Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:50 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Sci-Fi color movie from the 50's? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sci-Fi color movie from the 50's?  (Read 32908 times)
grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 26, 2008, 06:22:58 PM »

I can remember a yellow life-raft with 4 astronauts in it crossing a small fog-shrouded pond/lake on an alien planet.  A large glossy extraterrestrial eye silently breaks the surface of the fog-tendrilled water and then I shut my 10 year old 'scaredy-cat' eyes.

I'm now over 50 and I've wondered about that movie off and on for years.

I think it was a preview of a show to come, but it scared the heck out of me and I've always wondered what the film was, and would love to view it.

My daughter who is a big sci-fi fan says it might have been Journey to the Seventh planet, but reading the excepts and viewing the pics of that movie here on badmovies.org, it doesn't seem like that movie.

Anyone have any ideas what this film might be.  I've watched 'Forbidden Planet'...not that one.  Angry Red Planet, not that one...Maybe Robinson Carusoe on Mars"?

Help! Question
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »

I suspect VOYAGE TO THE PREHISTORIC PLANET or perhaps even VOYAGE TO THE PLANET OF PREHISTORIC WOMEN although that film is from the mid 1960s. Footage was taken from the Russian film PLANETA BUR (PLANET OF STORMS) for both of those.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:11:26 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:22:58 PM »

Reading reviews/excerpts on Google and here, Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet sounds right...it really does sound like the movie, especially since some of the reviews mention excessive fog and a flying car.

Definitely not the second remake with busty women...and the cosmonaut outfits seem specific to this film.

Not stellar reviews, but who cares?  Older sci-fi and horror thrillers are a lot of fun to watch, and since that's the motive, I'm going to start looking on Amazon etc. for these films!

Outstanding job guys! Thanks!

If any more film titles come to mind on the sci-fi film we're discussing, please let me know!

The decap monster film is 100%.  I knew it as soon as I saw the creature!

The sci-fi film is in the 90 percentile range for sure!

Only buying and viewing it will tell the tale. Thumbup
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:26:36 PM by grandslam » Logged
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:08:58 PM »

Actually, "The Angry Red Planet" is a likely candidate.  A review:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/angryred/

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »

No.  I saw The Angry Red Planet recently, but that wasn't it.  I'm still thinking Journey to the Prehistoric Planet...
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:09:43 PM »

FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS has lots of foggy atmosphere too. It is possible I could be mixing that up with VOYAGE too as I have the old DVD with that and VOYAGE TO THE PREHISTORIC PLANET.

grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »

I'm watching First Spaceship to Venus right now on this site:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6479082962502567246 Small | Large

It's a one hour video and they have several more on the sidebars; one of which is Journey to the Prehistoric Planet! And literally hours and hours of others.  Good place to look for unsolved movies I'm thinking, so guess what I'll be doing today...  Smile

No football until next Sunday.

Inquisitiveness and persistence are the precursors to discovery and I think I may have found the key to unlock this mystery door.  We shall see.

Meanwhile, I'll keep you posted as to the true identity of the movie in question so it can be filed away in the solved section. Thumbup

As an aside, I'm amazed at how impressionable my 10 year old mind at the time was; just from a couple of 2-3 minute movie previews!

I imagine that if I had seen the ACTUAL movie back then...I would have had nightmares for weeks on end..lol

I remember when ALIENS first came out.  My sister and I went to see it, we were both grown-ups, and after the scene when the little alien burst out of that ribcage, I spent the whole rest of the movie with one hand ready to cover my eyes.

'Fraidy Cat' should have been my handle on this forum....

BTW, I love this site! Cheers

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:07:22 PM by grandslam » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »

This is a long shot...as the movie is in B+W...but ATOMIC SUBMARINE has a one eyed critter....

It sure sounds like JOURNY to the SEVENTH PLANET though...with the celestial eye...

Small | Large

...but of course,IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE had a one eyed critter as well...only he was earthbound...and it too was in B+W. Arg! Too many cyclopian aliens!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 03:42:04 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:15:33 PM »

It's not First Spaceship To Venus, and it's not Journey To The Prehistoric Planet. Question

I just watched them. I really liked FSTV...cool plot, great sets, great vehicles.  JTTPP had a cool robot, decent sets, cool amphibious vehicle. 

Great movies...that was so much fun to watch those.

Thank's, I'll watch Journey To The Seventh Planet and Atomic Submarine and It Came From Outer Space later tonight and tomorrow.

I do know one thing. About three months ago my wife and I were watching TV and had just finished a movie. I started going through cable TV channels and just accidently happened on an old documentary about old old sci-fi movies, 60's Star Trek etc... and we just managed to catch the very end of the program.  They were rolling the credits and playing scenes from some of the movies and all of a sudden they showed a scene from the movie I'd been hunting for!

The one I'm hunting for on this forum. Buggedout

I jumped out of the chair and yelled to my wife "That's it!  That's the movie I've been looking for...right space suits, right hover car, right pointy spiked planet-rocks...and look!..they're on  the edge of the water with a life raft!!!"

(The colors were so washed out it might have been a B/W movie.  I was that surprised I didn't even note...so the flick might be black and white? Question)

LOL! ....anyway...it was just a few second glimpse and no info on the movie...believe me I was scanning the rolling credits since we had missed the entirety of the documentary.  Sheesh! Lookingup

(It was an older documentary and I've got the title in my Tivo for future recording.)

Therefore I know I'm not mistaken about my search for this flick preview I saw as a kid.  hot
That's a relief to know, so the quest is getting hotter now and I'm on the hunt! Thumbup

Thanks you guys for all your assistance! Keep 'em coming and I'll do the runnin'  lol! Cheers
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:18:04 PM by grandslam » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »

I still have to say that this exactly matches the astronauts encountering the giant amoeba in "The Angry Red Planet."  They are in a lifeboat, crossing the lake, and the creature (with its spinning eye) breaks the surface and comes after them.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 08:51:37 PM »

I'm going to watch ARP tomorrow and then I'll let you know Andrew.  Thanks again. Thumbup
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 11:14:22 PM »

Sorry to have perhaps lead you astray there but truth be told, I have every single movie mentioned in this thread in my DVD collection so it's no wonder I might have mixed them up. Anyways I hope you did at least enjoy those films, I love everything mentioned here quite a bit.

grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 04:42:07 AM »

I've loved every film so far!  And to the contrary...you have not led me astray...rather you have instilled in me the zeal to continue the quest, and given me very cool film films to watch.

All of you, in fact, have.

I appreciate it!
grandslam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »

Nope.  I watched it again (my daughter bought it for me on VHS for Christmas) It's not The Angry Red Planet.

The hover-craft had two round air cushioned/blowers fore and aft, and the cockpit area was in the middle...

Hmmmm....

I'm going to watch Atomic Submarine next if I can find it on Google vids.  Thanks RCMerchant.

In the meantime...

Any other ideas guys/gals?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:15:57 PM by grandslam » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »

It is a hovercraft, not a yellow inflatable raft?  I ask, because that is what I thought clinched it for "Angry Red Planet."

Well, the other movie that comes to mind here is "Battle Beyond the Sun."  I haven't seen it, but the time period is right, and other parts of the movie sound like they could fit.

Wait a minute, something tickled my brain enough:  "Wizard of Mars!"

http://www.jabootu.com/wom.htm
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:22:38 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Sci-Fi color movie from the 50's? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.