  I've always believed that if they had just gone with the SEASON OF THE WITCH title, we'd all be living in a different world. 

Dan O'Herlihy is fantastic as Cochran, bringing the role a nice mixture of grandfatherish charm and bone-chilling villainy.  And Tom Atkins...well, as usual, he is THE MAN!

That jingle...that damnable Silver Shamrock jingle....They sure had a bead on American culture with the whole marketing blitz nightmare.  Amazingly, on this point, the film seems more timely now than it did twenty years ago.  In fact, I think I'll post that montage in the favorite montage thread!

I saw in searching there was a thread for HALLOWEEN III, but it was so full of unmitigated and rather ignorant hate, I'd rather chime in here, where there seems a little more fondness for it.

Now back to thread in progress....

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »

Another salute here for HALLOWEEN III.  Any fan of those Quatermass films should dig this film, depsite it's resorting to some Hollywoody slasher crap now and then.
...I've always believed that if they had just gone with the SEASON OF THE WITCH title, we'd all be living in a different world. 
...I saw in searching there was a thread for HALLOWEEN III, but it was so full of unmitigated and rather ignorant hate, I'd rather chime in here, where there seems a little more fondness for it.
Your comments definitely belong here, but looking at the old thread about HALLOWEEN III you mentioned, I should point out that not everybody hated it (though there were some just dopey and offensive comments.)  I admit that I've become quite a fan of the original HALLOWEEN (it's damned well made) a film which holds up well, and the problems it has become less and less important with repeated viewing. 
I saw HALLOWEEN III in the theatre when it was new.  I did not like it.  At all.  Perhaps I need to give it another chance. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 02:48:43 PM »

As it stands - AHD, I really liked Boogie Nights ;  Soylent, I really really hate Battlefield Earth ; Jase, I didn't hate Alien 3, I enjoyed Alien Resurrection, the only part I liked about Robocop 2 was the montage of scenes where the various Robocop follow-ups all malfunctioned (the best being the part with the Robocop that takes off it's own faceplate, screams, then falls over), didn't like Highlander II in either incarnations, I could live without the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes, and I still haven't seen AVP ; Andrew, I still haven't seen Radioactive Dreams (though I've wanted to get around to it for a few years now) or Cavegirl ; Skool, I wanted to like Reloaded but it just seemed like the movie was insistent upon me not doing so (and I still haven't seen Revolutions) ; Lester, still haven't gotten around to seeing either Closer or Happiness ; Snivelly, I gotta side with the majority on this one and voice my displeasure for Ghosts of Mars, despite being a Jason Statham fan ; Pilgermann, I haven't seen A.I. yet ; Happy, I love Ed Wood, I love Cannibal the Musical (so much so that I once built a snowman named Beowulf), and I've seen neither Big Fish nor Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ; Dennis, I've yet to see Beginning of the End ; RC, I have to side with most of bad movie society in my dislike for Horrors of Spider Island (TongueOut) ; Threnody, I've yet to see Attack of the Crab Monsters but I really enjoyed the sickly sweetness of Lost in Translation ; Jack, Halloween III is one of my "secret shame" love movies, Jason X was better than I thought it would be, and I've yet to see either of your other picks ; LilCerb, I was raised on Mad Max flicks, but I've yet to see Galaxy of Terror.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 05:49:03 PM »

I like Gremlins, I don't really meet too many people who say, "Hey have you ever seen Gremlins?"  In fact, in that World Series of Pop Culture show asked a question about listing all the Spielberg films, and Gremlins wasn't on their list!!! Hatred

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
akiratubo

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »

In fact, in that World Series of Pop Culture show asked a question about listing all the Spielberg films, and Gremlins wasn't on their list!!! Hatred

They probably meant directed by Spielberg.  Gremlins was directed by Joe Dante, Spielberg was producer.

I seem to be the only person who likes Stargate.  Whatever Roland Emmerich's later transgressions, he'll always have that one good movie to his name.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 07:17:28 PM »

Bluesad - heavy sigh-Is there no love for SPIDER ISLAND?
 Aww...thats OK...I'll keep all the SPIDER ISLAND chicks for myself...!  Twirling

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »

Battlefield Earth
Waterworld
Fantastic 4:  Rise Of The Silver Surfer

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 09:58:01 PM »

As it stands - AHD, I really liked Boogie Nights ;  Soylent, I really really hate Battlefield Earth ; Jase, I didn't hate Alien 3, I enjoyed Alien Resurrection, the only part I liked about Robocop 2 was the montage of scenes where the various Robocop follow-ups all malfunctioned (the best being the part with the Robocop that takes off it's own faceplate, screams, then falls over), didn't like Highlander II in either incarnations, I could live without the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes, and I still haven't seen AVP ; Andrew, I still haven't seen Radioactive Dreams (though I've wanted to get around to it for a few years now) or Cavegirl ; Skool, I wanted to like Reloaded but it just seemed like the movie was insistent upon me not doing so (and I still haven't seen Revolutions) ; Lester, still haven't gotten around to seeing either Closer or Happiness ; Snivelly, I gotta side with the majority on this one and voice my displeasure for Ghosts of Mars, despite being a Jason Statham fan ; Pilgermann, I haven't seen A.I. yet ; Happy, I love Ed Wood, I love Cannibal the Musical (so much so that I once built a snowman named Beowulf), and I've seen neither Big Fish nor Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ; Dennis, I've yet to see Beginning of the End ; RC, I have to side with most of bad movie society in my dislike for Horrors of Spider Island (TongueOut) ; Threnody, I've yet to see Attack of the Crab Monsters but I really enjoyed the sickly sweetness of Lost in Translation ; Jack, Halloween III is one of my "secret shame" love movies, Jason X was better than I thought it would be, and I've yet to see either of your other picks ; LilCerb, I was raised on Mad Max flicks, but I've yet to see Galaxy of Terror.
I'd build a snowman named Beowulf, but we've only had like, one inch of snow so far this year, not that I'm complaining.

Jason X was very underrated in my opinion.  But most people I know hate it.  I give the writers some credit for attempting something other than having kids show up to a camp that by all accounts should have been shut down by the state and burned to the ground.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What MOVIES do you like that EVERYBODY ELSE HATES ?? (mine is Boogie Nights) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.