Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:28:14 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Puppet Master Box Set « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puppet Master Box Set  (Read 3739 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: February 16, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

Well if you are here you know what the Puppet Master movies are, they are not going to win any awards, but they are classics amongst those of us that lack low budget movies and these are pretty low budget.
Sadly the DVD quality is just as low budget as the movies. I've had to send my set back to Full Moon as one of the disc was unreadable on any player. that would be Puppet Master I. The overall transfer quality is not that good and while they have a few extras on each disc like the Video Zone and some trailers they appear to be nothing more than bad transfers from the original VHS tapes and not digital re-masters. Audio quality is ok, nothing great, seems to be just regular 2 channel stereo and not 5.1 surround sound that most movies are released in, even old ones.
As you know Charles Band is known for doing things on the cheap and it would seem his latest offering of DVD movies is no exception and while I enjoy the campy-goofiness of the Full Moon line of releases, you'd think that at the asking price they'd at the very least but a little effort into the DVD transfers. Granted if you catch them on one of there half price sales with free shipping then they are worth the money. So keep this in mind if you are adding to you collection the latest Full Moon Entertainment box sets, like Trancers, Charles Band Box Set I and II, Stuart Gordon Box set, Demonic Toys box set and many more, they all have low transfer quality. All these series have been released on DVD in Australia by a company called Kangaroo Films. Although according to wiki they are ostensibly Australian discs, they are notably region-free and in NTSC rather than Australia's native PAL TV system, possibly to circumvent legal issues with Paramount, who forced discontinuation of the R1 Puppet Master Box Set. However, there is no such company as Kangaroo films, so it is very likely that the Box Sets are bootlegs, even though all are sold directly by Full Moon Entertainment. Just so you know they my not be from the best possible manufacturing process as proof as the number of complaints I've read on various websites about quality and read issues, even if they cheerfully replace them and often offer you a free single disc video as a gift for the trouble.
The latest release of the Puppet Master Box Set is through Koch Vision, whereas the rest of the Full Moon videos I currently have are on Kangaroo Films. I do have another large order coming in and we'll see who released them.

I'm not reviewing the movies here just the quality of the disc, I mean it's Puppet Master movie for pete sake! Oh scary! Evil puppets that a 4 year old could out think and run that somehow manage to take down full grown men and women with the greatest of ease. Guess no one has ever heard of the drop kick.

So the collection as a whole is a about 3 out of 5 as far as quality of video and audio goes. The movie range in quality of from a 2 to a 4 on the b-movie scale. I'll leave it to you to decide which movie gets which rating. There is in the box 8 DVD's, 7 original Puppet Master movies and 1 DVD with 45 trailers on it, if the the trailers on the movie disc weren't enough.

For a detailed review of each disc, Digital Bits has a decent review of them here.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/puppetmaster1.html

The_Lonely_Lady
New Visitor

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »

I got the Full Moon Classics 1 - they weren't THAT bad, well the films were  TeddyR, but the quality was reasonable. Sure it's not digital, but it was watchable. I probably don't have the highest of standards if I'm buying this crap in the first place though.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Puppet Master Box Set « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.