Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:18:59 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Black Hole (2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Black Hole (2006)  (Read 21679 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: February 26, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »

A black hole and an energy monster wreak havoc in St. Louis, and Judd Nelson tries to stop the destruction before the city is completely destroyed.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »

I agree with you about nuking it.  Good grief, couldn't the writers even try a little teeny weeny bit?  As far as the science, I almost wonder if it's a requirement when making a low budget sci-fi movie than only people who flunked out of science in the 7th grade need to apply for the jobs?  The thing is, if they paid any attention at all to the reality of the situation they're working with, they could come up with some interesting and original plot points.  But of course, that would take imagination , and they're just in the business of turning out another spec-movie each week.

It was good to see Quentin Collins from Dark Shadows is still working and doing well - he was the military guy. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
skrag2112
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 12:29:52 AM »

I saw this movie on SciFi Channel and besides all the scientific implausibilities, I was laughing at how the filmmakers got the geography of the St Louis area wrong.  Distance between places and landmarks changed from scene to scene and it was funny seeing the Arch in the background after it had been "destroyed". Kind of like that woman in "Space Mutiny" showing up after she had been killed in the previous scene. (Also, I haven't been to the Planetarium in years, but I'm pretty sure theres no supercollider underneath it.)
TheMark
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 12:50:34 AM »

Back in the fifties the B-movie scripts were ok but the special effects were sub-par. Now we have the special effects technology and no one can write a B-movie script worth the paper it’s printed on.

Seems to me the best solution is to buy the rights to some 1950s movies and re-make them. Not with an updated (i.e. ruined) version of the script, I mean REMAKE them literally scene for scene.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 12:03:02 PM »

Overall, the plot for this movie was just awful.  Your average person knows that dropping a nuclear bomb on a black hole is stupid.  In an old b-movie, the protagonists would have tried the meson cannon, a containment field, or some other gadget.

Oh, and it probably would have avoided the worthless subplot about Judd Nelson's ex-wife and daughter.  That was 100% padding.  And the special forces team that tries to capture the monster:  why were they wearing all of their gear and carrying weapons?  The people in charge knew that those useless against the energy monster; the only thing that carry extra stuff could do was slow the men down.

Did anybody else notice that the ticker at the bottom of the live footage of the black hole eating St. Louis was idiotic financial stuff - like stocks?

Honestly, the movie didn't even try. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
catherine
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »

I literally fell off my chair laughing in the first few minutes of the film when they zoomed in on the Planetarium and subtitld it the "Midwest Quantum Research Laboratory". Seriously, if they want the Midwest Quantam Research Laboratory (known to the locals as the PLANETARIUM), couldn't they have chosen a building that WASN'T a place every 2nd grader within a fifty mile radius went to on their fieldtrips?

Seriously, the movie was so painful I couldn't stop laughing. St. Louis already IS a black hole, we don't need another one bringing a monster!
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »

Ugh! This movie is awful in pretty much every way. I couldn't even get a laugh out of it it pained me so much.  Bluesad

But the monster looke dkinda sorta cool, even though it did resemble a glowing blue ghost of a Halo Elite.

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
Lacan
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 10:32:25 AM »

Two (possible) reasons to watch this:
1: Military personnel deciding to nuke a black hole.
2: The black Hole in question being annoyed by a car alarm
shotora
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:06:57 AM »

Geez. This movie was wrong in so many ways. It was like a black hole only in the fact that it consumed my time. And, maybe it sucked my will to continue watching after a while. Still, I sat through it. The monster was amusing at certain points. The whole science and military batch of flimflam was a batch of face-palm moments. Brain death writing. I guess. I love extremely bad B-movies. Ones so bad that they should be paying me to watch them instead of my paying to buy or rent them. Yet, this movie was too bad for even me. Watch it if you want but there are much better movies out there. Much better.  Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown
Alice
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »

"It will send them both to the other side of the unviverse" -clip 3

How arrogant to assume that we are alone!  What if there's life where they send these things?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 03:24:24 AM »

[Trevor shakes head] Nu Image almost ruined the film industry in SA and now they want to bugger up St Louis as well?  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
dani
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »

being from st.louis, this movie is so funny on all its inaccuracies. First, black holes aren't tornadoes or hurricanes so why is it swirling around when it should just grow by sucking everything in at a fast pace and having a big black space that you can't see into. If busch stadium is swallowed, soldier memorial isn't that far so they should've been gone as well.  Also the arch should've been totally swallowed as well and if that happened then everyone and everything in the downtown, eveywhere should've disappeared not look like a tornado hit,this includes the ppl standing around yelling.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Black Hole (2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.