Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:07:36 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981)  (Read 13053 times)
TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »

At the end of that trailer, does he say "My Bline"?

Yep - it seems that all of the trailers that everyone posts on YouTube are off the same damaged original.  The sound skips off in the middle of the title and all you can hear is My Bl---- ------ine.

But hey, it's enough to get the idea.   BounceGiggle

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »

Thanks for the karma GreatWhiteDope.  TeddyR
As for the trailer, I assumed that it was censored not damaged. My train of thought was that Paramount was so iffy on the contents of the film that they hacked the audio on the trailer as to not offend the public.

And that's an excellent trailer by the way. It has the look and feel of an old school grindhouse trailer.  Sigh.... its a pity that "My Bloody Valentine" is going to be remade in 2009.  Bluesad

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 09:45:48 AM »

And that's an excellent trailer by the way. It has the look and feel of an old school grindhouse trailer.  Sigh.... its a pity that "My Bloody Valentine" is going to be remade in 2009.  Bluesad

No suprise there. EVERYTHING is being remade lately. Just dont go see it.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
KYGOTC

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 09:27:38 PM »

The film is quite heavily cut from it's original form.  At the time of it's release, Paramount had to cut the hell out of it to get an R rating, despite George Mihlaka's protests.  The cut footage still exists, but Paramount didn't listen to the fans and released the DVD in it's regular form.  I'm still holding out for an uncut DVD release, but it looks like the chances of seeing one are quite dim.

Yea, i was thinking about at least RENTING this one, but if its all cut up, I dont wanna see it. I HATE censorship.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 06:00:52 AM »

KYGOTC,

Even though it is cut, it is well worth renting.  As I said, it's one of my favorite slashers from that period.  It's a hell of a film, unique and entertaining.  I highly recommend renting it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
KYGOTC

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »

KYGOTC,

Even though it is cut, it is well worth renting.  As I said, it's one of my favorite slashers from that period.  It's a hell of a film, unique and entertaining.  I highly recommend renting it.

Yea, but if I watch it, I'll know Ill be missing things that the director wanted me to see, and....I dunno. I guess Im just picky that way.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 02:38:44 PM »

True, you will not see everything that the director intended, but it's still a hell of a good film even in it's annotated form.  If you enjoyed any of the 80s slashers (F13, Halloween, etc) then give this one a try.  It was one of the few films of the time to bring in a new character like that which wasn't a supernatural killing machine.  It's just a great little film all around.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
KYGOTC

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »

True, you will not see everything that the director intended, but it's still a hell of a good film even in it's annotated form.  If you enjoyed any of the 80s slashers (F13, Halloween, etc) then give this one a try. 

Hmm... Well I've seen the 1st Friday, and it bored the heck out of me. And I've seen the 1st halloween, and now its my favorite slasher. I dunno, the sensorship still p**ses me off, but I guess I'll go rent it.

Torgo

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:43 PM »

I thought that a friend of mine had an uncut VHS copy of this time that he got from Japan years ago  but according to the IMDb the censored R rated version is the only one that's in existence.

Here's what they list as far as cuts go:

The following scenes were trimmed or re-edited to avoid an "X" rating from the MPAA:
Gore was cut from the pre-credits sequence where the woman is pushed backwards onto a pickaxe.

Mabel's mutilated body was originally on screen for much longer.

The scene where the bartender is playing peek-a-boo with the Harry Warden dummy was edited so that no blood is shown. He was pickaxed up his chin and out his left eye, then dragged along the ground with his eyeball hanging out.

The face-boiling of Dave was shortened so you don't see the after-effects while he is dying.

Graphic head-on shots of Sylvia's shower impalement were deleted.

A stock footage close-up of the miner's light being shown at the camera replaces the bulk of a shot of Hollis' bleeding face after he has been nail-gunned. In the widely-seen release, the scene picks up after Hollis has mostly turned away.

Howard's hanging is shortened. In the original print, he was decapitated. The decapitation was cut out, so it looks like his body just falls, stops short when the end of the wire is reached, sprays blood all over Patty and Sarah, and then resumes falling. Not only do the cuts imposed render the scene senseless, but they also make it so there's no payoff to Hollis' earlier comment that Howard would lose his head if it weren't attached.

Axel's left arm gets trapped under rocks in the cave-in at the end. He rips it off to get away, leaving his limb behind to horrify everybody else. But since the key footage of the arm removal all had to be removed itself, it is hard to see exactly what happened.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Producer John Dunning claims to have both footage of the cut scenes as well as a complete negative with 8 to 9 minutes of extra footage. He is currently trying to find a way to release a complete uncut DVD, but rights issues with Paramount Studios have so far prevented that.

Michael's and Harriet's death was originally on screen. The killer enters and shoves a drill bit into his back. The "R" rated version only shows the killer entering and the aftermath later.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 11:48:48 PM »

I thought that a friend of mine had an uncut VHS copy of this time that he got from Japan years ago  but according to the IMDb the censored R rated version is the only one that's in existence.

Here's what they list as far as cuts go:

The following scenes were trimmed or re-edited to avoid an "X" rating from the MPAA:
Gore was cut from the pre-credits sequence where the woman is pushed backwards onto a pickaxe.

Mabel's mutilated body was originally on screen for much longer.

The scene where the bartender is playing peek-a-boo with the Harry Warden dummy was edited so that no blood is shown. He was pickaxed up his chin and out his left eye, then dragged along the ground with his eyeball hanging out.

The face-boiling of Dave was shortened so you don't see the after-effects while he is dying.

Graphic head-on shots of Sylvia's shower impalement were deleted.

A stock footage close-up of the miner's light being shown at the camera replaces the bulk of a shot of Hollis' bleeding face after he has been nail-gunned. In the widely-seen release, the scene picks up after Hollis has mostly turned away.

Howard's hanging is shortened. In the original print, he was decapitated. The decapitation was cut out, so it looks like his body just falls, stops short when the end of the wire is reached, sprays blood all over Patty and Sarah, and then resumes falling. Not only do the cuts imposed render the scene senseless, but they also make it so there's no payoff to Hollis' earlier comment that Howard would lose his head if it weren't attached.

Axel's left arm gets trapped under rocks in the cave-in at the end. He rips it off to get away, leaving his limb behind to horrify everybody else. But since the key footage of the arm removal all had to be removed itself, it is hard to see exactly what happened.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Producer John Dunning claims to have both footage of the cut scenes as well as a complete negative with 8 to 9 minutes of extra footage. He is currently trying to find a way to release a complete uncut DVD, but rights issues with Paramount Studios have so far prevented that.

Michael's and Harriet's death was originally on screen. The killer enters and shoves a drill bit into his back. The "R" rated version only shows the killer entering and the aftermath later.

that really, really sucks. what do they think we're gonna do? go out there and replicate the carnage...it would be difficult enough to find a decent miner's uniform complete with gas-mask and head-lamp to get busy with for a start. The butchering done to these films in the editing-suite is far greater than the on-screen butchering they attempt to remove...what a nasty paradox that is. we like movies...we want to see them. jeezuz  Lookingup

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
KYGOTC

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 12:21:11 AM »

I know! This sucks! Its a crime is what it is. I mean, this is AMERICA, for crissake! Land of the gansta gangsta shoot em' ups and crappy SAW movies!! Freedom of speech, you ingrates!! (Which i assume ties into freedom of sensorship or something similar to that.)

Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:44 AM »

Torgo, karma to you for posting those cut scenes. I'm proud to say that A) I was pretty certain that Howard was decapitated by the noose around his neck and B) I noticed that
Axel is missing an arm at the end. I thought I was crazy but you have proven that I am not... well at least not in respects to this film.  Wink

It boggles my mind when movies are so heavily edited these days. Back then it was to soften the blow of violence and gore onscreen. (CURSE YOU MPAA!) Now its a merchandising ploy (i.e. show the watered down PG-13 cut in the theater, then release the "uncut" version on DVD). Sigh.... for a country that is supposed the bastion of freedom in the world, we sure have a lot of censoring in our media.  Bluesad

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.