Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:26 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DONNIE DARKO (2001) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DONNIE DARKO (2001)  (Read 6775 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: March 15, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »

I was surprised to find there's not already a topic on this 2001 movie about... say, what was this movie about?

I'd put it into the category of "loveable mess."  It can't seem to decide whether it wants to be a portrait of teen alienation, a sci-fi mindbender, or a John Hughes flick as directed by David Lynch.  It seems like the director had too many good ideas and was afraid he's never get the chance to direct again, so he threw everything he could think of at the screen. 

But it does have the scariest bunny rabbit I've ever seen on film.  (Disclaimer: I have not yet seen NIGHT OF THE LEPUS).

I'd give it 4/5 slimes.  It's far from a completely successful movie, but it's consistently interesting and stuck in my mind after the credits rolled.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »

Trust me my friend, there are numerous threads about this film here on the board.  It's one that pops up here every so often.

I'm a big fan of Donnie Darko.  It's appeal and mystery has worn off for me since first seeing it around '02 or so, but it's still a landmark film.  Stay far away from the Director's Cut version as Richard Kelly seemed to not even understand his own film.  It's a film that means something different to each viewer and trying to explain it just ruins it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »

You should check out Southland Tales http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405336/ by Richard Kelly.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:03:10 PM »

I'd put it into the category of "loveable mess."  It can't seem to decide whether it wants to be a portrait of teen alienation, a sci-fi mindbender, or a John Hughes flick as directed by David Lynch.

It can be all these things and more. [/joel]

It seems like the director had too many good ideas and was afraid he's never get the chance to direct again, so he threw everything he could think of at the screen. 

Have you see Doomsday yet?   Buggedout

(Disclaimer: I have not yet seen NIGHT OF THE LEPUS).

For shame...

I liked it.  It is kind of a mish-mash of a movie but I think, despite it's flaws, it works.  Like I said in the "BOO-HOO" thread, it's one of the few movies that's made me cry (the ending...that song always gets me.)

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
InvisibleFear666
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »

This movie has it all. Mystery, Sci-Fi, Drama, and a slight element of Horror. I highly recommend this movie if you haven't seen it.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »

I'd heard about this movie for ages before I saw it.  Then I saw it and wondered what all the fuss was about.  It was weird and atmospheric and Jake Gyllenhaal did a good job as the disaffected teenager but I didn't get it.  I enjoyed it, but I didn't understand it.

Can someone please explain this movie to me?  Question

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »

I enjoyed it, but I didn't understand it.

Read this
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:36 PM »

It seems like the director had too many good ideas and was afraid he's never get the chance to direct again, so he threw everything he could think of at the screen. 

Have you see Doomsday yet?   Buggedout

There are a couple films with that title---I'm guessing you mean the 2008 film?  That hasn't made it out here yet, to my knowledge.  Is it good, or just mindboggling?  (Either one's fine with me).

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:39:39 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

Pilgermann

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »

Shortly after it was releaed on DVD I read some interesting things about the movie and decided to go ahead and buy it, and I really loved it.  I think I watched it 2 or 3 times within the first couple of days.

It's unfortunate that it recieved some backlash like most internet-hyped movies do, but I think it's a good film.

Speaking of Night of the Lepus, there are some crazy and wonderful German posters of it for sale on eBay:

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:14:09 AM »

I enjoyed it, but I didn't understand it.

Read this

Thanks for that Ash.  Clear as mud, but I think I kind of get it now.  Reminds me alittle of the movie Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher.

I'll file this one under the heading of "movies to really enjoy when you're tripping on acid".   TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 03:33:30 AM »

This has been the most thought-provoking movie I've seen in a long while. However, I haven't figured everything  out yet, that is, I have no idea if the movie probably doesn't make any sense at all…

SPOILER

My quarrel with this film is that I have no idea where the “second” jet engine comes from (as nobody else in the movie has the first time). I somehow understand that the first time the engine hits the roof, it sort of comes out of the future, and anything Donnie does is destined to create a possibility for this to happen in order to “save” the space time continuum (otherwise the end of the world will happen). He succeeds and some kind of time tunnel is build up to send the engine back 28 days to hit the roof. But then, time should continue to move on linearly from this point of time with Gretchen, Donnie's mum and sister dead. Instead, we all jump back in time 28 days and Donnie decides to die when the engine finally hits Donnie's roof (so Gretchen, Donnie's mum and sister will survive the next month or so). But then, he will not be able to initialize all the things necessary to build up the time tunnel needed to explain where the “second” engine comes from (the plane crash 28 days later – hey 28 days later, is this some kind of reference?) – thus the world will end 28 days from the final scene of the movie… And if he didn't die and time would jump back each time the time tunnel is built up, the time span of 28 days would have to repeat itself ad infinitum.

As soon as I figure this out, I’d give it 5 out of 5…

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 06:49:35 AM »

There are a couple films with that title---I'm guessing you mean the 2008 film?  That hasn't made it out here yet, to my knowledge.  Is it good, or just mindboggling?  (Either one's fine with me).

That would be the Neil Marshall Doomsday that just came out.  I don't know if the movie was a straight homage to John Carpenter or what but it wasn't all that great.  It's like they took good ideas from 3 or 4 movies and stuck them in a blender and hit "Puree".  There's a right way to do an homage type movie (Shaun of the Dead) and there's the wrong way (Doomsday).

It's too bad because I like The Decent and Dog Soldiers...

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

This has been the most thought-provoking movie I've seen in a long while. However, I haven't figured everything  out yet, that is, I have no idea if the movie probably doesn't make any sense at all…

SPOILER

My quarrel with this film is that I have no idea where the “second” jet engine comes from (as nobody else in the movie has the first time). I somehow understand that the first time the engine hits the roof, it sort of comes out of the future, and anything Donnie does is destined to create a possibility for this to happen in order to “save” the space time continuum (otherwise the end of the world will happen). He succeeds and some kind of time tunnel is build up to send the engine back 28 days to hit the roof. But then, time should continue to move on linearly from this point of time with Gretchen, Donnie's mum and sister dead. Instead, we all jump back in time 28 days and Donnie decides to die when the engine finally hits Donnie's roof (so Gretchen, Donnie's mum and sister will survive the next month or so). But then, he will not be able to initialize all the things necessary to build up the time tunnel needed to explain where the “second” engine comes from (the plane crash 28 days later – hey 28 days later, is this some kind of reference?) – thus the world will end 28 days from the final scene of the movie… And if he didn't die and time would jump back each time the time tunnel is built up, the time span of 28 days would have to repeat itself ad infinitum.

As soon as I figure this out, I’d give it 5 out of 5…

Wait a second, I'm confused.  Which Universe is the Tangent Universe?  Anyway, I think whichever universe causes infinite regress time travel paradoxes collapses upon itself and can thereafter be ignored.  Pretty neat, huh?

Or maybe we should just ignore the director's suggestion to treat the story literally, and just assume the movie is Donnie's hallucination?   

Frank, why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 02:10:41 AM »

Frank, why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?

Because my girlfriend has a weak spot for bunnies. So either this costume or watching "Night of the Lepus" together on Saturday nights is the largest possible intersection of our otherwise somewhat diverging interests in the art of moving pictures.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DONNIE DARKO (2001) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.