Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:25:15 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Juno!? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Juno!?  (Read 11118 times)
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »

I saw a few weeks ago, I liked it but not as much as the girl I saw it with did (but she was lost as to some of the culture references, mostly the music and movie talk between Juno and Jason Bateman's character).

The dialogue is a bit too hip and clever for it's own good at times, it takes you out of the movie. As a mild fantasy/comedy about teen pregnancy from a young girl's point of view it works. But I didn't find it as deep or meaningful as some people and critics did. While I liked that her parents weren't complete idiots, I have a hard time buying that they wouldn't have been angrier at least early on. The lack of anger from pretty much anyone, the confrontation with the girl from school at the abortion clinic, and the way the actual birth was portrayed is why I look at it as more of a fantasy.

The music I agree works within the context of the film, but I had my fill of it by the time the end credits rolled.

I can see the backlash because of the overexposure the film, the lead actress, and the screenwriter have gotten, even before the Oscar nominations. Diablo Cody's name, looks, and her back story are tailor-made for articles and stories in the media. I've read a couple of her columns in Entertainment Weekly, so far I'm not convinced she would have gotten that gig without the media spotlight she's in right now.

It'll be interesting to see if the film ages well over even the next say five years. 

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
hdjanks
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 03:06:31 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if the film ages well over even the next say five years. 
Im sure it'll age fine, and I still say its a important movie for everyone to see
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 03:02:10 AM »

Possibly, but pop culture moves so fast now, especially in the mainstream. The dialogue in the scene with Ellen Page and Rainn Wilson may be pretty wince inducing in a few years. The film's dialogue already draws attention to itself, and some of it comes off as Diablo Cody just name checking movies and music that she thinks is cool. On this site, most of us get the Argento vs. Fulci discussion, but the audience I saw it with was pretty lost, and it was an all ages group.

As much as I love some of Kevin Smith's films, even rewatching Clerks not too long ago made me realize how much things have changed and what audiences can relate to. Films that focus on teens and 20-somethings IMO don't always hold up as well because the things that make them seem fresh upon release date them horribly even a few years from now. Fast Times at Ridgemont High is still a good film, but I'd hate to try to get some college age kids I know to watch it, I'm not sure they would sit still for anything but THAT Phoebe Cates scene. 

Besides the more clips I see of Juno after watching the film, the more Ellen Page's performance seems to just be channeling Janeanne (I can never spell it right without looking it up) Garofalo's typical screen persona. I'm not trying on purpose to tear down the film, but honestly the more I think about the film since having seen it, the less enamored of it I am. And I had a fairly high opinion of it when I walked out the theater that day, end credit music being the exception.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
hdjanks
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »

Besides the more clips I see of Juno after watching the film, the more Ellen Page's performance seems to just be channeling Janeanne (I can never spell it right without looking it up) Garofalo's typical screen persona. I'm not trying on purpose to tear down the film, but honestly the more I think about the film since having seen it, the less enamored of it I am. And I had a fairly high opinion of it when I walked out the theater that day, end credit music being the exception.

whoa Ellen Page like Garofalo, no way buddy no way, Garofalo never got nominated for her parts
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:48 PM »

Possibly, but pop culture moves so fast now, especially in the mainstream. The dialogue in the scene with Ellen Page and Rainn Wilson may be pretty wince inducing in a few years. The film's dialogue already draws attention to itself, and some of it comes off as Diablo Cody just name checking movies and music that she thinks is cool. On this site, most of us get the Argento vs. Fulci discussion, but the audience I saw it with was pretty lost, and it was an all ages group.

As much as I love some of Kevin Smith's films, even rewatching Clerks not too long ago made me realize how much things have changed and what audiences can relate to. Films that focus on teens and 20-somethings IMO don't always hold up as well because the things that make them seem fresh upon release date them horribly even a few years from now. Fast Times at Ridgemont High is still a good film, but I'd hate to try to get some college age kids I know to watch it, I'm not sure they would sit still for anything but THAT Phoebe Cates scene. 

Well put. I also like this one LESS the more I think about it. As for its ‘buzz’, word is out that the conscious movie watchers are the ones who buy the ticket and buy the dvd because they/we've become so self-conscious of the market by contrast to the tasteless, forgetful hoards that have driven popular culture ever since the Beatles.

Juno is just the latest example of a movie walking the fence between Hollywood promotion money and Indie credibility. It is not poorly made, it is funny, and I recommend watching it with your parents, or someone else who understands that pregnancy requires THOUGHT rather than wittiness or hipster-emo sentiment.

We were asked to feel sorry for Juno, but she and ‘the dad’ did something reprehensibly irresponsible in a world where there are already PLENTY of children in the world who need better parents.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »

We were asked to feel sorry for Juno, but she and ‘the dad’ did something reprehensibly irresponsible in a world where there are already PLENTY of children in the world who need better parents.

Yeah, they've all been adopted by Madonna and Angelina Jolie.   BounceGiggle

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »

I have zero desire to see this movie, as good as it may be.

Seconded. I won't deny that its a good movie- look at all the Oscar nominations it got- but I still don't particularly want to ever see it.

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
redsneaker
Dedicated Viewer

Malcolm, get me my hypo-gun - quickly!

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 08:47:44 PM »

I thought this was a great movie. I think its all in the delivery, actors and music. It all has a very unique style. Plus it is always a bonus when an American film isn't all "paint by number" and has a perfect happy ending. I thought it was very good.

"Strange and unexplained events are occuring."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Juno!? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.