Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:30:36 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's Your Social Life Like? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: What's Your Social Life Like?  (Read 36481 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »

I get out a lot more now than I used to, but I still have this problem with "wallflowering".
Occasionally, I can't help but wonder if I'm not kidding myself.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »

MY post ...brfore the 'Jack' pun is true. I have NO social life. When I was drinking...I had freinds coming out my ears...drinking freinds. Now...even though I still have bouts with the bottle,it's alone. I'm very busy with two teenage boys, Tara Sue,who is very ill,and her daughter Angel,who's an anima geek. I love them all dearly...but it's a lot of work. My social life is non existant now...I almost live inside my own head...being my job consists of operating a huge,loud machine with no one else to talk to....so if I sound crazy or off the wall at times...well...it's because train of concience thought,and the combination of being a starving artist,takes it's toll on my mind.

What I'm trying to say,I guess is...I am slowly losing my marbles.   Twirling

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »

Well I go to shows and opening of galleries, as I have many artist friends. We go to plays and art house cinema, and have get a together fairly often, I'd say we are at a friends house or there at ours at least 2 weeks ends a months in the warmer months and maybe 1 time a month in the colder months. I'll meet a friend for lunch once a week or so, but I live in a small community so going anywhere and not running into someone you know is rare.

Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »

I currently have no social life, and haven't for years.  I'm always home with my girls, usually knitting or sewing something, reading, watching a bad movie or hanging out at a few places I enjoy online.  But even before I had kids I wasn't someone who ran with a big circle of friends, I've always preferred just having a couple of really close ones.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 09:47:47 PM »

I'm now the official contact for a twelve step group.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »

I have a pretty wide circle of friends and acquaintances, especially my arrowhead hunting partners.  But I don't get out as often as I like because of the busy-ness of teaching 7 courses a day and having 13 year old twins who need a LOT of help with homework.  But I do try to go out once or twice and stomp around in the river for points and fossils, with or without a partner . . . but with is always better!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Torgo

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 11:10:06 PM »

I work a 2nd shift work schedule (3:30 to midnight Mon-Fri) and most of my friends work completely conflicting work schedules so I don't get to actually see a lot of people I know. Usually we just have to catch up via semi-regular phone calls.

As far as the weekend goes, I usually hang out with friends on Saturdays which usually involves 2 or 3 people I know coming over to my house.  I don't like large gatherings of people, I like to keep them small.  As for Sunday, I either just chill or go and visit with my sisters and nephews when their schedules permit.

I don't really compare my social life to what is considered to be "normal" or "acceptable" as I just do what I can when I can with people that I'm friends with.  I swore off dating a few years back so that's a reason for me to stay out of clubs paying 9 dollars for a glass of beer.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Torgo

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 11:12:39 PM »

What I'm trying to say,I guess is...I am slowly losing my marbles.   Twirling

The first step on the road to recovery is admiting that you have an issue.............actually..............I'm right there with you. I lost my mind quite some time ago come to think of it.................   TongueOut

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 11:54:40 PM »

I've got a two year old and a five year old.  That's my social life.

"Daddy, I want...."

"Daddy, I need..."

"Daddy, I just ..."

We've lived in the town we're in now for five years.  We have no friends with whom we do ANYTHING; we work and do family stuff.  We have friends at church and such, but only see them there.

Social life?  As in high school, that term does not mean much now at 42.  We have "life."  And, hey, at the end of the day, it's pretty cool on its own.

Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »

If this were the Middle Ages, I'd probably have been a creepy hermit. Instead, I'm just creepy.

It's OK, I'm known as the creepy lady that lives in the brick house on our street, even though i'm not even thirty yet although close, but thats ok too..

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 09:12:38 AM »

My social life consists entirely of my wife and kids.  I used to play guitar in a bar band, but that was years ago.  The other members of the band got married, moved away or became full time alcoholics, so that sort of fell by the wayside.  Every 2 or 3 or 6 months we'll get together at a bar and do some catching up and reminiscing, that's always fun.  In the Summer I play golf, so I've got some good friends there, but we rarely do anything together outside of playing golf.  They're busy with their wives and kids, and so am I.  My wife and I have a few beers, usually at home, on Friday and Saturday night.  That's our big excitement  Cheers 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 09:53:51 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »

I'm very fortunate in that while my social life, other than work and work related functions, is pretty much nonexistant right now, I happen to be married to my best friend. We really don't care what we do, as long as we do it together, which is what we've been doing now for 37 years.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »

I'm shy anyway, and I pulled back or lost touch with most of the few people I hung out with when I went through a several year long depression.  I got spoiled when I first moved back here since there were plenty of cool people in my apartment building for the first six months or so. Lots of drinking, cookouts, getting together to go to eat, movies, etc. I didn't have to go out to find people to hang out with, just knock on a neighbor's door.

As I've gotten a handle on the depression to some degree I've been getting out more, I hang out with my best buddy and his family a lot more. But he gets out less than he used to, due to family stuff and work. I've started to hang out some with a guy at work I always talked with, he's separated from his wife and trying to decide if the marriage is worth saving. Cool guy wish I had a few more friends like him.

After a long time of nothing good happening and then not trying at all, I've been dating some again, mixed results. Nothing serious has developed, wound up in the friend zone with a great girl I'd like to be more than that with. Went out with a couple of others that didn't develop into anything more. Had a couple of people try to fix me up, they never got off the ground. Met another one at a club that I hit it off with, exchanged numbers and made plans to met up the next week, I got stood up. I'm frustrated but not feeling as down about it as I would have at one time. I am sick of the dry spell though.

I'm going to a speed dating thing early next week, we'll see how it goes. I'm telling myself to go in with no expectations. I might meet someone, or I might get some interesting quick five minute horror stories, or I might be putting myself up for a night of social masochism in small doses.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
akiratubo

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »

My social life isn't much.  I have only two real friends and I see them when I can.  I haven't had a girlfriend in about five years now.

For awhile, I was going out places by myself, hoping that simply getting out would let me meet someone, but it just got too depressing to be the only single person everywhere I went.

Part of the problem is that I'm going on 30.  Most of the women my age are already married, in committed relationships, or have kids.  (My not wanting kids doesn't help.)

Honestly, though, aside from being unbearably lonely every so often, I'm actually much happier then when I was in a relationship.  I had quit the knack for picking The Wrong Woman.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »

For my part, I'm single and living with my parents and forever looking for employment in an area where most people just aren't hiring. I go to church regularly and attend the odd community event, but I'm very nearly the only single guy my age around here who isn't away at college (or war). Everybody here is related to everyone else, while my family is relatively new to the area, so a lot of the personal relationships people have are also family relations; this does not leave me a lot to discuss with much of anybody.

It doesn't help matters, either, that I seem to have a touch of Asperger's in addition to a number of hobbies that interest no one else and a rather unpopular mixture of political opinions. Voicing my opinions on anything tends to make people unfriendly toward me, while staying silent makes them ignore me. Meanwhile, I'm not getting paid, the price of gas is up, and contrary to what my parents like to tell me, it pretty much costs money to make and keep friends. So, whenever I'm not going anywhere with them (i.e. usually to church), I mostly just stay home in my room with the odd snack and mess around with my computers, occasionally chasing any job leads I can find in the town newspaper that look at all promising and thinking If only I could get paid to do this...

From what I hear on the news sites I frequent, there are a lot of guys my age out there not so different from myself in these respects, except where the Asperger's is concerned. From what I'm reading on this thread, it seems a good many of us have found our way here. So hi there, everyone! Kinda sucks being so much like Dilbert, doesn't it? Beats the alternatives, though, right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's Your Social Life Like? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.