Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:05:52 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's Your Social Life Like? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: What's Your Social Life Like?  (Read 36475 times)
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« on: February 08, 2008, 12:54:53 AM »

Mine is non-existent.  And I don't mean just slow and boring - actually non-existent.

My 2 best friends are Claire, she lives in New Zealand and my sister who lives 10 mins away but is always busy and I nearly have to make an appointment to see her.  Claire will be coming to Aus in June but right now we're just email buddies. 

I have no partner and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon.  So I have my job and my knitting and my son who regales me with the Days Of Our Lives antics of his friends.  Then for kicks I might go to the public library or to the local craft shop to buy more yarn for my knitting.  And I have my housework and my DVDs and my books. 

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do illegal drugs, I don't even have a gambling addiction!

Yeah, I'm having a whinge, but everyone around here has already heard it all   TeddyR

Come on, someone out there must be more pathetic than me!

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:32:50 AM »

At some point in my life, I learned that a motorbike doesn't necessarily equal cool.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 05:51:46 AM »

Social life? What's that?  Question

I go to work, go home go to bed. Go to work gohomegotobedgotoworkgohome gotobed....

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
 All work and
no play makes Jack a dull boy All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
 All work
and no play
makes Jack
a
dull
boy.
ALLWORKANDNOPLAYMAKESJACKADULLBOY.
.YOBLLUDAKCAJSEKAMYALPONDANKORWLLA

Tara...what are you doing in here? When I'm in here , and you here me typing -or if you don't hear me typing-or whatever the f5ck im doing in here-that means i am busy! Now you can start by getting the f4ck outta here!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:22:50 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:36:16 AM »

Tara...what are you doing in here? When I'm in here , and you here me typing -or if you don't hear me typing-or whatever the f5ck im doing in here-that means i am busy! Now you can start by getting the f4ck outta here!

BounceGiggle TeddyR BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 07:04:07 AM »

My social life was mostly non-exsistent for a long time. I don't leave my house much, which probably didn't help much. I have a really hard time walking, and on top of it, there is no where to go. Being a big dork and a girl doesn't help either. guys seem to find my intrests a little bizarre. guess most of them are looking for someone more conventional. 'I have a great collection of slasher flicks' isn't the best line to pick up a guy. then about two months ago, i met a guy who like me, avoids the public alot. now we are just big dorks together. he's working on his masters, so i don't get to see him alot between school and his job. he doesn't mind me being socially awkward thankfully. but before, all i did was sit at home and read, take care of my daughter and occasionally escape to the library, so i really understand your situation. if you ever need another pen pal let me know.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »

Let's see... I have two friends in this area; I haven't spoken to one in several months (just been busy), and I haven't spoken to the other in nearly a month (again, just busy). I do have a wife and child, but they are family, not "social." I spend most of my time at home or waiting around for someone to book a massage appointment. Like SisterGrace, I've always been socially awkward, though I can fake being outgoing for short periods of time. Mostly, I am a happily depressed introvert, content to be by myself or with my family. If this were the Middle Ages, I'd probably have been a creepy hermit. Instead, I'm just creepy.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »

Mine is seriously curtailed for a little while, because we do have three children and Katie also works.

However, I get out to play paintball now and then.  During the winter it is not so often, maybe once every month or two.  During the fair months it is usually twice a month.

Get together with the other Marines now and then.  It all depends on schedules.

Have a couple of good friends that I've made over the years.  Todd and Jenn we see just about every month or so (they live in NY) and we all get together for a weekend.  There are some other friends who we see less often, say every 3-6 months. Speak to a lot of people over the phone. 

However, we made a rule a long time ago that keeps us busy and usually going to something once a month:  "Always go to the birthday parties, baby showers, weddings, and other gatherings; otherwise, the only time you will see many of those friends and family will be at the funerals."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »

I think your rule is a good one.  Had a year, a few ago, with three funerals.  :(

I work outside the home, and my wife inside it, and we have two children.  Like most of us here I think, I have only a few real friends.   The ones I have are true friends, though.  My best friend lives three hours' drive away, I see him every few months and talk to him regularly.   One of my brothers is in the area, but he's a farmer and it's winter (so he's playing as much as he can, snowboarding).      The things that recharge my batteries, personally, are things like movies, playing with kids, books, video games, exercise.   I don't drink, don't smoke, etc...  and with our kids at their ages, we don't go out much.   

The best part of my social life is that our church group meets at my house every week, and they're all cool people who are our ages, more or less.  That's our main social outlet at this point.

In the main, I'd be exhausted if I _had_ a really busy social schedule, because I spend most of my interpersonal energy each day doing my work..  I'm certainly not an extrovert.      (Who are the extroverts here?  Raise your hands...    TeddyR
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »

I recently moved to a new city for a job and I know a total of one person besides my new roommie.  Most of my closer friends live a couple hours away and I rarely so them before anyway due to work schedules.  So I figured the best thing to do was search for interest groups in my area (I used meetup.com to find them if I'm allowed to schill just for a sec).  Joined a group for RPG gaming, one for hiking (won't be attending for a few months), and one for existential, philosophical discussions.  I'm going to the first RPG meeting tomorrow; I figure it's a way for me to meet other dorks.  But yeah, I totally understand the not having time do much but travel, sleep, and work.  Luckily I get some time during the week to spend with my family but it's never as much time as I would like.  Heck, I'm always wishing I had more time to watch more bad movies.  I've been thinking of starting a local bad movies get together, but I'm not sure yet.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:52:15 AM »

When asked "What's been happening with you?"  My answer is eat-sleep-work.  Being a happily married guy for 26 years the only social life I really have is usually forced on me by my wife and her family.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »

'I have a great collection of slasher flicks' isn't the best line to pick up a guy.
  If I was still dating I'd think "jackpot" if that was said to me... Thumbup

"Always go to the birthday parties, baby showers, weddings, and other gatherings; otherwise, the only time you will see many of those friends and family will be at the funerals."
Thats sadly where my family back home met up a lot.

My social life like many others mentioned is a lot of work.  I probably socialize more on computers than I do anywhere else.  I am a father so my son gets a good lot of my time.  I occasionally have 20 minute conversations with my neighbor but thats it. Outside of work, I'm dreadfully antisocial. I think a major problem of mine is I hate cheap conversation.  Cheap conversation as in things people ask you about that deep down inside you know they don't care about.  Stuff like, "How is your job going" or "How is your family doing" or "Some weather we're having lately".  I figure my converstations should be meaningful to me at least with topics like horror films. 

Perhaps some of you can weigh in on this issue.  Do you have a hard time getting along with your spouse's friends?  My thing is, I'm not originally from the area I'm in and my wife has spent all her life here.  She has friends that live around us who she's been friends with since high school.  I don't really like hanging out with them because I feel like a bit of an outsider.  Its rather uncomfortable.   Lookingup

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:35:49 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,95289.msg95310.html#msg95310

In my experience, trying to get a life can be just as pathetic as not.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »

I have my up and downs with social life. I would have a bunch of friends than boom I would have to get rid of them because their just no good like my last bunch of "friends". I used to go to a bar by my college that I was a regular sort of like cheers but it closed. Great place. Now I guess I'm in a "up" period because once again I have lots of friends. My closest lives not to far and every since I have been vounteering I have lots of punk friends and go to more parties. Its pretty soild now compared to other times.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 04:31:43 PM »

I jet-set around the country drinking Manhattens and solving mysteries in jazz clubs with my beautiful heiress wife.

Whoops,sorry that's Nick & Nora Charles from "The Thin Man". I eat cheese whiz out of my belly button. The only heiress in my life is Paris Hilton Bluesad

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »

Neverending.  I am blessed with many friends, and it seems we are always up to something.  Tonight is the neighborhood "pot luck."  Tomorrow dinner out, and Sunday is brunch with my sister-in-law and friends at the Old Mill Inn.  Frankly, I very often would prefer to stay home, but that gets a bit involved...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's Your Social Life Like? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.