Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:05:26 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Watches, who wears one? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Watches, who wears one?  (Read 6663 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: February 21, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »

I gave up wearing a watch about three years ago.  You can't get away from time pieces in our society, so I figure why the hell am I wearing one around?

The computer has a clock, there's a clock on my office wall, the cell phone has a clock. I find it kinda liberating to be somewhere and not know what time it is occasionally.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »

I used to wear like 5 or six of them all at once just for the goofiness of it, but then i realized they would make my arms sweaty and Id have to take them all off and It'd just be this big hastle, so I stopped.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:10:22 PM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »

I have a dozen watches all of them dead as I never wear them any more, as geezer said, there is a clock on my phone, one in the truck, you can't pass a bank without a clock, one on my PDA, one on the GPS, one on the PC the damn things are everywhere and since I don't punch a clock I really don't care what time it is.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »

Have to agree that can be liberating to be somewhere and not know what time it is.  

I find that the luxury of being 'off-the-clock' ended as soon as I had a family. Without the kids/spouse/clients to be 'there' for, I could do most things without watching the time.  My time was my own.  Those days were golden in some ways.  Things took the time that they took, and being my own boss, that was just fine.

So I wear a watch (worn facing the inside of my wrist for riding - does that make me odd enough?) as most of the time I do need to keep track of time: I spend a good deal of it outdoors and clockless.  I know that my job is not the norm, but I need a watch so I can be there when the schoolbus arrives, to get organized for the daily appointments (lessons) I have, to know how long I have worked/applied therapy to a certain horse, keep track of how long I have been riding out so I know when to turn around go back, and to 'clock' our pace if/when I am conditioning for competition.

I resisted putting clocks up in my barn for the longest time: something about pinning down my barn-time with something as architectural as a clock offended me- it just did not feel right.  

Generally, if I do get into doing something and lose track of the time, somebody comes looking for me - particularly if I have not given them a time-frame before hand.  One of the joys of being a 'mom'.   Twirling

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »

I own four watches.  Two of them are nice ones.

It's funny...
I'll wear one for months and then take it off and not wear it for 6 months or longer.
Then I'll repeat the process.
And I could never wear those metal band watches.  They irritate the heck out of my wrist.
All my watches have to have plastic or leather bands.

And men should never ever wear their watches on the right wrist!
The general rule that I was taught is:
Left wrist for men.  Right wrist for women.
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »

I quit wearing a watch years ago as I found looking constantly so I just quit.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »

How ironic that this thread should come up today!

I wear a watch every day.  I catch 2 buses to work and I need to know what time it is so I can make the connecting bus on time.  On the weekend I only wear my watch if I leave the house.  When I come home in the afternoons, I take off all my jewellery including my watch and don't put it on until the next day.

The ironic bit is this:  the last thing I do before leaving in the morning is put on all my jewellery.  But this morning I left early and I just walked out without any accessories INCLUDING MY WATCH!   Aaaarrrgghhh!  I feel lost and naked without it.  Thankfully I was early and I looked at the town hall clock to check if I was on time for my connecting bus.

Thank goodness my pc has a clock in the corner.  How else would I know when it's time for lunch?

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »

Never wear a watch.  There's at least one clock in just about every room I enter, one in the car, one on the computer (and another behind me).  That's plenty. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »

I quit wearing a watch years ago as I found looking constantly so I just quit.

I made the same decision about 15 years ago.  But I really love watches, as a gift or jewellery if not as a real timepiece.  I also like the idea of watches.  Theres an antique watch shop in  Eugene Oregon I love to just walk through.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »

I stopped wearing a watch a long time ago myself. I do have some nice ones but I don't like anything on my wrist. Same with rings, I just don't like to wear that stuff.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »

I don't like wrist watches so I have a pocket watch, this has lead to some funny looks from the younger generation, some of whom have never seen one, a high school student once asked me if I was trying to start a new fashion fad, at the car wash recently a young girl asked me the time, I pulled my watch out of the fob pocket on my levi's, opened it, told her the time, she then asked why I didn't just look at my cell phone (I wear one on my belt) I said because it's a phone not a watch, she asked what kind of watch it was, when I told her it's called a pocket watch she said "so that's what that little pocket's for, it still would have been easier to look at your phone". I sometimes agree with the statement "Youth is wasted on the young".  Smile

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
BTM

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »

I used to wear a watch a looong time ago.  Crazily enough, I found at worked time seemed to go faster when I DIDN'T wear a watch.  Imagine that...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

I like watches, but the only ones I look good in are the metal ones, but the band is too big for my wrist and my family finally told me a year ago, "you look like a doofus."

I'm still getting wierd looks from people so I think I need a little more work.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »

I quit wearing them in high school, since they couldn't stand up to the abuse I put them through and I couldn't afford the fancy ones that were supposed to be so much better. I still have the pocket watch I got from my father back then, at times I want to carry it again, but it has to be taken to a shop every six months to be wound or reset to keep running. More trouble than it's worth unfortunately.

I do have the clock o n the cell phone and use it, but have gotten by for years with just the clocks on walls, in the car, etc.

Th sad thing about the girl DENNIS was talking about is that she didn't even realize that looking at your cell phone for the time is also the same thing as pulling out a pocket watch. I'm surprised there hasn't been a minitrend already of watch chain/fobs for cell phones. Maybe there will be if men in business attaire ever start wearing three piece suits on a regualr basis. The holsters and the bejeweled and decorated ones remind me of decorative chains and fobs anyway.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »

I don't like wrist watches so I have a pocket watch, this has lead to some funny looks from the younger generation, some of whom have never seen one, a high school student once asked me if I was trying to start a new fashion fad, at the car wash recently a young girl asked me the time, I pulled my watch out of the fob pocket on my levi's, opened it, told her the time, she then asked why I didn't just look at my cell phone (I wear one on my belt) I said because it's a phone not a watch, she asked what kind of watch it was, when I told her it's called a pocket watch she said "so that's what that little pocket's for, it still would have been easier to look at your phone". I sometimes agree with the statement "Youth is wasted on the young".  Smile

Should of just told her your cell phone stopped running because you forgot to wind it up. That would have got an interesting look.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Watches, who wears one? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.