Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:38:31 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Entertainers Taken Too Early « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Entertainers Taken Too Early  (Read 29227 times)
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 01:11:38 PM »

ian curtis

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 02:09:41 PM »

Not to downplay the tragedy in any of these examples, in these kinds of situations, I tend to ponder whether an untimely death will enhance the memory of a celebrity.

They basically get frozen at their peak, when they're young, fresh, innovative. They don't have a chance to wear out their welcome. Jimi Hendrix will always be that young guitar genius. James Dean will always be a young rebel and Marylin Monroe a blonde bombshell. John Belushi will always be Bluto or Jake Blues. John Candy never had a chance to make as many lacklustre movies as some of his SCTV co-stars.

It's kind of like the Denis Leary routine where he suggests that Elvis should have been assassinated in 1968 so we could all remember him as he was then.

The other side of the coin is that some stars are great their whole lives (Bob Hope, George Burns, etc.) And some are able to reinvent themselves enough that we would have been denied a great deal if they'd gone after their initial success. But you have to wonder how many performers would still enjoy their legendary status if they were still around today.

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way meant to suggest that an untimely death is a good thing for anyone. Please, do not get the wrong idea.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »

AndyC- On a similar note...I can't really picture Sid Vicious going anywhere beyond the SEX PISTOLS. It was almost if he was born...and died...to br a punk rock martyr (?), if that is the correct term for his tragic and self -destructive life and death.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »

AndyC- On a similar note...I can't really picture Sid Vicious going anywhere beyond the SEX PISTOLS. It was almost if he was born...and died...to br a punk rock martyr (?), if that is the correct term for his tragic and self -destructive life and death.
Yeh, but was he any good?  Apparently not.  It was STEVE JONES playing bass on Never Mind The BollocksBluesad

How about:
JOHN LENNON
OTIS REDDING
FRANKIE LYMON
JOHN BONHAM
KEITH MOON
JOHN DENVER
DINAH WASHINGTON
BIX BEIDERBECKE
ROBERT JOHNSON
NANCY LAMOTT

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:22:16 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »

Small | Large

Charlie Parker, August 29, 1920 – March 12, 1955.  Could still be with us today.  I can't imagine what he might have done to music with an extra 30-40 years.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

Yeh, but was he any good?  Apparently not.  It was STEVE JONES playing bass on Never Mind The BollocksBluesad

[/b]

My point exactly. Beyond his image in the Pistols....he hadn't much to fall back on. It's sad. Heroin turned him into a ghost ...even while still alive.  Bluesad Addiction and death turned him from a talentless flash in the pan into a punk  icon.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »

My point exactly. Beyond his image in the Pistols....he hadn't much to fall back on. It's sad. Heroin turned him into a ghost ...even while still alive.  Bluesad Addiction and death turned him from a talentless flash in the pan into a punk  icon.
Yes, I saw your point, which I was fortifying with my comments.  It is sad.  He's an icon, but was a no-talent.  Kind of fortifies AndyC's point, too. 

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »

Not to downplay the tragedy in any of these examples, in these kinds of situations, I tend to ponder whether an untimely death will enhance the memory of a celebrity.

They basically get frozen at their peak, when they're young, fresh, innovative. They don't have a chance to wear out their welcome. Jimi Hendrix will always be that young guitar genius. James Dean will always be a young rebel and Marylin Monroe a blonde bombshell. John Belushi will always be Bluto or Jake Blues. John Candy never had a chance to make as many lacklustre movies as some of his SCTV co-stars.

It's kind of like the Denis Leary routine where he suggests that Elvis should have been assassinated in 1968 so we could all remember him as he was then.

The other side of the coin is that some stars are great their whole lives (Bob Hope, George Burns, etc.) And some are able to reinvent themselves enough that we would have been denied a great deal if they'd gone after their initial success. But you have to wonder how many performers would still enjoy their legendary status if they were still around today.

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way meant to suggest that an untimely death is a good thing for anyone. Please, do not get the wrong idea.

I agree, because of these untimeley deaths they will never have a major screw up ruining their name, however, I would rather they still be alive considering what else they might have been able to do with their lives.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »

Marvin Gaye- at age 44.  Could've done a few more good records.  Sad.

Small | Large

How about:
JOHN LENNON
OTIS REDDING
FRANKIE LYMON
JOHN BONHAM
KEITH MOON
JOHN DENVER
DINAH WASHINGTON
BIX BEIDERBECKE
ROBERT JOHNSON
NANCY LAMOTT

Apparently, Sid even asked Lemmy of Motorhead to teach him to play bass.  Sid was so bad, that at certain points of a show, the band would unplug Sid.  Lemmy said Sid still couldn't play at the time he died.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

Have to second and third Stevie Ray Vaughan.

The thing is -- he was recovering from alcoholism, and was on his way back.  He was still capable of the most incredible balls-to-the-wall playing, and I would have to guess he would have gotten better still.   A sad loss indeed.   Bluesad

I wish I had a chance to hear him in person.  I envy those of you who did.
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »

James Dean
Humphrey Bogart
Clark Gable
Elvis Presley
Heath Ledger
John Lennon
Ian Curtis
Michael Hutchence

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »

Richard Pryor.  Too funny.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 12:17:30 AM »

Apparently, Sid even asked Lemmy of Motorhead to teach him to play bass.  Sid was so bad, that at certain points of a show, the band would unplug Sid.  Lemmy said Sid still couldn't play at the time he died.

[/quote]

Reminds me of this guy who busks in our city mall.  He's been playing sax since I was a teenager and after all these years (20 plus) he still sounds like crap.  I don't understand how you can do something so regularly and just.not.get.better      Question

Surely a few proper lessons wouldn't go astray.

Whilst I'm on this odd tangent, the same comment applies to Madonna's......ahem.....singing voice.  With all her cash, surely she could've hired a classical teacher to show her something?

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 12:33:03 AM »

Great inclusion and such a ridiculous way to die, at the gunpoint of his own father.  A g*ddamned shame !!! 
Your Wikipedia is showing, dove...  TongueOut
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:39:39 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »

Great inclusion and such a ridiculous way to die, at the gunpoint of his own father.  A g*ddamned shame !!! 
Your Wikipedia is showing, dove...  TongueOut
The part about them unplugging him, I don't believe that.  I don't think they would.  I generally don't believe Wiki unless I've heard it stated somewhere else as well.

I should have prefaced it with the phrase "According to Wiki:"

He was only like, what, 21 when he died?

Like the Pistols, but they were kinda bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:56:37 AM by HappyGilmore » Logged

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Entertainers Taken Too Early « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.