Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:31:03 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Cave of the Silken Web « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Cave of the Silken Web  (Read 18670 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: February 24, 2008, 10:14:05 AM »

Take a Chinese legend about "The Monkey King," turn it into a Hong Kong kung fu flick, then hire a Bollywood director.  Presto!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Cotexman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »

If the film had the spider sisters shooting silken web out their butt, it would be an entirely different kind of movie that would be found in a entirely different section of a rental establishment that is not Blockbuster or Hollywood.  That would be the section behind the door you never realized was a room full of movies until a sheepish looking overweight balding man walks out with an arm full of movies.  Disclaimer:  I do NOT want to see women shoot silken web out their butt.  Now if it's jelly beans, maybe then.

What good is Netflix if a number of movies you want to see are only found in VHS format (and there are a lot of them).  Thank God for Movie Madness in Portland, OR and Scarecrow and Seattle, WA.  Without Movie Madness, I wouldn't be able to rent Maniac Cop 2, Phantasm 2, The Green Slime, Damnation Alley, or Roller Disco USA (just kidding on the last one ... whom I kidding, I'm not really kidding).  With major rental establishments eliminating their VHS and carrying only DVDs, fanatics of "bad" movies are missing out on many gems that aren't and may never see the DVD format.  With Blue Ray, the selection gets even smaller.  I have no interest in Blue Ray.  Do I really need a better picture?  Will movies on DVD like Boss {n-bomb} and Soul of {n-bomb} Charlie really benefit on Blue Ray with that directly from VHS to DVD qaulity?  Once one has amassed a DVD collection such as I, switching to Blue Ray is really a moot point, especially when you purchase movies you know damn well will never see the light of Blue Ray.  Note:  This paragraph has nothing to do with the first.  Sorry about the tangent.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »

This is a four part series.  I have all of them and they are all really over the top.  it's been remade many times

another one that has similarly wild imagery though a less comprehensible plot is "mahbali hanuman" an indian religious movie from i think 1980.
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »

i've seen the first one, THE MONKEY GOES WEST, which borrows a full-sized dragon prop from the Italian peplum MEDUSA VS THE SON OF HERCULES (and a scene or two) and it's fun, but a bit long.  still, best to see these in order, since they do tell a complete story.

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
FLU-BIRD
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »

Kind of looking like a video game and those spider sister all look alike
D
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »

The legend this is based on is Journey to the West. I read it last year or so ago and wanted to find other media made from it...as a B movie fan this is a good find.
Pacman000
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »

Princess Iron Fan, an Chinese animated movie from the 40's is based on part of Journey to the West.

I have not seen it, but the Internet Archive has a copy: http://archive.org/details/princess_iron_fan

There was also a video game for the Supervision, but I can't find much info on it.  Screenshots:http://www.pixelpower.on.ca/supervision/games/jttwscreen.jpg
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:22:54 PM by Pacman000 » Logged
Pacman000
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »

There's also ALAKAZAM the Great!, an animated movie made in the 60's by Toei.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alakazam_the_Great

AIP released it in the US; they used some of the same voice actors as Speed Racer.  If I remember correctly, it was listed as one of the 50 worst movies of all-time.  Still, IMDb gives it a (semi) decent rating, so it might be worth checking out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054265/.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »

There's also ALAKAZAM the Great!, an animated movie made in the 60's by Toei.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alakazam_the_Great

AIP released it in the US; they used some of the same voice actors as Speed Racer.  If I remember correctly, it was listed as one of the 50 worst movies of all-time.  Still, IMDb gives it a (semi) decent rating, so it might be worth checking out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054265/.

Yeah. I don't remember which book now, but it was listed as one of the worst movies of all-time in one of the books written by the Medved Brothers.

I, on the other hand, liked it. Seeing it a couple of times on TV. It dates from 1960 and is based on the Japanese comic "Boku no Son Goku." And the actual title being "The Magic Land of Alakazam." Though, I did see it under its alternate title "Alakazam the Great."

Originally voiced by Japanese artists., when it was released in the U.S., it was revoiced by among others Frankie Avalon, Sterling Holloway, Arnold Stang, Dodie Stevens, and Jonathan Winters.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Cave of the Silken Web « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.