Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:51:21 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Be Kind Rewind « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Be Kind Rewind  (Read 3787 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: February 23, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »

Be Kind Rewind is one of those films that was on my radar when it first hit production but then quickly disappeared.  I remember reading that Michel Gondry was making the film with Jack Black and Mos Def, and then nothing.  Silence seemed to surround the project for a period of time and I eventually forgot about it.  Recently, I stumbled over the trailer and my interest was peaked again.

My wife and I had some free time yesterday so we figured we would catch a movie.  BKR happened to be playing at a theater here so we saw it instead of No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood, two films I've been wanting to see for a while as well.

BKR follows a young man named Mike, played by Mos Def.  Mike works in a small VHS rental / thrift shop in New Jersey.  The store is ran by Mr. Fletcher (Danny Glover) who has been like a father to Mike.  The store is in financial trouble and is close to being torn down.

Fletcher goes on a sort of a recon mission to find out what he can do to overhaul his store and get up to date with the DVD market.  While he's gone, he leaves Mike in charge.  During all of this, Mike's best friend, Jerry (Jack Black), gets magnetized while trying to sabotage the local powerplant which he believes is running his life.  His magnetization erases all of the videos in the shop.

What are Jerry and Mike to do?  They decide to go out and reshoot each of the films themselves, in an attempt to fool the customers.  They figure that the people haven't already seen the films anyway, so why not?  This leads to some hilarious scenes of the guys re-making Ghostbusters, Robocop, Driving Miss Daisy, 2001, etc.

First let me say that I enjoyed the film.  I felt that it was quite funny, and is a fantastic love letter to VHS, and just cinema in general.  That being said, I did feel the film to be a bit uneven.  Plots are brought up and then sat by the wayside, never to be seen again.  The acting in the film is a little off and seems quite forced at some points despite having some great talent in the film.  Overall, I enjoyed it, I just felt that it could have been so much better.

Gondry's directing style here is much more muted than normal as well.  If you aren't familiar with the name, he's the same director of films such as Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Dave Chappele's Block Party and the sadly overlooked Science Of Sleep.  He still has a few great inventive shots in this film, but it seemed much more tuned down than his previous films.

Go check it out if the idea sounds interesting.  I certainly enjoyed it but for most, I'd have to say that it's a rental.  It's not a film that is going down in the books as a classic but it's one that I'll pick up as soon as it hits DVD.

7.5/10

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
hdjanks
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »

Id go see this but my stupid movie theater is only showing U23D,Hanna Montana and Larry the cable guy
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »

The only reason I would see this is Mos Def, I didn't get much of a performance out of him from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I'll give him a second chance.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »

I'm a big fan of Mos Def's acting.  13 Blocks is still his best performance so far and one that it'll be hard for him to top.  His being in this film was actually one of the first things to get me interested in it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »

I wanna see this, but there's no theater close to me playing it.

I'll just catch the dvd.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Be Kind Rewind « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.