Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:14:41 PM
714319 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Obsolete skills « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obsolete skills  (Read 4882 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: February 20, 2008, 08:57:33 AM »

Check these out and see how many of these obsolete skills you have or have had.

http://obsoleteskills.com/Skills/Skills

Ah! DOS and Basic, those were the days.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:25:53 AM »

• Adjusting the dwell angle on the distributor of your car's engine? - Well, I can diagnose and fix pretty much anything on a car, so long as it doesn't have a computer on it.
  • Adjusting the tracking on a VCR - I don't know if that ever actually worked.  If the picture looked bad, you could play with those controls, but all I ever accomplished was to make the picture look bad in a different way.  Well, maybe once it worked, back in about 1991.
  • Loading film into a 35 mm camera - I've actually got a camera that uses film.  Damned inconvenient and expensive (Go to the store, buy the film.  Go to the store, drop off the film for developing.  Go to the store, pick up the film).  Good that they've got digital now.  I bet it would be really cool to have one of those. 
  • Stacking a quarter on an arcade game to indicate you have next - lol, I remember that!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:36:42 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »

I've got a digital SLR that I'm still learning how to use. The great thing about it is that I screw up all the pictures I want and it doesn't cost anything.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »

Smile

I had to smile at the one that said "Using a 16mm film projector". I still use one at least two or three times a month.

I have also used film cameras many times (motion and still) but have not yet used a digital camera.

Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »

neo conservatism
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:47:20 AM »

Either I'm really skilled or really old as I have nearly all those skills and a bunch more that are older then those.

About these not on the list (I at least I didn't see them)

Milk a cow ... did this within the last week.
Slaughter a cow/pig/goat/chicken/turkey/deer/mutton etc. did all these within the last year.
Chop wood, did this the other day.
Patch plaster wall/ceiling (not drywall, real plaster) I think I'm the only guy in 100 miles of here that does it.
Pump water by hand (got one at the barn)
and so many others ...

I think it's that I'm just getting old.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:57:23 AM »

Many of those seem to fall into three categories:

Old computer and mainframe tasks (and audio and video mediums)
Caveman stuff
Rural living

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »

...About these not on the list (I at least I didn't see them)

Milk a cow ... did this within the last week.
Slaughter a cow/pig/goat/chicken/turkey/deer/mutton etc. did all these within the last year.
Chop wood, did this the other day.
Patch plaster wall/ceiling (not drywall, real plaster) I think I'm the only guy in 100 miles of here that does it.
Pump water by hand (got one at the barn)
and so many others ...

I think it's that I'm just getting old.

Around here, it is called being competent.
Rural living indeed.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
raj

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »

Balancing The Tonearm On A Turntable

waddya mean "obsolete"?  I've got lots of vinyl.  Now I just need a new needle for it.

And threading a needle?  Do people just throw away shirts now if they lose a button?

Thinking For Oneself
Sadly, all too true for most people these days.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

Since when is threading a needle an "obsolete skill"???????   I know LOTS of people who can do that.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 06:07:52 PM »

Darkroom photography skills - I thought it was so cool when I learned that around 1989 or thereabouts. Came in handy for a few years anyway.

A lot of obsolete skills in the newspaper business, and I learned most of them. I arrived at the beginning of desktop publishing, when plates were made from film negatives of pages cut and pasted by hand. Photos were resized and screened photographically and cropped with an x-acto knife. There were drawers of black tape in various widths and patterns for making lines and borders. Everything that got pasted together went through the waxer, which had to be heated up at the beginning of the day. It applied a uniform coating of moderately adhesive melted wax to the back of paper. I managed to just miss the days of the big, blue Compugraphic phototypesetting machine, that used fonts on transparencies that you bought and installed. And don't get me started on what we would have to do if we ever wanted a full-colour photo. Oh, and the finished full-page broadsheet negatives, shot on a vertical camera (another of my obsolete skills), once they were developed and dried, would need to be "opaqued" by hand. You put the neg on a light table, took a special pen, and meticulously touched up any place there might have been dust or a bit of a shadow. Someone would then have to drive the negatives to the printer, usually in the middle of the night by the time it was all done. Plate making was more of the same sort of thing (but using a lengthy UV exposure, similar to making a silk screen), but we didn't do any of that.

These days, the whole thing is done digitally from beginning to end. Digital cameras, word processing, scanners, OCR, electronic pagination, programs that actually exchange files of different formats. When it's all done, just FTP the PDFs to the press, where they might use direct-to-plate technology if they don't have press that can print directly from digital. I don't even need HTML to update the website anymore - it's just cut and paste and the rest is automated.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 08:37:21 AM »

AndyC, I worked for 14 years as a typesetter with a business forms printer (quit last April), and they still use the camera, opaquer, film, etc., to print, so I've got most of those skills. I did my work on computer (I was also their IT guy), printed to an imagesetter to get the film negative (either that or we shot a printout), processed the film, and gave the film to our platemaker. As far as I know, they still use this method because the initial cost of going direct to plate is too high for them.

As for other obsolete skills, I do know DOS and I did program in BASIC (though only in high school and college). In fact, I have most of the obsolete computer skills with the exceptions of programming in any language other than BASIC and doing the actual electronics work (EPROMs and such). I can thread a needle and sew buttons and do most of the things required to be reasonably self-sufficient.

Many of the things on that list only serve to highlight our throw-away culture (if it's broken, throw it away and buy a new one). I don't choose to live that way; I want to learn to do as many things as I possibly can, even if I don't use the skills more than once or twice. I guess I'm part Boy Scout (Be Prepared!) or something.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Obsolete skills « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.