Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:01:05 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7735 Members
Latest Member: WGUNannett
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Living in the Past... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Living in the Past...  (Read 9702 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: February 23, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

Ok...this may sound a little weird...but I find myself living in the past a lot lately.

I'm not real old...(I'm 45) but I live in the past. Alot. I have a sweetie whom I love,two kids, a big old farmhouse of my own (well-I'm paying on it...)...but I seem to be on a big time nostalgia thing....;I miss the past.

I was watching my son Jed running down the street to his friend Donny's house this afternoon to play...and thought-"Man...to run like that again...to be free and uncarung about politics, the past or the future...just to run...to be so ...I dunno ... alive...

cripes...I sound like a Ray Bradbury excerpt from 'Dandolion Wine'....

well...any way...does anybody else get as misty as me about the past?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:58:46 AM »

well...any way...does anybody else get as misty as me about the past?

Yeah, sometimes... course, mainly because my present kind of sucks in some ways and I'm sometimes worried about the future.

But, besides that, I miss being a kid too sometimes... miss my innocence, miss playing with my two best friends, and having definite dreams of what I wanted to do when I "grew up".

It's funny you should bring it because I did a video about that subject for one of my college classes.  I went back to the town I grew up (was there till late fifth grade), and stopped by my old house and elementary school, filming various things and commenting on them. 

Been MEANING to upload that video to youtube, but I gotta figure out some way to compress a 2 gigabyte MOV file to a 100 Meg video without it looking too much like Legos.  :)

But, yeah, I think we all feel that way sometimes about the past.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »

I think everybody lives in the past to a certain degree.  My wife and I listen to music from the '80s, dress (in some small degree) like it was still 1982, and love watching movies from that era.  My parents are exactly the same way.  I think everybody's parents are.  When was the last time you saw a 60 year old guy listening to rap?   TeddyR  We see our kids going through exactly the same stuff we went through and it makes us really nostalgic, we'll often sit around and fondly reminisce about that stuff for hours on end. 

I think at our age (mid 40's) it's common to have a bit of a midlife crisis.  Especially when you're constantly reminded by the kids of how exciting and carefree life used to be.  I know I sometimes ask myself "Is this all that I'll ever be?  Twenty years from now virtually nothing will have changed?"  But, I dunno.  It's the same for everybody, it's just life, and I'm pretty happy actually.  Sounds like you are too RC.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »

I know what you mean, I get terribly homesick for the 1980's cometimes.  Back when I was young and handsome and THIN . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »

I most assuredly live in the past as I enjoy doing my family history and I think of the hours and hours I spend with my older ancestors when I was young and never asked them about their life when they where young, or to ask them about their parents life and by the time I got old enough to care about that information, they had been long since dead.  When I was young I had relatives still living that were born in the 1870's and when I knew them that were just old people.
Now I have but a very few older relatives left to quiz about the past. But as far as my own past goes, sure there are times I would like to go back and live it again, mainly to make a few different choices in life. I think most of us would like to use the do-over machine at some point or at the very least go back and enjoy a few things that we took for granted at the time.

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »

I like to think back on what life was like, I can remember when owning a phone was a luxury that we couldn't afford, and when we finally got one it was a big black thing with a rotary dial. TV screens were small, round, and came in a large case that was filled with glowing vacuum tubes, the picture was black and white. I only needed 35 cents to see 2 movies (monsters and westerns), a short, cartoons, and my personal favorite "PREVIEWS OF COMING ATTRACTIONS", these were usually better than the movies themselves. Rock and roll was the devil's music, Chuck Berry was the spawn of Satan, and if you liked his music your brain had probably been destroyed by the demon weed marijuana. We also had polio, smallpox, and a lot of other nasty stuff that's now gone. Back then as a child life wasn't actually carefree, it was just that as a youngster your worries and priorities are different than when you're an adult. It amuses me some times to think about what my daughter will be  calling "The Good Old Days". There is an up side to being an adult with a job, bills, a house, and a mortgage, if I want to on a cold rainy day like today I can turn the heater up to 80, turn on all the lights, open all the doors and windows, go stand on my front porch and shout out "YES, MOM AND DAD, I AM TRYING TO HEAT THE WHOLE D--- NEIGHBORHOOD!!"

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »

I'm still pretty young but all of my youthful memories are the embarrassing things that I did because I was 6 and didn't know any better, if I could go back in time, I would smack myself.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:07:05 AM »

The only time I live in the past (and make myself depressed in the process) is when I look in the mirror and I see what being a mother has done to my previously smokin hot bod.  I miss the days when men would give me admiring looks and say lame things just to start a conversation  Bluesad

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »

I think we all live in the past to some degree - I forget the term but from a Psychological stand point, we usually cling to that which was going on while we were coming of age, which is why I've locked onto the late 80s/early 90s as the best era ever, even though I'm looking at it through rose-tinted, plaid-wearing, grunge-listening glasses :)

But really, it seems like the first decade of the 2000s has been the meta-age; we've become absorbed with retroculture, which is great I think, but doesn't speak well for our current culture, but what do they expect with all these hallow cultural aspects of the current times.  I mean, who's going to pop retro years from now about how cool it was that all these aneorexic bag of bones were so cool for being famous for...well, nothing heh.  Basically, today has not much to offer - no rubics cube, no Pong, no pet rock, no mood rings lol. 

Ok, maybe I'm being a little hard on the times of today but it always seems everyone is so spent on everything that we love old stuff.  Maybe today's age does offer something and I'm just too old to notice those kind of things when I'm more concerned with paying my child's medical expenses, maintaining a secure job, and keeping the food on the table.  Funny how life changes ya over time :)  but I do think we're in a meta-culture decade to some degree.

Maybe culturally, things will start to change and soon.  I guess it's up to us when it all comes down to it.  Ok, I don't know what I'm talking about :)

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »

You know, I was never all that happy in the past.  I like life (and myself) a hell of a lot more these days, than even 7-8 years ago.  I didn't have a bad childhood, or anything like that, but I like now more than then.   
I miss small stuff, but nothing that would make me go back. 

Now living in alternate presents, you might have something there.  I'm guilty of "What Iffing" for sure. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:10:22 PM »

I'm turning 33 on March 7th and I've already noticed that I'm starting to go back espeically with music and listen to stuff that I haven't listened to in years.  I think that it's just a natural thing that happens to everyone eventually. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:58 PM »

That's happening to me now, and I'm turning 24 in two days.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 11:44:41 PM »

Man, that's not good. You should still being living well in the  "now" at 24.   TeddyR

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

I don't know if it's the same as living in the past in the way this topic has been discussed here, but I know I am someone who seems to place more value on analyzing my own past, even the recent past, than on enjoying the present as it is unfolding. That's probably not good.

A couple nights ago a friend of mine from Texas brought up how powerfully music brings back sentimental memories, and he was sure right there, because it does.

I mentioned to him how the 1980's, when we were children, were so much more innocent than this decade. That's not only the rosy effect of memory, I believe that. I think he and I were lucky we grew up then instead of now, and I'm finding myself shocked more and more often at some of the material marketed nowadays at the very young . But that's a sign I'm getting old (yuck) and also a subject for another topic someday.

But hey, if ever any of you get too far gone in your pining for our lost yesterdays, remember that old quote that we were all fools three years ago. (Heck, I know I was!)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »

Man, that's not good. You should still being living well in the  "now" at 24.   TeddyR

But everything today sucks.   Buggedout

But I have a job I (mostly) enjoy and, have made some friends there.  Granted most of them are like, teenagers, but still. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Living in the Past... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.