Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:14 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CENSORED!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: CENSORED!!  (Read 23025 times)
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 01:05:39 PM »

But all that was at the behest of the studio who wanted to deliver an R and not an NC-17. That's money talking and not censorship. Warner Brothers could have legally delivered an NC-17 film without any objection from any authority.

But that is a form of censorship.

I mean, if you were ab artist and your most famous painting had some nudity it in, you wouldn't paint over the nudity just so it could hang in a family friendly art gallery.

This is apples and oranges. R-rated movies make more money than NC-17 movies. Cinemas are not prevented from showing NC-17 movies they just don't like them because they don't make money. Thus Warner Brothers ordered them to deliver an R-rated movie. Ratings are not censorship. Any adult is free to walk into the theater where an NC-17 title is being shown. In addition you are welcome to view any unrated title you wish in the privacy of your own home.

Getting back to your example any artist is free to create any art he wishes. The State is not going crash down his door and destroy his art or throw him in jail. However, the artist has no authority to force a venue to accept his art, that's not the way it works. That artist has the right to search for a venue that will display his art. The owner of the venue has the right to respect the wishes of his clientele who may or may not wish to view the art in question.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:30:34 PM by Justy » Logged

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »

Anything that's edited by anyone for any reason to make it less objectionable or to conform to a standard is, by definition, censorship.

Huh?  Censorship is BY DEFINITION a legal/government issue.  I see how you are reading the dictionary definition and getting the idea that any editing is censorship, but a key idea in those definitions is SUPPRESSION.

Voluntary editing is not censorship.  The term includes a force component.

A director cutting scenes to get a lower rating on a movie is not censorship.  It's marketing.  Again, as I said before, NO ONE is stopping him from including anything he wants in his films; HE is CHOOSING to alter the content.  Where is the suppression or use of force in this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »

Voluntary editing is not censorship.  The term includes a force component.

No, here's the definition:

To examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable.

It says nothing about who does the censoring.  I can f**king edit this g-dd--med post myself if I didn't want to be kicked off the board by the moderator.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
ulthar

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »

You see the word SUPPRESS in that definition you posted?

That's the key.  It has to be SUPPRESSED to be censorship, not voluntary editing to meet a financial, moral or any other goal.

It is the threat or use of force that makes something censorship.  This is really, really basic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 01:57:20 PM »

Ok, regardless of wether or not Oldskool's deffinition of "censorship" is the "official" term, what he is talking about is the thing that I'm mad about. And I agree, It doesn't have to be government issue to be considered "censorship". If the producers are afraid of what the mainstream will say and tells the director to cut out a cretian part or parts of a movie, that to me is censorship.

Similar cases:

The comic book scandals of the 50's brought in the Comic Book Code because of some idiot who thought Wonder Woman was a lesbian and that the E.C. comics were causing juvenile delinquentsy.

The music censorship of the early 90's that was caused by those polititian's wives. Thanks to them, we now have those black & white "PARENTAL ADVISORY" stickers.

But at the same time, i think there is a limmit, because I don't think little kids need to be seeing/hearing explicit content. But you don't need to censor the material to prevent that. The parents should be smart enough to judge if they want their kids to be exposed to it or not. If it's to raunchy for the kid, don't let him/her watch it or listen to it. simple.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »

Ok, regardless of wether or not Oldskool's deffinition of "censorship" is the "official" term, what he is talking about is the thing that I'm mad about. And I agree, It doesn't have to be government issue to be considered "censorship". If the producers are afraid of what the mainstream will say and tells the director to cut out a cretian part or parts of a movie, that to me is censorship.

But that is NOT censorship. The producers don't care about what people will say... they care about what people will pay. It has nothing to do with being afraid critical censure. It has everything to do with the bottom line. $$$

And I will say again, you can't force the public to accept your art. You display your art to your audience who is only a portion of the general public.

Similar cases:

The comic book scandals of the 50's brought in the Comic Book Code because of some idiot who thought Wonder Woman was a lesbian and that the E.C. comics were causing juvenile delinquentsy.

When dealing with children you throw all adult standards out the window. Comics were targeted towards children and thus there was industry regulation at that time. However, there was no government involvement. The CCA had no legal authority. The industry was self-regulated to accept the CCA stamp of approval. Again, it boils down to money and public acceptance of a product.

The music censorship of the early 90's that was caused by those polititian's wives. Thanks to them, we now have those black & white "PARENTAL ADVISORY" stickers.

So what about the stickers. Are they stopping from you from listening to the music? That is just a tool for parents. Since parents are responsible for their children the stickers just provide a tool.

But at the same time, i think there is a limmit, because I don't think little kids need to be seeing/hearing explicit content. But you don't need to censor the material to prevent that. The parents should be smart enough to judge if they want their kids to be exposed to it or not. If it's to raunchy for the kid, don't let him/her watch it or listen to it. simple.

Why are you criticizing the stickers when you just said here that parents should be watching their children? That's the whole point of the stickers. Those stickers are not censoring anything. The CD is still sitting in the display bin waiting to be purchased.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:52:47 PM by Justy » Logged

ulthar

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »

"Those Politicians" would be Al Gore - the wife was Tipper.

It is simply not practical to ask parents to listen to every song on every album their children might want to buy to determine if it is "approved."  The sticker is a tool - what is WRONG with that?  It's there voluntarily for crying out loud.

Really, I think this is a molehill being pushed into the guise of a mountain.  Sorry, guys, I got to let this one go now.  I've got bigger fish to fry this afternoon....

My wife called a little bit ago.  Though she worked for over an hour to save the life of a 3 week old baby, she could not.  She saw this same child on well visit about one week ago and he was fine. Some problems are bigger than a movie rating or a music studio chosing to let parents know their album is for adults only.

--Real Genius
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 02:54:54 PM »

"Those Politicians" would be Al Gore - the wife was Tipper.

That was all Tipper. Al was too busy inventing the internet back in the 90's.

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »

You see the word SUPPRESS in that definition you posted?

Suppress means to lessen the impact of something.

To wit:  We say that people have "passed on" as  opposed to "Boy, it sucks that Tim got splattered all over the highway by that 18 wheeler"

Concerning movies, until the 60's you couldn't show a gun and the person being shot in the same frame until (I think) Sergio Leone did it in his spaghetti Westerns.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 07:23:18 PM »

Alright, I think Im gonna stop posting in this thread coz it seems to be causing some friction, so I'll end it by saying this: To all his/her own opinion.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »

Alright, I think Im gonna stop posting in this thread coz it seems to be causing some friction, so I'll end it by saying this: To all his/her own opinion.

No friction from my end.  I'm just saying that "censorship" doesn't mean the big bad Government.  The way I talk in front of my friends when watching a Pats game is different than when I'm eating Thanksgiving dinner.  We all censor.  The Government just does it in a legal way...but they're standards keep changing so there is hope.

Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »

Hey, there is no friction on my end either. This is an honest debate and an exchange of ideas. This is how civilization thrives. I understand that others have differing opinions than I do on how to define things. So please, don't think that any of my words are being said with anything other than a desire to state my case.

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »

Hey, there is no friction on my end either. This is an honest debate and an exchange of ideas. This is how civilization thrives. I understand that others have differing opinions than I do on how to define things. So please, don't think that any of my words are being said with anything other than a desire to state my case.

Word!

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »

It's not so much censorship, but the blasphemy of re-cutting old cartoon to remove what some arbitrary studio deems unfit for todays lofty standards. I mean you just don't mess with Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry it's just wrong.

I just strongly disagree with studios that bend to modern so called morals and re-edit old movies or cartoons because they are not culturally sensitive. It's an artist work, and IMHO you just don't go tampering with an artist work. Would you paint a tank-top on Adolphe Bouguereau's 'Evening Mood'? I don't think so, so why edit classic movies and cartoon that were produces in different political era? 

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 02:40:40 PM »

Those old Johnny Quest cartoons were apparently edited because they originally contained dialogue that would be consider offensive to some races nowadays. Personally I don't agree with this at all. I think all materials should be presented at they were originally intended to be seen, offensive to some or not (I mean they constantly make fun of the white male on TV and no one complains about that). I really think a warning and channel rating for TV should be enough and typically that is what is done on most Canadian channels from what I've seen. Sadly though, someone decided we couldn't or shouldn't see those Johnny Quest cartoons they way they originally were....which means we didn't see the cartoon as it was originally intended to be seen. There are those stations that refuse to play Charlie Chan movies nowadays. I don't agree with any of this. I really think it should be an individual choice to decide what they do or do not want to watch if we are truly living in a free and democratic society. I have no problem however with warning proceeding such programming saying the programming may be offensive to some and a ratings system for each program or movie aired on TV. I believe anything presented should be presented as it was originally intended every time out.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:43:09 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CENSORED!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.