Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:39:22 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help with an OBD2 reader for my car « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help with an OBD2 reader for my car  (Read 3096 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« on: April 12, 2008, 05:54:22 PM »

A few weeks ago, I got a new(er) car. I'm still trying to figure out the factory owner's manual and the Haynes Service manual, because they cover several different years & models.

It's a '99 Ford Taurus SE sedan, with a 3.0 ltr Vulcan engine.
The heater doesn't work. It blows cold air. (Yeah, I know you're supposed to let engine warm up first, & the oil & coolant levels are fine.) With summer coming up, it should be a problem, but, well, you know...

So anyway, I wanted to compare the range on my gas tank to my old car, so I was letting it run with the "low fuel light" on for a little while. After satisfying my curiosity, I was on my way up to the gas station, when the darned thing crapped out on me, no telltale sputtering or anything. So, I put about 5 gallons in it, waited for the fuel pump to warm up, turned the key, & it still wouldn't start. I tried it several times, & I still couldn't get it to start, so I had it towed.

The next morning, my mechanic called & said it was working fine. Following a brief discussion, he told me that the fuel pressure was a little low, & suggested that it might be a problem with the fuel filter, so I had him replace it.

So, as I was driving around last night, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I don't see why it would, considering I just had it serviced, so I'm driving around looking at this little light wondering "What the hell do you want from me?"

So I'm wondering if someone could recommend a decent OBD2 reader, preferably one with a USB port, and possibly some tips on how to use it.

I knew I should've spent my money on the '74 CB400. At least I can work on that.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Menard
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »

The heater doesn't work. It blows cold air. (Yeah, I know you're supposed to let engine warm up first, & the oil & coolant levels are fine.) With summer coming up, it should be a problem, but, well, you know...

You probably already know this, but check that thermostat to make certain whether it is working, or there. If the coolant level is fine, the heater should work, unless something is either restricting the coolant flow, or it is cooling too much.

I am not familiar with the reader. You can do a search on Google, or Amazon, for OBD2 and get plenty of options. I do know that if you have an Autozone or Advance Auto Parts in your area, they usually offer free readings.

You might also want to have that fuel pump checked, though, I don't know if there is much they can check on it other than it is working or not, until it goes out.
LilCerberus

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »

Now that you mention it, I once pulled the thermostat out of my '79 Courier because it kept overheating. It worked fine after that... until winter came around.

I'll run by Advance tomorrow & see if they offer readings.

Thanks Menard.

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

Well, I ran it by Autozone today & got 'em to check the OBD2.

The code was a P0401/P0402, which apparently means that I have excessive/insufficient flow in my Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.

So, the cashier recommended I replace the EGR Valve & the EGR Vacuum Solenoid.

I found 'em both under the hood, so now the question is, "Should I really try & do this myself, or should I take it back to my mechanic?"

I think I'll go ahead & get me one o' them little doo-hickies when I get my next paycheck. I found one a Wal-Mart for about a hundred bucks.

Menard
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »

So, the cashier recommended I replace the EGR Valve & the EGR Vacuum Solenoid.

I found 'em both under the hood, so now the question is, "Should I really try & do this myself, or should I take it back to my mechanic?"

Well, if your mechanic didn't have one of them machines in the first place, do you really want to take it to him?

Have you done this before?

If it is something relatively easy to replace, why not do it yourself?

If it's something that you have never done before, but you have the book telling you how; throw away the book, step away from the car (after getting it to a mechanic), and watch the mechanic do it so you will know how should you need to ever use the knowledge again.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:32:36 PM »

Something I buy for every car we own is a repair manual, one of the Haynes and/or Chiltons usually have enough in them.  They're not too expensive (should be under $30), and with them you can look up a repair and hopefully make a decision whether you want to get into it yourself.  They'll also include certain tips and tricks, like if you have to remove something else to remove the part in question.  Knowing about those pitfalls can save you some time and cursing.  I remember having to pull the inside of a tire well to get to the headlight on somebody's car.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help with an OBD2 reader for my car « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.