Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:45 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Jim Carrey Movie? « previous next »
Poll
Question: What's your favorite Jim Carrey Movie?
The Mask - 1 (3.4%)
Liar Liar - 3 (10.3%)
Dumb & Dumber - 4 (13.8%)
The Cable Guy - 2 (6.9%)
Batman Forever - 1 (3.4%)
The Truman Show - 3 (10.3%)
Man on the Moon - 2 (6.9%)
Me, Myself & Irene - 1 (3.4%)
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - 2 (6.9%)
The Majestic - 0 (0%)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas - 0 (0%)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 2 (6.9%)
Bruce Almighty - 1 (3.4%)
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 1 (3.4%)
Horton Hears A Who! - 0 (0%)
The Number 23 - 1 (3.4%)
Earth Girls Are Easy - 0 (0%)
Once Bitten - 0 (0%)
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls - 2 (6.9%)
I don't like any of his movies - 3 (10.3%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Favorite Jim Carrey Movie?  (Read 13737 times)
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 05:34:55 PM »

I believe he was most successfully in his element in DUMB & DUMBER, a film which still boasts the most unexepected performance by a usually serious actor(Jeff Daniels) ever...and right after his stunning work in GETTYSBURG!

Carrey seems trapped by that ironic silliness that plagues alot of actors who become known because of/or are primarily used for comedic roles.  The one where the general moviegoing audience is tired of seeing him do the same schtick over and over, yet when he tries more unusual(blacker comedy, less slapstick or straight out dramatic) nobody digs it.  Often people say "I just can't take him seriously in something like that".  Yeah but they also chirp "He needs to do something different!"  Lookingup
I feel a bit for him with this.   

I think THE TRUMAN SHOW has tapped his other abilities more effectively than any other non-stooge effort.   Though I think his Riddler is BATMAN FOREVER was a pretty good balance between the contemporary obsession with "darker is better" and the inescapable spirit of Frank Gorshin's interpretation of the character.

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »

Robin Williams is the only actor I can compare him with in this gifted category.

You think they're annoying?

It doesn't matter. That kind of CONSTANT/PERPETUAL performance energy and creativity is so rare I have a hard time seeing satires of them as anything but the uninspired grumblings of jealous staff writers.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 10:26:04 PM »

Robin Williams is the only actor I can compare him with in this gifted category.

It doesn't matter. That kind of CONSTANT/PERPETUAL performance energy and creativity is so rare I have a hard time seeing satires of them as anything but the uninspired grumblings of jealous staff writers.

I love both those guys, but they are different which is good.  Williams is more into the silly voice comedy whereas Carrey is into the physical/facial schtick.  More classic slapstick than Williams.

I'm glad they are different from each other because there would be unfair comparisons.  And I think both of them have done drama very well also.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »

I love both those guys, but they are different which is good.  Williams is more into the silly voice comedy whereas Carrey is into the physical/facial schtick.  More classic slapstick than Williams.

I'm glad they are different from each other because there would be unfair comparisons.  And I think both of them have done drama very well also.
I've seen Carrey's drama's, and felt he carried himself very well.  The scripts might not have been up to par, but his performances were good.  I can't say I've seen any of Williams dramas.  He can be very funny, for sure, but seems way too manic as well.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 12:59:58 AM »

I've seen Carrey's drama's, and felt he carried himself very well.  The scripts might not have been up to par, but his performances were good.  I can't say I've seen any of Williams dramas.  He can be very funny, for sure, but seems way too manic as well.

Williams was hilarious in Death To Smoochy, which is completely underrated and overlooked in my book.  Williams is quite manic, but I suspect his mania developed as a result of his addiction to cocaine and booze and god knows what else.  I saw a dvd of him live on stage.  The guy just did not stop and I've never seen anyone sweat so much in my life.  I think he was high then as well.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »

Yeah, I heard about Robin's coke addiction or use, whichever. 

I think his standup is kinda good, but I've only seen a little of it. 

One bit of trivia I heard was that both Carrey and Williams were up for and considered for the Riddler role in Batman Forever.  I felt Carrey did a great job with it, but I wonder what Williams would've done.  Don't know if he's too "crazy" for the role. 

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 06:54:14 PM »

This is what I think of Robin williams.

Small | Large

Actually, he's not that bad as long as he's in the right movie.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »

One bit of trivia I heard was that both Carrey and Williams were up for and considered for the Riddler role in Batman Forever.  I felt Carrey did a great job with it, but I wonder what Williams would've done.  Don't know if he's too "crazy" for the role. 

I didn't know that.  But I'm glad Carrey got the role.  I think he did a great job balancing crazy and funny against evil.  Williams would have put too much comedy in it.  To me, he's either funny or he's serious.  He can't do the borderline thing too well.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »

I didn't know that.  But I'm glad Carrey got the role.  I think he did a great job balancing crazy and funny against evil.  Williams would have put too much comedy in it.  To me, he's either funny or he's serious.  He can't do the borderline thing too well.
Jim did great with it.  Had that balance, like you said, of making the jokes and being psychotic enough.  Robin's Riddler would've been like, making puns, doing impressions, dancing.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »

Jim did great with it.  Had that balance, like you said, of making the jokes and being psychotic enough.  Robin's Riddler would've been like, making puns, doing impressions, dancing.

However, if he did do that it would have reminded people of the riddler from the old Batman show, let's face it all he did was run around like an idiot.

Yes, salad.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 08:51:01 PM »

It would've fit the show, but I don't feel as though Batman Forever was as campy as the show was. 

Others would disagree and that's their opinion.  I felt the movie had some camp, sure, but not enough to warrant a Riddler like that.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 10:19:48 PM »

It would've fit the show, but I don't feel as though Batman Forever was as campy as the show was. 

Others would disagree and that's their opinion.  I felt the movie had some camp, sure, but not enough to warrant a Riddler like that.

I'm just saying that some people would feel nostalgic about it.  I never said it would be any good.

Yes, salad.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 08:30:40 AM »

I'm just saying that some people would feel nostalgic about it.  I never said it would be any good.
I see what you're saying.

What I'm curious about is how Billy Dee Williams would have played Harvey Two Face for it.  I know he was in the first Batman, but he had a "pay or Play" contract, so they paid him to not be in the movie.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Jim Carrey Movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.