Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:59:49 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Pennsylvania Considers Mobile Liquor Stores for Rural Areas « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Considers Mobile Liquor Stores for Rural Areas  (Read 6404 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: February 28, 2008, 10:31:47 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,333454,00.html

I guess is will come on alternating days that the bookmobile comes.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »

So people in rural areas are having a hard time getting their hands on wine and hard liquor, and they decided to ask the government for help?  See, I would have never thought of that. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »

So, I guess Penn is like New Hampshire where the state owns all the liquor stores.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
raj

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »

So, I guess Penn is like New Hampshire where the state owns all the liquor stores.

Yup.  Liquor laws all over the country are very different.  Growing up in NY, I was used to only beer in grocery stores, liquor & wine were reserved for liquor stores.  Down South, I saw wine in grocery stores & thought that was weird.  Now here in Ohio they've got some of the hard stuff in grocery stores (though why it's bad Popov vodka and not good stuff like Skyy I don't know).

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »

Yup.  Liquor laws all over the country are very different.  Growing up in NY, I was used to only beer in grocery stores, liquor & wine were reserved for liquor stores.  Down South, I saw wine in grocery stores & thought that was weird.  Now here in Ohio they've got some of the hard stuff in grocery stores (though why it's bad Popov vodka and not good stuff like Skyy I don't know).

You should go into a grocery store in New Orleans.  They put some actual liquor stores in other states to shame.

Hmmm...Katie and I have started looking to buy a house and we are looking in PA.  That is a funny coincidence.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »

So people in rural areas are having a hard time getting their hands on wine and hard liquor, and they decided to ask the government for help?  See, I would have never thought of that. 

Hee Hee. Karma for you, my friend!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »

When I lived in North Caroline it was like that, they had ABC (Alcohol Beverage Commission) Stores I don't know if it is still that way or not, but in KY they're private have drive through windows and they'll give you a cup with ice too. But in grocery stores and covenant store they can only sell beer and wine.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:44:59 AM »

In South Africa, liquor sales were, until very recently, strictly controlled by the government: it was against the law to have a drink on a Sunday and if restaurants were open on Sundays (very rare) the management had to ensure that people had a meal with their drink. Chainstores could not sell any kind of liquor on a Sunday, not even a simple beer until recently so the people who took a drink, bought everything on a Saturday and got drunk on a Sunday, much to the government's displeasure.

Lookingup Lookingup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:08:36 AM »

In South Africa, liquor sales were, until very recently, strictly controlled by the government: it was against the law to have a drink on a Sunday and if restaurants were open on Sundays (very rare) the management had to ensure that people had a meal with their drink. Chainstores could not sell any kind of liquor on a Sunday, not even a simple beer until recently so the people who took a drink, bought everything on a Saturday and got drunk on a Sunday, much to the government's displeasure.

Lookingup Lookingup

In KY were I live there have a lot of dry counties (no alcohol sale of any kind), there is no liquor sales on  Sunday in the state (except Louisville I think) and alcohol sales end at midnight in most county (1 or 2 AM in others) and doesn't start again until 6AM. Some counties like the one I live in is "damp" which means you can buy alcohol by the drink with a meal only and your meal sales must be 80% of your total sales. So around here is you want beer, wine, liquor you have to drive 25 miles to another county to buy it, but if you buy to much you can be charged with bootlegging. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd like to thank all the evangelical Southern Baptist for these insane laws.

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 10:09:11 AM »

... (though why it's bad Popov vodka and not good stuff like Skyy I don't know)....

HAH! Popov vodka! A friend of mine in high school was sort of "half-american" and regularly had that stuff in half-a-gallon canisters from a local PX... hard times, those were.

Of course, it's not that difficult to get hands on alcohol in German stores whatsoever....

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:32:44 AM »

We have ABC stores and private liquor stores in AL, Sunday sales only in certain cities. Beer and (sometimes) wine sold in the grocery stores, liquor is not. My county is dry, but the county seat is wet, as is the next county over, and I can still remember when people would drive to the TN state line to buy booze. Until a few years ago, people would still drive to TN to buy it on Sunday or go to a club. A few bootleggers are still around, but not many, I think more of them die off than get arrested or shut down.

We now have Sunday on-premise sales, and last summer they finally approved draft beer sales, Yay!!! The Sunday sales didn't help the clubs as much as was thought, few places have Sunday hours after many places giving it a try, but it has certainly helped the restaurants. There was a push to pass it since we are trying to become a tourist and convention destination, the church folk really campaigned against it with the usual threats to remember to vote out all public officials who backed it, the same thing happened with the draft beer issue.

The wet county failed to approve Sunday on-site sales recently, they needed it to compete with the restaurants in my county. But individual towns can vote on it now, and my old town (which is struggling financially compared to the others) appears to be on their way to adopting on-site and draft beer sales. It may be too little too late though.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Pennsylvania Considers Mobile Liquor Stores for Rural Areas « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.