Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:52:13 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Living in the Past... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Living in the Past...  (Read 9740 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »

I think ,more than the material and cultural things , is the FREEDOM.

To run....to climb trees, to travel and discover, to be....young!

To be able....on a whim-to just grab a 20 dollar bill,stick it in my shoe, and just start hich-hiking. No where in particular place to go.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HammerAmicusFanatic
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »

I definitely look back fondly at a lot of my past.  I miss my grandparents like crazy...think I always will.  I miss staying overnight with cousins and friends that had cable and we would watch classic horror on TV late-night Friday nights and all afternoon on Saturday.  I miss the days of waking up and nothing hurt. 

But, overall, I'd say I'm happy with the majority of my past and look back fondly and I'm OK with the present.....

"Send advance parties immediately.  Have now established humans high in protein… and easy prey…"  (Prey)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 09:47:28 PM »

I think at our age (mid 40's) it's common to have a bit of a midlife crisis.  Especially when you're constantly reminded by the kids of how exciting and carefree life used to be.  I know I sometimes ask myself "Is this all that I'll ever be?  Twenty years from now virtually nothing will have changed?"  But, I dunno.  It's the same for everybody, it's just life, and I'm pretty happy actually.  Sounds like you are too RC.
It's been suggested that once people are in their 40s they realize that the dreams of their youth are liable not to come true. 
PEGGY LEE addressed this topic:  "Is That All There Is?" Sorry it's only a fragment, but youtube has become a dump these days for any old karaoke crapola... DANDELION WINE... that's right!  DANDELION WINE!   Who luvz ya baby?   Thumbup
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:29 PM »

There is the saying though that goes "Life truly begins at 40."  I know plenty of people who have said that there's a lot of truth to that.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »

It's been suggested that once people are in their 40s they realize that the dreams of their youth are liable not to come true. 

There is the saying though that goes "Life truly begins at 40."  I know plenty of people who have said that there's a lot of truth to that.

(Un)fortunately, both of these sentiments have grains of truth. I soon turn 44. I know that most of the things I wanted to be when I grew up will never happen. On the other hand, I still have many possibilities to explore, and I'm mature (read old) enough to do/get away with them. In some ways, I guess I'm having a midlife crisis. I do reminisce about college days (I hated high school and couldn't wait to get out), and I still feel very comfortable on a college campus. Inside, I say, "This is where I belong!" Then I look in a mirror and see that no, I don't belong there any longer, at least not as a student. On the positive side, I'm in the process of exploring options for new experiences/careers, and I'm still enjoying myself most days. I've worked hard to remain true to who I am. Even though that person is not particularly popular, I am happy with myself most of the time and glad that I never went along with the gang just to fit in. Overall, I guess I enjoy visiting the past, but I don't really think I want to live there anymore; there's too many other things to do.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »

Ok...this may sound a little weird...but I find myself living in the past a lot lately.

well...any way...does anybody else get as misty as me about the past?

Just came across this.....YES! To the point where I am in tears, also the feeling of being born at the wrong time. I have overwhelming love of all things 1980s and then of important parts of my childhood in the early to mid 90's. The thing is I can remember alot of things from a ridiculously early age, I miss my old house and the decor even though it was tacky (I have a pink living room), I miss my old cartoons, I miss old fashions and music. As I sit here and type this I have on a "1985 Right To Rock" Keel t-shirt, acid-wash jeans and some 1981 replay trainers, I'm surrounded by neon lights, some boglins, rubix cubes and box sets of Miami Vice. I have also just watched the 1995 Royal Rumble and am now listening to Renee & Angela's 1985 hit "I'll be good"....the effect is at the least tear inducing with a strong sense of longing.

Menard
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 09:52:57 PM »

I have had a serious bout with living in the past, or perhaps escaping the present to a happier time.

It seems as though I have been not only reflecting on things in the past, but trying to collect things that remind me of it.

I have a small keepbox that I started, well, kind of for therapeutic reasons. As I have had the opportunity to go through some of my stuff that I have been able to hang onto (small things), I have put them in the keepbox, or even found replacements for some items I have lost over the years but at least have a representative of it. I can go through the keepbox and it's kind of a memory repository.

The 70s are a particular draw for me. I love the music, particularly from the early 70s, the movies, and pretty much most everything else as it brings back memories of a time when there was a feeling of open freedom, and even carelessness.

Some of my hobbies are throwbacks to that time. I still collect pyramids and most things to do with pyramid energy (if anyone has a connector set for a meditation pyramid and would be willing to part with it, let me know). I have a fondness for muscle cars from the early 70s. Give me a radio station with Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, and Carly Simon and I'll be dreaming all day. I started my interest in multi-band radios, shortwave radios and CB radio in the 70s and still collect radios and CB related items.

Of mistakes in the past, I've made a few....

...oh hell...I've made a hell of a lot.

Other than one massive mistake a few years ago, I wouldn't go back and change them. My mistakes have been my learning. Through the years, we all learn things about others, and especially that others are just like us...real people and not just objects that inhabit the places we work and play. Understanding and compassion comes with the experiences of life and having a greater compassion for others is not something I would trade to make something in my past right.

I have done a lot of learning over the years, and have a lot more learning to do; hopefully with fewer presumptuous mistakes than what it has taken to get here.

I have lost damn near everything I had and started over from a borrowed and cold floor. What I didn't lose was myself.

Many of us will reflect on precious times. Even without memorabilia, we have the memories to keep us company. Most of those reflections will be things we enjoyed, but some will be regrets. Ultimately, though, regrets or not, are we better today for them?

Yeah, I kind of went off course on a mini-tangent which obviously had no intended destination in the first place.

So? Anybody surprised? TongueOut
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »

I'm 34 years old.  Not too far behind the 40 somethings here.
I hear music and watch movies that came out when I was younger and I do reminisce.
But I also feel that the years I'm living right now will create memories that I'll cherish when I'm in my 40's and on up.

I see it from a different perspective than a lot of you do because I've never been married and have no children.
My life now is pretty much the same as it was when I was in my early 20's. 

The bachelor's life.

Not marrying and not having kids has enabled me to live my life very much like I did in the past.
The only difference is that I'm now a more responsible and honorable person than I was back then.  There are things that I would say and do back then that I would never do now.

So yes, I do look back at the past with fondness.  But I'm also living it at the same time.  And loving it.
Ya dig?   Smile

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:34:44 PM by Ash » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 05:06:35 AM »

Ok...this may sound a little weird...but I find myself living in the past a lot lately.

I'm not real old...(I'm 45) but I live in the past. Alot. I have a sweetie whom I love,two kids, a big old farmhouse of my own (well-I'm paying on it...)...but I seem to be on a big time nostalgia thing....;I miss the past.

I was watching my son Jed running down the street to his friend Donny's house this afternoon to play...and thought-"Man...to run like that again...to be free and uncarung about politics, the past or the future...just to run...to be so ...I dunno ... alive...

cripes...I sound like a Ray Bradbury excerpt from 'Dandolion Wine'....

well...any way...does anybody else get as misty as me about the past?

I'm with you there, RC.

Although my childhood was spent during a war (1967 ~ 1980) I remember growing up in what was then Rhodesia with a lot of fondness. The only bad thing I remember is saying goodbye to my Dad when he went off to Lord knows where to fight terrorists and I didn't know if I would see him again.

The good thing about having memories of a good past is that you can visit those memories whenever you want and yes, I do get a bit misty-eyed from time to time.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 08:40:23 AM »

I have lost damn near everything I had and started over from a borrowed and cold floor. What I didn't lose was myself.

I'm glad that you didn't lose yourself, Dr M: I would have lost someone special then.  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »

So yes, I do look back at the past with fondness.  But I'm also living it at the same time.  And loving it.
Ya dig?   Smile

I dig it, my friend.  Smile

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Living in the Past... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.