Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:05:09 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tom Cruise babbles incoherently about Scientology. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tom Cruise babbles incoherently about Scientology.  (Read 11027 times)
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »

It's a shame he's such a nutjob.  He's quite a nice looking man and it seems like he genuinely loves his wife and kids.  But I don't think you should blame Scientology for his douche bagger ( TeddyR)

Other Scientology actors/celebs don't bang on about it like he does.  I haven't heard any of the following say anything their Scientology beliefs:

Leah Remini
Beck
Jenna Elfman
Kirstie Alley
John Travolta
Kelly Preston
Kate Ceberano (Aussie/Kiwi singer)
James Packer (Aussie media mogul's son and gazillionaire)

And that's just those ones I can think of off the top of my head.  I think Cruise is just an overly emotional guy with an ego to boot and because of his bad childhood he just wants to be accepted and for people to love him.

Having said that, he's still a fruitcake and if his acting abilities or his choice of movies start sliding off the rails, I'm giving him the flick.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 11:40:28 PM »

It's a shame he's such a nutjob.  He's quite a nice looking man and it seems like he genuinely loves his wife and kids.  But I don't think you should blame Scientology for his douche bagger ( TeddyR)

Other Scientology actors/celebs don't bang on about it like he does.  I haven't heard any of the following say anything their Scientology beliefs:

<snip>
John Travolta

Actions speak louder than words here; Travolta spent two decades working to get Battlefield: Earth made into a movie, based on the sprawling godawful novel by -- you guessed it -- L. Ron Hubbard.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »

Hey...as long as Scientologists arn't starting any Holy wars, or butchering non-believers...I got no beef with them.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »

After the Cruise vs. Matt Lauer tempest in a teapot a few years ago, Kelly Preston appeared on a few TV news channels, ostensibly to defend Cruise and clarify Scientology's views on psychiatry. But in the appearances I saw she mostly attacked the psychiatric field   and railled against prescribing antidepressants and other meds for kids. She never called anyone "glib" but made reference to the same secret real history of psychiatry that Cruise did but in a more levelheaded manner.

People like Jenna Elfman and Kirstie Alley have appeared at rallies against using those same meds on children, and made statements that have been used in news and infotainment programs. The organizations they represented were not always identified as being under the Church of Scientology umbrella, but that could also be the fault of lazy reporters and producers, or media organizatons (often part of large media conglomerates where one unit is providing publicity for anthoer unit) not wanting to have the Church harassing them or burn bridges with members they may want to work with on future projects.

Beck has said little about it that I've seen anyway, usually when first asked about it in interviews. Leah Remini I saw interviewed by Howard Stern years ago, when asked about her faith, church membership, Xenu, etc. she mostly said she didn't know about certain things (I never heard her say the name "Xenu" during the interview) and that "it works for me" and she she didn't question it.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »

After the Cruise vs. Matt Lauer tempest in a teapot a few years ago, Kelly Preston appeared on a few TV news channels, ostensibly to defend Cruise and clarify Scientology's views on psychiatry. But in the appearances I saw she mostly attacked the psychiatric field   and railled against prescribing antidepressants and other meds for kids. She never called anyone "glib" but made reference to the same secret real history of psychiatry that Cruise did but in a more levelheaded manner.

People like Jenna Elfman and Kirstie Alley have appeared at rallies against using those same meds on children, and made statements that have been used in news and infotainment programs. The organizations they represented were not always identified as being under the Church of Scientology umbrella, but that could also be the fault of lazy reporters and producers, or media organizatons (often part of large media conglomerates where one unit is providing publicity for anthoer unit) not wanting to have the Church harassing them or burn bridges with members they may want to work with on future projects.

Beck has said little about it that I've seen anyway, usually when first asked about it in interviews. Leah Remini I saw interviewed by Howard Stern years ago, when asked about her faith, church membership, Xenu, etc. she mostly said she didn't know about certain things (I never heard her say the name "Xenu" during the interview) and that "it works for me" and she she didn't question it.

You get your fanatics in every religion.  Tom Cruise is well known, so it's too easy to poke fun at him.  I got no beef with those guys and I guess believing that aliens seeded the earth is no weirder than believing that Jesus walked on water.  After all, either of those things might be proved true in the decades to come.

In the meantime, I'll just take the lazy route and laugh at Cruise and his buddies and then switch the channel.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »

I guess believing that aliens seeded the earth is no weirder than believing that Jesus walked on water. 

There IS a difference in those two things - a rather big difference.  The people that recorded that Jesus walked on water were the ones that witnessed it (right or wrong, literal or metaphor, etc, etc...); no one actually saw aliens seed the earth.   Whether or not one chooses to believe that what was recorded actually happened as recorded is a personal decision.

I'm not trying to start a religious flame war here.  I just wanted to point this out because it is a key, fundamental difference, and I think a fair contrast.

Consider three of the world's current major religions:

One can prove Jesus, Mohamad and say King David existed.  What is open to faith is their relationship to God.  The foundational bases for Christianity, Islam and Judaism are all rooted in recorded history (independently of the Bible, Tanakh and Qu'ran).

On the other hand, one cannot currently prove aliens exist or existed.  Such proof may be offered at some point, but currently, the basic premise has to be taken on faith.  But key to my point is that such proof did not exist at the time the religion was founded.

That's not a slam, by the way...just a contrast.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 11:27:12 PM »

I guess believing that aliens seeded the earth is no weirder than believing that Jesus walked on water. 

There IS a difference in those two things - a rather big difference.  The people that recorded that Jesus walked on water were the ones that witnessed it (right or wrong, literal or metaphor, etc, etc...); no one actually saw aliens seed the earth.   Whether or not one chooses to believe that what was recorded actually happened as recorded is a personal decision.

I'm not trying to start a religious flame war here.  I just wanted to point this out because it is a key, fundamental difference, and I think a fair contrast.

Consider three of the world's current major religions:

One can prove Jesus, Mohamad and say King David existed.  What is open to faith is their relationship to God.  The foundational bases for Christianity, Islam and Judaism are all rooted in recorded history (independently of the Bible, Tanakh and Qu'ran).

On the other hand, one cannot currently prove aliens exist or existed.  Such proof may be offered at some point, but currently, the basic premise has to be taken on faith.  But key to my point is that such proof did not exist at the time the religion was founded.

That's not a slam, by the way...just a contrast.

You're absolutely right.  But I was thinking more in terms of what Jesus did as opposed to him being fictional.  I could have used a better analogy though.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 11:57:42 PM »

You're absolutely right.  But I was thinking more in terms of what Jesus did as opposed to him being fictional.  I could have used a better analogy though.

Right.  I get that.  What I meant was that his "act" (walking on water) was witnessed by the people that recorded it (or so they say, right?).  So the contrast is:

Some people claim to have seen something a man who really existed did and they wrote it down versus an idea taken on faith.

It does not really matter...I guess I was picking nits anyway.  Have a glass.   Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 12:44:56 AM »

Right.  I get that.  What I meant was that his "act" (walking on water) was witnessed by the people that recorded it (or so they say, right?).  So the contrast is:

Some people claim to have seen something a man who really existed did and they wrote it down versus an idea taken on faith.

It does not really matter...I guess I was picking nits anyway.  Have a glass.   Cheers

Picking nits keeps you clean   BounceGiggle

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »

Can anyone babble coherently about Scientology?

You said it right there.  As soon as you start talking about their beliefs you sound like you're ready for the rubber room.  The real question is why Tom thinks this is a good idea.

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »

Can anyone babble coherently about Scientology?

You said it right there.  As soon as you start talking about their beliefs you sound like you're ready for the rubber room.  The real question is why Tom thinks this is a good idea.

If I may interject with my completely unscientific and uneducated opinion:

People who embrace cults/extreme religions/etc wholeheartedly are generally those who feel something missing in their lives.  From what I've read, Tom's dad was a real arsehole and he was greatly affected by that.  Plus you don't know what kind of abuse, if any, Tom suffered at the hands of his dad.

So he looks to Scientology to make himself feel like he's a worthy person and not some loser like he believed growing up.  He meets people who praise him and like him and accept him and he likes that feeling of community so much, he does whatever he can to keep the feeling going.

Of course, you could say that about anyone who joins a club of like minded people.  But some people are more needy than others and need more praise and recognition.  Tom sounds like he's one of those people.  That's why he attacks or casts out anyone who doesn't think like he does.

I guess over time, you can start believing anything if the people you love and trust tell you it's so.

He's pretty much just a sad little ignored boy inside who wants love and affection.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
BTM

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »

Found a HILARIOUS parody of that video with Jerry O'Connel!

Check it out, here
Small | Large

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 11:42:39 PM »

I was watching best week ever and they showed a clip where Tom Cruise said that if an accident occurred, a scientologist is the best person nearby because they  will help.   I personally think that a person who thinks they are an orange would be a better choice.

I know a guy like that.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tom Cruise babbles incoherently about Scientology. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.