Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:08:57 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  For Trekgeezer: How did this wind up in the SA Film Archives? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For Trekgeezer: How did this wind up in the SA Film Archives?  (Read 2630 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 04, 2008, 02:04:48 AM »

BounceGiggle

Checking through our catalogue cards the other day, I came across a card marked "Star Trek". I requested the reel and it was a 16mm copy of the Star Trek episode The Immunity Syndrome, in good condition.

It's great to have but I wonder (1) How did it get here (2)What Trekgeezer would think about it and (3) what's it worth?

TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »

I'd be hard pressed to tell you what it's worth, most of my dealings with memorabilia are with action figures, toys, and Hallmark Ornaments.

It's quite interesting to find in the South African archives though.  I wonder if it was used for broadcast television?

It is one of the goofier episodes (the galaxy is invaded by a giant energy sucking amoeba), not to say it is bad, just has a goofy premise. Some good Spock and Bones interaction in it.

I'll ask around and see if I can come up with a figure on what it would be worth.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

From a little research I think I found out that the film print probably isn't worth much monetarily. I couldn't find any info about Star Trek prints, but there were lots of othere 60's shows with prints on eBay.  Most running from $19 -$49 .

I did learn where those prints came from. That's how they distributed syndicated shows back in the 70's. I got this little excerpt off a film and processing board.

The shows were delivered to the TV stations on 16mm film and after splicing in commercials, also on 16mm, the TV station would broadcast the show through something called a film chain, which was basically a live TV camera that looked through the lens of a 16mm projector and converted the frames of film it saw into television signals which were then broadcast from the station antenna. So TV viewers probably saw these shows in grainy, scratched, 16mm with added fuzz from the antennas that one needed to watch television in those days.

Another thing that happened to these films was that they got edited to fit in more commercials.  A full episode of Star Trek ran for 51 minutes in it's original run. After they went into syndication as much as 9 minutes has been edited out of them for the addition of commercials.  A typical episode of an American "hour long" drama is really only 42 minutes of show and 18 minutes of commercial.  In it's last two seasons Star Trek: Enterprise was cut down to 38 minutes by UPN.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »

Trevor,

When you said "SA" Film Archives, I thought you meant South Australia, not South Africa  *lol*

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:05:51 AM »

Smile Thanks for all that, Trek: karma for you.

The print we have doesn't appear to be longer than the time you stated so it probably has been cut in some way and I have a funny feeling that it came from the Chamber of Mines material which we have a lot of here. TV was banned in South Africa up until 1975 so they must have bought up 16mm reels of just about anything to keep their workers entertained.

Thanks again, my friend.  Smile

Killer Bees:  BounceGiggle TeddyR
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:31:17 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  For Trekgeezer: How did this wind up in the SA Film Archives? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.