Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:42 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some random questions on stuff I've seen on tv. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Some random questions on stuff I've seen on tv.  (Read 17303 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »

Doesn't your Constitution guarantee the right to free speech?  Aren't printing materials covered by that?

I could be wrong. I'm just going by what I've seen on Law and Order.    TeddyR

Dunno, but as a private company, I think eBay can make it's own rules about what people can and can't sell on there.  I DO know, for instance, you can not sell firearms on eBay, and I think they also banned Nazi paraphernalia.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
316zombie
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »

yup,the bomb books are off limits,due to a past experience in court from a school that was lucky not to get blown up,seems the kid who made the bomb didn't read all the ingredients and the bomb didn't blow,but ebay and the seller still got sued.they won,not sure why,though!
peter johnson

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 06:48:40 PM »

Once upon a time, you could buy things like "The Anarchists Cookbook" in just about any bookstore you chose -- This book contained detailed recipies for a variety of mayhem, including a wide variety of hallucinogens and explosives to be made from household chemicals.
You could also walk into any hardware store and buy enough dynamite to level a city block.
Everyone brought their guns to school (Rural Virginia, Lancaster County, circa 1969-1973), especially if you just got a new one.  Strangely, nobody was shot, nobody was killed.
I have nothing glib to say -- just that it's a sad sign of the times that all our accesses and choices get narrower and narrower based on the actions of a few --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 06:52:24 PM »

Once upon a time, you could buy things like "The Anarchists Cookbook" in just about any bookstore you chose -- This book contained detailed recipies for a variety of mayhem, including a wide variety of hallucinogens and explosives to be made from household chemicals.
You could also walk into any hardware store and buy enough dynamite to level a city block.
Everyone brought their guns to school (Rural Virginia, Lancaster County, circa 1969-1973), especially if you just got a new one.  Strangely, nobody was shot, nobody was killed.
I have nothing glib to say -- just that it's a sad sign of the times that all our accesses and choices get narrower and narrower based on the actions of a few --
peter johnson/denny crane

I blame George Orwell!

You can still buy explosive here at the farm store, provided they know you and most kids still have gun racks in their truck. Sometimes being in a backwood part of the country id a good thing.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »

The Anarchist Cookbook is pretty dangerous - but not for reasons that led to its being banned.  A number of the explosive recipes and even drug recipes are wrong enough to possibly get you killed if you follow them.  Whoever wrote those recipes know just enough to sound like they knew what they were doing when they really didn't.

So, I really don't miss that one not being "available" any more.  I'm not advocating banning books, just saying no great loss in this case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
BTM

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »

yup,the bomb books are off limits,due to a past experience in court from a school that was lucky not to get blown up,seems the kid who made the bomb didn't read all the ingredients and the bomb didn't blow,but ebay and the seller still got sued.they won,not sure why,though!

Because there are too many sleazy lawyers, idiot judges and moron juries that'll award bigass cash settlements to just about anyone, even dumbasses who are hurt front their own stupidity or people who just want make money off someone else who actually earned it.

Which reminds me, I'm working on my "So You Want To Be a Trial Lawyer" humor piece... if anyone's interested I'll email it to them when it's done.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:18:08 PM by BTM » Logged

BTM

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 08:34:08 PM »

Hey, here's another question, can you REALLY make Napalm with just orange juice concentrate and gasoline (a la Fight Club?)

No, I wouldn't actually TRY IT mind you, but I'm just curious.

Strangely enough, I DO know that, according to an interview, the writer of Fight Club Chuck "Cant spell or pronouce his last name"  actually DID make and test each recipe for all the explosive stuff mentioned in the book.  I also knows that, on publication, a few ingredients were removed to prevent impressionable morons from trying out home versions.  I don't remember the "juice and gasoline napalm" thing from the book though, think maybe that line was added for the film version.

Course, could be, been awhile since I've read the book.

So, I'm ASSUMING it's possible, but would take more than JUST OJ and gas....

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 09:22:50 PM »

Hey, here's another question, can you REALLY make Napalm with just orange juice concentrate and gasoline (a la Fight Club?)

No, I wouldn't actually TRY IT mind you, but I'm just curious.

Strangely enough, I DO know that, according to an interview, the writer of Fight Club Chuck "Cant spell or pronouce his last name"  actually DID make and test each recipe for all the explosive stuff mentioned in the book.  I also knows that, on publication, a few ingredients were removed to prevent impressionable morons from trying out home versions.  I don't remember the "juice and gasoline napalm" thing from the book though, think maybe that line was added for the film version.

Course, could be, been awhile since I've read the book.

So, I'm ASSUMING it's possible, but would take more than JUST OJ and gas....

Years ago I had a boyfriend in the Army.  He told me exactly how to make napalm from the stuff found under your kitchen sink.  I wish I'd paid more attention but at the time I'd only vaguely heard of napalm and certainly didn't know how destructive it could be.

There is an easier way out.  You could always make friends with a University chemistry student.  Those guys should know all the secret tips and tricks to levelling a city block.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »

"Napalm" in the generic sense is simply a gelled gasoline based incendiary; there are LOTS of ways to make it with readily available materials.

Orange juice?  No. 

University chemistry student.  Those guys should know all the secret tips and tricks to levelling a city block.

TeddyR TeddyR

Hey, I resemble that remark!!  (No longer student, but been a prof long enough....)   Lookingup
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:47:46 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »

"Napalm" in the generic sense is simply a gelled gasoline based incendiary; there are LOTS of ways to make it with readily available materials.

Orange juice?  No. 

But it does add Vitamin C

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »

Orange juice?  No. 

University chemistry student.  Those guys should know all the secret tips and tricks to levelling a city block.

TeddyR TeddyR

Hey, I resemble that remark!!  (No longer student, but been a prof long enough....)   Lookingup

You must be great fun at parties!   TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
zbranigan
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 08:55:36 PM »

1. used to be a printer TeddyR its put in the dryer to set the ink, if its stacked, the face can come off onto the reverse(not a good look for money), the poker chips serve as weights in the dryer to dislodge the notes from the exterior of the drum AND give it a used look.

2. depends on how cool you are

3. more detonators = more chance of it going off..................... also in die hard he has no use for the detonators and the terrorists do, so using/destroying them is a good tactic.

4. yes

if we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.........checkmate!!
BTM

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

1. used to be a printer TeddyR its put in the dryer to set the ink, if its stacked, the face can come off onto the reverse(not a good look for money), the poker chips serve as weights in the dryer to dislodge the notes from the exterior of the drum AND give it a used look.

Awesome, thanks!

316zombie
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »

when i was in high school,about a thousand years ago,our chem teacher taught us how to use baking soda and a few other things to make a contact explosive paste,we blew up the doorknob and were trapped in the classroom until they removed the entire doorjamb!needless to say,he got fired...he was pretty cool! BounceGiggle
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »

To answer your counterfeiting question, click the link below.
It's quite informative!   Thumbup

http://money.howstuffworks.com/counterfeit.htm

One of the main reasons it's so hard to get away with counterfeiting is because of the type of paper used.
Rag paper, which is controlled by the U.S. government and not available to the public, is what gives our currency that distinctive feel.  You don't get that with other types of paper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some random questions on stuff I've seen on tv. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.