Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:55:30 AM
714336 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Drive-in....I never knew ye. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Drive-in....I never knew ye.  (Read 11518 times)
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 12:46:23 PM »

I've got not one but two Drive-ins that are near my house.  I haven't been in years.  I know I should be enjoying them while they're still open but I can't find a bunch of people who want go on a Fri or Sat night.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »

Oh I think there is one in Dickson TN too ... Broadway Drive-In Theatre.

There's actually a fairly new theater near me in Watertown, TN called the Stardust Drive-In, which they opened just a couple of years ago. They now have two screens and on each screen they show double features!

It doesn't have the delicious sleaziness of the drive-ins of our youth, but it pretty close for these days.

Here's the link to their website:
http://www.stardustdrivein.com/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:51:50 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »

I would love to go to a drive-in. My dad tells me when the shining came out, i was there in the back of a van in a playpen..but never got to go when i got older. Recently it came to my attention though, that in the town of Waverly, TN, there is a drive in that is open during the summer months. Its about a two hour drive from here, but its definitely on my to-do list this summer. I just hope they play something that is drive-in worthy.
Speaking of drive-ins, I love the movie Dead End Drive-In, too bad they wont be showing it..  i love the pure cheese of it..

Waverly, TN? That's not far from here. In what direction are you away from there? There is also 2 drive-in's Memphis and a few others around TN, KY, AL, MS, AR, and GA.

I live in Dresden, which is right outside of martin, tn where university of tn is, guess you could say i'm a little north to the halfway point between nashville and memphis...close enough to pay high prices but too faraway to have anything to do....hahha

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 05:10:17 PM »

Ah, the drive-in. Where else can you find scratchy cheesy awesome to the MAX movies? Its the ONLY way to see your favorite b-movie of choice! Or so I've heard....

Unfortunatly, Ive never been able to experience the awsomeness that is the drive-in. Not many exist anymore. I dont evenknow if theres any around where I live. It's really sad. I wonder why they're so scarce nowadays? I dunno. maybe I didn't miss anything. It was before my time.

I used to go to ione in Western Iowa, it is still open.  Try this":
http://find.mapmuse.com/interest/driveins

Maybe there is  one near you, or where you will be sometime.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »

Don't feel bad...
I've never been to a drive-in either.

We used to have one here on the southern edge of town but it's been closed since the mid 80's.
At the spot where it sat, you can vaguely make out that a drive-in used to be there.  (nothing was ever built on the site)
Strangely, my parents never took me to it.  They always went to regular theaters.

The nearest drive-in for me is like 200 miles away.
Maybe one of these days some friends and I will make a road trip out of it and check it out.

Here's another interesting site:
http://www.driveinworkshop.com/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:58:43 PM by Ash » Logged
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 06:45:29 PM »

I would love to go to a drive-in. My dad tells me when the shining came out, i was there in the back of a van in a playpen..but never got to go when i got older. Recently it came to my attention though, that in the town of Waverly, TN, there is a drive in that is open during the summer months. Its about a two hour drive from here, but its definitely on my to-do list this summer. I just hope they play something that is drive-in worthy.
Speaking of drive-ins, I love the movie Dead End Drive-In, too bad they wont be showing it..  i love the pure cheese of it..

Waverly, TN? That's not far from here. In what direction are you away from there? There is also 2 drive-in's Memphis and a few others around TN, KY, AL, MS, AR, and GA.

I live in Dresden, which is right outside of martin, tn where university of tn is, guess you could say i'm a little north to the halfway point between nashville and memphis...close enough to pay high prices but too faraway to have anything to do....hahha

I know exactly where Dresden is at (been there many times), I'm in Farmington, KY half way between Murray and Mayfield KY. I think you are closer to the Drive-In in Calvert City, KY up by KY Dam Village. There a few thinkg do to around here, this weekend at the Maiden Alley Cinema in Paducah they played Citizen Kane and Blade Runner. Ever go there? 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »

The nearest drive-in for me is like 200 miles away.
Maybe one of these days some friends and I will make a road trip out of it and check it out.
It was fun, but not at all sure the experience would be worth a 200 mile roadtrip unless it was really about the "road trip."  Remember, you guys who haven't been to a DRIVE-IN, that it's a nostalgic experience for us who grew up with it.  I think it's better in memory than in actuality, but we've all also grown into lovers of BAD MOVIES, and that's one thing you could count on the DRIVE-IN for.  I can remember mosquitoes and gnats flying in your ear... Many times, if you wanted to look at the movie, there would be some brat or a**hole trying to make shadows on the screen (during the movie and repeatedly that gets annoying) or the radio listening partiers who are not there for the movie and get louder the more you ignore them, or the out-of-focus image, torn screen, underpowered projector, broken speaker after broken speaker... they actually had signs that said: "If speaker is accidentally ripped loose, leave on top of post."   Lookingup 
Man, I am making the DRIVE-IN sound good! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 07:08:19 PM »

Here is a list of drive in theaters, I don't know how current the list is or how complete, but it's better than nothing.

http://www.driveintheater.com/drivlist.htm

Drive-Ins are best IMHO in the back of a pick up truck, with a lawn chair and a cooler. We use to take a grill and cook burgers and hotdogs while there. I don't know if it would be anything near what it use to be like, somehow, sadly I don't think it would. The world is not the same place it was in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

The last movie I saw was at a Starlite Drive In on a date I she wanted to see Blue Lagoon so we went to Drive In and saw ... I don't think we watch a single minute of the movie.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:14:02 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 07:15:30 PM »

The Drive-ins in my area don't use speakers.  They broadcast the audio on low range AM radio.  You can listen in the car or bring a portable radio and listen outside.  Much cheaper than replacing broken off speakers.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »

I've missed so much. This summer, i'm hunting down a drive-in and enjoying the hell out of it.

You really ought to give it try. It may not be the nostalgic experience we're all remembering, but I think that you'll enjoy it.

The one I used to go to almost had a carnival atmosphere to it. There would be people hanging out and talking. Kids would be running around. Everyone was waiting for dusk for the film to start. I still remember the popcorn that my parents made. They would pop it at home and fill a whole grocery bag with it.

If you do go this summer you'll have to give us a report of you experience.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »

If you do go this summer you'll have to give us a report of you experience.

Don't worry, i plan to.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »

Be sure to visit the SNACK BAR.  This one does go on...
Small | Large

These are classic: 
Small | Large

It's best HOT...!  It's best COLD...!  It tastes... kinda OLD...! 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:59:09 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »

Be sure to visit the SNACK BAR.  This one does go on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyMgavL2zVE

I feel sorry for the guy who did the drawing and animation for that thing.

Employer- "So tell me why we should hire you to work for us here at (major animation studio)"

Guy- "Well, ya know those lousy intermission things that played inbetween movies at drive-ins durring the 60's and 70s? That was all me, baby!"

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 05:03:01 AM »

I know exactly where Dresden is at (been there many times), I'm in Farmington, KY half way between Murray and Mayfield KY. I think you are closer to the Drive-In in Calvert City, KY up by KY Dam Village. There a few thinkg do to around here, this weekend at the Maiden Alley Cinema in Paducah they played Citizen Kane and Blade Runner. Ever go there? 
I've never been to Maiden Alley Cinema, i think i've been to paducah twice since i moved down here. funny how its such a small world. i usually do all my shopping in mayfield or murray, and sometimes Fulton. You can't find atmosphere like the Whistin Pig just anywhere ya know! lol
i'll definetely check out maiden alley though..

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 05:25:48 AM »

Bluesad

There is only one drive-in left in Pretoria at www.menlynpark.co.za and this one is not on the ground at all: it is on top of the parking garage, seven stories up. Great if you get drunk or high and decide to go for a walk..... Buggedout

There is another in Johannesburg, the "Velskoen", about 50 miles south of us and that is officially the oldest drive-in cinema in Africa.

The hundreds of drive-ins in South Africa have gone: sadly buried under housing complexes and strip malls. Sad, damn sad.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Drive-in....I never knew ye. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.