Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:39:09 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Self Checkouts, Do You Use Them? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you ever used self checkouts at stores?
Yes - 17 (73.9%)
No - 6 (26.1%)
I haven't seen them. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Self Checkouts, Do You Use Them?  (Read 10391 times)
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »

I've used the ones in Lowe's & WalMart.
No one ever seems to use the ones at Lowe's, so it's always "(zip)-in-out".

At Walmart, I tend to pick the line that appears to be shortest.
Last time I used the self check-out, I was caught behind some little old lady who was having trouble figuring it out.
Then it was my turn.
By then, a line had formed behind me, & I had a full shopping cart.
Some of the items, like the lip balm, were too light for the scales, & some of the items were duplicates, as I was stocking up on groceries, so the machine kept giving me grief with the "Skip Bagging?" & "Scanned Twice!" notices.

Ironic how I went from annoyed to embarrassed so quickly.
I left the store empathizing with that little old lady who held me up.

The main places that use them for where I go is Wal Mart (Which I'm trying to avoid), and some of the grocery stores that I go to have them.  I like using them if I have a few items, or lots of small items.  One of my pet peeves with these types of system is when people who would have a shopping cart full of items (LilCerberus no offense) and I'm in a hurry (This happened a lot when I worked in a grocery stores as I would be on my lunch and someone who doesn't understand the machine is trying to use it.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »

I learned my lesson

I've used the ones in Lowe's & WalMart.
No one ever seems to use the ones at Lowe's, so it's always "(zip)-in-out".

At Walmart, I tend to pick the line that appears to be shortest.
Last time I used the self check-out, I was caught behind some little old lady who was having trouble figuring it out.
Then it was my turn.
By then, a line had formed behind me, & I had a full shopping cart.
Some of the items, like the lip balm, were too light for the scales, & some of the items were duplicates, as I was stocking up on groceries, so the machine kept giving me grief with the "Skip Bagging?" & "Scanned Twice!" notices.

Ironic how I went from annoyed to embarrassed so quickly.
I left the store empathizing with that little old lady who held me up.

The main places that use them for where I go is Wal Mart (Which I'm trying to avoid), and some of the grocery stores that I go to have them.  I like using them if I have a few items, or lots of small items.  One of my pet peeves with these types of system is when people who would have a shopping cart full of items (LilCerberus no offense) and I'm in a hurry (This happened a lot when I worked in a grocery stores as I would be on my lunch and someone who doesn't understand the machine is trying to use it.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 08:45:27 PM »

No! When I go into a store, I want to interact with a person, not with a machine.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »

No! When I go into a store, I want to interact with a person, not with a machine.

I like to interact with people to at times, especially if I have a large amount of things I need to buy, then I will use the cashier lanes.  Most of the time when I do go tot he store, which is usually fairly early (Around 6:20 and 6:30 AM) the self check lanes are closed and I will use the night cashier lane.

For me it's more of a convience ito use the self checkout lanes, because I can get in and get out, especially if I don't feel go or if I am in a hurry.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »

I have attempted to use them, twice at Sam's Club and once at Home Depot, each time I had an item or two that the computer couldn't scan or price for some reason, since then I avoid them. The biggest reason I have for not using them is not that I don't trust them, I just enjoy having a real person I can talk to and joke with when I check out. I sympathise with those who get in line behind someone who is technologically challenged, this happens to me once in a while at the ATM machine at my bank, at these times I just grin and bear it. The person at fault for this delay is not the customer, it's the store or bank etc. they should have someone whose duties, in part, are to keep an eye on this type of thing and take care of it in a timely fashion.   

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »

I use them when I go to Zellers because it's never packed when I go there. That's the only place I use them. Everywhere else I go through the regular cashier. I do like them though. They're quick and easy when I have my debit card handy. I don't know if you can use them if you have cash, can you?

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »

I don't know if you can use them if you have cash, can you?

Yep, most of them accept cash and change.
They have that mechanism that sucks up dollars and a slot for change...similar to a soda machine.
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »

I was wondering how that worked... thanks!

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:16 PM »

I've only seen them in one store here,  a Big W (our equivalent of Walmart) and only in that particular store near where I live.  I've never used them and they don't seem to be too popular.  I think it will be a while before they become mainstream.

Surely there would be too much scope for fraud and theft with those things?

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Torgo

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »

I don't get off of work until midnight each night so the Kroger I usually go to near my house has a self checkout aisle but what's stupid is they have to keep a cashier working there to oversee everything. How about just having them work a register instead?!

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Self Checkouts, Do You Use Them? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.