Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:12:44 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Del Toro to direct The Hobbit! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Del Toro to direct The Hobbit!  (Read 9073 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:36 AM »

Well guys what you think about.  It think Guillermo Del Toro  has the chops to do it.

Check out the story in the Hollywood Reporter.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »

OK, I like to see it.

...but why films??? Two movies? A pair? Why on earth do they need to make two movies out of it, and will we have to wait another year between the two, although they are made "simultaneously"?

That gets on my nerves a lot...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »

The first movie will be The Hobbit. The second one will be taken from Tolkien's other writings that fill the 60 year gap between The Hobbit and LOTR. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 10:27:39 AM »

If I know anything about Del Toro, The Hobbit is going to look totally awesome. Smaug, especially  TeddyR

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
frank
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »

The first movie will be The Hobbit. The second one will be taken from Tolkien's other writings that fill the 60 year gap between The Hobbit and LOTR. 

You sure? According to the never-failing and always utmost trustworthy and one and only information source wikipedia, they are discussing "The Hobbit and its sequel", as well as "another prequel to Lord of the Rings" to be filmed afterwards...

And of course, the second Hobbit will be released exactly one year after the first.

I already see myself sitting in a great movie, just to see it stop right in the middle of everything, leaving me shattered as I realize that I have to wait another year until the story is finished. After eventually getting all this out of my head after a couple of months, the new trailers start, and I have to see the first part again before watching the second.

But maybe I'm too pessimistic and we just have to wait....

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »

I already see myself sitting in a great movie, just to see it stop right in the middle of everything, leaving me shattered as I realize that I have to wait another year until the story is finished. After eventually getting all this out of my head after a couple of months, the new trailers start, and I have to see the first part again before watching the second.

Well, if the movie is based off of a book, you can always read the book to see how it ends.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »

Checking out his IMDB page, I notice he is slated for writing and directing AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS.

Now, that will be one HARD story to properly adapt to film, but if he pulls it off, it could be a stunner.

Page does not say anything about THE HOBBIT yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »

Thinking of his other works, Del Toro is an interesting choice to direct "The Hobbit."  Spider-infested Mirkwood will be very interesting with his direction, along with Smaug.  Heck, the woods elves will be interesting.

Something I like is that I believe Del Toro will try to instill quite a bit of personality into the characters.  He does not have to exactly follow the book, but if he gets the characterizations right it will be great, and he tends to do very well with that sort of focus.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
frank
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »

Well, if the movie is based off of a book, you can always read the book to see how it ends.

As we are talking about the hobbit, I might actually consider this an insult.....

Seriously: I expect it to be similar as with the Lord of the Rings Triology. Of course you now before that one film only covers one book, and you know quite well what happens in each part. Still, having seen the first one made me wanting to see the next one earlier than in one year. Knowing the story is not knowing the movie...

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »

As we are talking about the hobbit, I might actually consider this an insult.....

Seriously: I expect it to be similar as with the Lord of the Rings Triology. Of course you now before that one film only covers one book, and you know quite well what happens in each part. Still, having seen the first one made me wanting to see the next one earlier than in one year. Knowing the story is not knowing the movie...

It wasn't my intention to insult you.  If I did, I apologize.  I only mentioned reading the book since I had to tell some of my co-workers to read the books the years in between LotR movies.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »

With Jackson as executive producer and Del Toro directing, I'm pretty excited about what we'll see. I suppose the last piece of the puzzle will the the screenwriter they work with.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
frank
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 12:01:12 PM »

It wasn't my intention to insult you.  If I did, I apologize.  I only mentioned reading the book since I had to tell some of my co-workers to read the books the years in between LotR movies.

No need to. I'd have added a sort of laughing-because-of-irony-smiley, but somehow they don`t stick with me.

In fact, I will put the hobbit on my re-reading list, just to be prepared (e.g. shouting out loud "that's not in the book!" in the theaters - again just kidding)

akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

Hmm.  I think Del Toro's stuff has just been "okay".  At least he hasn't turned out any out and out crap.  Even that weird movie about the gold beetle that turns you into vampires was "okay".

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 08:00:58 PM »

Hmm.  I think Del Toro's stuff has just been "okay".  At least he hasn't turned out any out and out crap.  Even that weird movie about the gold beetle that turns you into vampires was "okay".

If you haven't seen Pan's Labrynth, do so.

And I would certainly rather see him be the (first?) do a great Job with than the second to do well (which I believe he would) with Tolkein.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
akiratubo

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »

If you haven't seen Pan's Labrynth, do so.

No.

From what I've heard about it and from clips I've seen on You Tube and other places, I know I wouldn't like it.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Del Toro to direct The Hobbit! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.