Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:52:06 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Killing « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Killing  (Read 4067 times)
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« on: February 02, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »

Another Kubrick classic - the heist movie.  This was pretty entertaining for a movie from the 50s; it was surreal -these characters seemed like they were in a more recent world.  I liked and disliked several of the characters very much.  Very non-telegraphical and paved the way for non-linear stories such as more recent work like Pulp Fiction and the like.  I was surprised by some events; that doesn't happen often.

As usual, there are parallels to other Kubrick work.  Here are just a few examples that were pretty obvious but I'm sure there were many more.  The scenes at the bar seemed to be filmed from exactly the same angle as will later be done in The Shining.  We get sine spousal arguments in the bedroom just as in Eyes Wide Shut.  And for the life of me, the practice targets at the shooter's farm look just like the Sgt's pose in Full Metal Jacket!  Let's not forget about the appearance of yet another grotesque mask, which will manifest more in ACO and go full throttle in EWS.

Which Kubrick to watch next: Lolita, Spartacus, or Dr. Strangelove?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:38:09 PM »

A criminally underseen noir masterpiece.

There's that Kubrick mask motif again.

As for your next Kubrick movie, you can't really go wrong with any of them, can you?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Chigur
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:16:53 PM »

Lolita or Strangelove.
Spartacus was the only Kubrick film he didn't write the screenplay for. He was just tacked on as director just before production started.
By no means a bad film, just not up to his usual standards.
Lolita would be my favourite of the two, it's a far more human film than Strangelove and raises some interesting questions on the subject of paedophilia (consenual, no worries).
It shocks me still, that this film managed to get a wide release in that day and age.
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:53:11 AM »

<potential spoilers within>

Started watching Lolita last night but only got half of it done before I had other obligations...already noticing more parallels.  I'm sure I'll finish it over the next couple days. 

But yeah, The Killing was a great movie; overall though, it was interesting that they had all this so planned out and were fluked by something so trivial - such is life I guess.George and Sherry - their conclusion was a surprise - didn't expect any of that! 

See this one if you haven't!
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:43:39 PM »

Lolita or Strangelove.
Spartacus was the only Kubrick film he didn't write the screenplay for. He was just tacked on as director just before production started.
By no means a bad film, just not up to his usual standards.
Lolita would be my favourite of the two, it's a far more human film than Strangelove and raises some interesting questions on the subject of paedophilia (consenual, no worries).
It shocks me still, that this film managed to get a wide release in that day and age.

You shouldn't be so shocked.  Sue Lyon didn't look 12 or however old she was supposed to be.  She looked 18.  It was just the implication that she was 12 that would have shocked cinema goers.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
vnmarser
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:17:37 AM »

well, where can I download or buy this?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Killing « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.