Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:46:08 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tech Help: Wireless Networking « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tech Help: Wireless Networking  (Read 3647 times)
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« on: January 30, 2008, 10:34:20 AM »

Hello techies - was wondering if I could get some input.  I just moved and my roommate has a wireless network/router.  I bought myself a wireless network adaptor (USB Belkin) and tried to install everything last night.  After installing the software/hardware and rebooting, I ran into several quarks, but I seem to have gotten around them (so many new terms and acronyms that I'm not sure what they are (WEP, for example).  Anyway, I think I have it set up but now it's doing weird stuff and not giving me access to the internet.  By weird stuff, I mean two different icons appear in the system tray -one saying I'm connected and the other constantly scanning for a connection.

I try to connect to a network (two show up on the list) and two different system tray icons seem to try to connect to them.  Anyway, first it requested some Key business (????) then it had some crap about hexadecimal.  Now, I'm all about user-friendliness in documentation and products -never would have thought I needed to effing know Machine Language to get on the internet lol.  Anyway, somehow, I got around all that and after rebooting a couple times, it seems I have connected to one or the other of the networks listed (usually with a strong signal).

My problem now: even with "strong" connection to the network in the house, my web browser still gives me the 404 error and can't connect to any sites.  I figure I must be doing something wrong or I might need to reconfigure some of the internet protocols.  The documentation sucks and they expect you to be an expert right off the bat.   Going to check for a patch on their web site (I'm running Windows XP home ed) and run that.

Anyone with any experience with wireless network adaptors got any suggestions or links to a site that might define what all this shiznit is about?  Sooner I get my "own" internet back, the sooner I get back to writing my reviews.  Thanks in advance.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »

At one point, I tried hooking up a wireless Belkin (I think it was Belkin) card for somebody and couldn't get it to work properly.  It would work sometimes.  After doing some searching on the Internet, I found that others were experiencing the same issues with that card, in my type of machine.  I took it back and got a different one.

Try doing some searches, based on your card's model and "troubleshooting" or "not working" and see what you can find.  However, if you bought it somewhere that you can return it - that's probably the least painful approach.  If it doesn't work out of the box without problems it is going to cause you grief in the long run.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »

Thanks - I think I'm going to do the same; take it back.  I did some research yesterday and discovered their product line is rather subpar and the documentation stinks, frankly.  They kinda assume you know what you're doing.  I spent probably two hours just trying to connect to a network and look at a single web page but no joy.  I got it to connect a couple times by fiddling around with the settings but I'm not sure I was doing it right.  I don't understand the whole Key request thing (especially the hexadecimal BS).  I know it's a security option but it didn't make any sense they way they described it.  I clicked that crap off and somehow got a signal but it would never let me bring up any web pages.  Kept saying I was working offline and kept trying to dial up until I disabled that crap (any input on that?).  It makes no sense why somethign so simple needs that much attention and troubleshooting.  Should be able to just plug the darn thing in and start surfing.  I'm planning on taking it back and getting Netgear instead but I fear I might run into the same problem.  I mean, what good is connecting to a wireless network if you can't do anything after lol.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »

You want to have a number of security options enabled to prevent someone from using your WiFi connection without your permission.  These have to be setup the same on both the wireless router and your computer (wireless card).

Searching for "securing wireless network" is a good idea.  Most wireless router manufacturers provide some sort of help.  Even calling their assistance line can get you a talk-through of doing it.  You just have to deal with the waiting time on hold.

In general, these are some suggestions for a wireless network (again, you have to do these on the router, then setup your wireless card too):

*Turn off SSID broadcasting
This way, somebody has to know your wireless network's name to access it.

*Use authentication, such as WPA-PSK encrypted.
This makes it much harder for someone to get in.  Make sure you use a whacko key.  You won't have to enter it that often, so make it quite random.  I'd suggest typing it out in Notepad, printing that (and putting it in a safe place), then copy and pasting it into the router config.

*For heavy security - use MAC address filtering
A bit more advanced, but you can set it so that only network cards with specific MAC addresses can use your WiFi.  You'll need to lookup documentation on how to do this for your specific router.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:54:58 AM »

Important points about wireless - Getting a strong signal is important, but all it means is that the radio is working. You can't get out on the internet unless your PC gets a TCP/IP number from the router.

What kind of a router is being used? Does the router have encryption turned on (WEP or WPA)?  Your network adaptor has to match what the router is running.  If the router has MAC filtering turned on then the MAC address of your network adapter has to be added to the list of MAC's that are allowed to access the router.

Don't load any software from the manufacturer of the wireless adapter except the driver.  The software that comes with Windows XP Service Pack 2 is far easier to deal with than most of the stuff that comes with network cards.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:57:15 AM by trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »

Let me add here...

I'm no expert on this but I did set one up myself with a little bit of help. I am using Verizon and I have a Westel Versalink router/modem...When I tried setting up my network, I couldn't get my second desktop to stay connected for more than 5 minutes...and that was a long time if I was lucky. I got a laptop and that couldn't even find the signal yet it found the signal from my neighbor across the street.
Anyway, long story short...I did some research and discovered that many people have issues with the Verizon gear so I got a Netgear router and ran it in line after the Westel Versalink. I shut the wireless capability off on the Versalink and I use the router for that. I was set up running wireless throughout the house in less than 20 minutes.

I found the Netgear is easy to work with and comes with instructions that are pretty simple. What I was really trying to get at with this post...do what the others have said...do some research and take that Belkin back....and if you have a Westel Versalink from Verizon...that is most likely causing you problems too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »

Thanks everyone for the input - seems to coorespond with all the research I've found.  Yes, definitely taking the Belkin back tonight just on the principle that their documentation sucks donkey (and I write documentation for a living so this really irks me when companies don't invest in their documentation).

I'm planning on getting Netgear since that's the type of router my roommate is using and it also seems to have a better reputation from a user standpoint. 

I think if I can get on her machine, check all the settings, and make sure mine cooresponds (names, numbers, etc.), I'll be doing a lot better.  Unfortunately, she doesn't know a thing about it since one of her friends set it all up. 

I'm not sure if and how the WEP/KEY thing set up or how that works, if she set any of that up to begin with.   I understand what it is but not how to deal with it.  I know I was trying to connect last night and I was at a loss when it asked for a Key - is this Key established at the router?  If I understand correctly, when setting up a router you create this key (and a name for the network/work group) and then any computers you connect to it must use the same info?  Is that right?  If so, I hope I can find what it is on her machine because she didn't know anything about a Key when I asked.

Anyway, thanks again everyone - I feel a lot better about this and I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »

SInce we are on the topic, would you folks break out the sock puppets again?  My laptp is integrated wireless, and I want to get the house set up.  What do I need to buy?
However, i do not want to make my desktop system wireless, its my gaming machine and I like the high bandwidth, and hate to lose itto a wireless connection, is this possible? 
Any help would be welcome, I'm getting to the age when the technology gland starts to lose function I think.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »

SInce we are on the topic, would you folks break out the sock puppets again?  My laptp is integrated wireless, and I want to get the house set up.  What do I need to buy?
However, i do not want to make my desktop system wireless, its my gaming machine and I like the high bandwidth, and hate to lose itto a wireless connection, is this possible? 
Any help would be welcome, I'm getting to the age when the technology gland starts to lose function I think.
-Ed

Check your ISP. Mine (rogers) offers a dual connection broadband modem. This means that my main system is hardwired via LAN line to my ISP modem, but my laptop connects via WIFI. The only thing I had to get was the modem from Rogers at a one time upcharge of 45$. That way I get both a wireless network and can keep my gaming machine herdwired to the internet. You should look into seeing if your ISP has this service too, it really is the cheapest and easiest.

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 06:05:46 PM »

Update: Well, took it back and got a Netgear (same as router) and now I'm having other issues... installed everything ok but it only recognizes the adaptor off and on and when it does, it lags my system down so bad during start up that it often locks up completely.  Sometimes I just boot it up and plug it in then and sometimes it brings up the network selection deal -but I can't even get a good pull on the router which is 5 feet away (shrugs).  I'm thinking there must be a short in the wire or a pin not right...I'll probably have to take it back too.  I'll have it one of these days heh.  I'm having a tech-savy friend stop over tonight to check it all out.  Wish me luck and thanks again for all your advice.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tech Help: Wireless Networking « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.