Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:14:47 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things I've learned about cars from movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Things I've learned about cars from movies  (Read 14298 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 22, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »

Cars often launch themselves into the air at dramatically appropriate moments.
99% of the time, cars explode in a collision, no matter how minor.
1% of the time, cars do not explode.  They flip over and THEN explode.
The explosion will come from the passenger compartment or under the hood of the car.  Explosions never come from the area of the car containing the gas tank.
If a bad guy is in the car, it will explode immediately.  If a good guy is in the car, it will not explode until he has crawled out and run a short distance away.
If a car jumps over a ramp or other such obstacle, flies through the air, and makes a very hard landing, it will still run just fine.  In fact, you can do this several times with no damage to the car.
Most cars produce extremely loud, V8 exhaust notes regardless of whatever engine they actually have.
Car tires will squeal on dirt, gravel, snow, or sheet ice.
Driving on a perfectly straight road requires constant, large movements of the steering wheel.
No matter how fast you are already going, hard acceleration requires slamming it down at least two gears.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:25:33 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
redsneaker
Dedicated Viewer

Malcolm, get me my hypo-gun - quickly!

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:19:54 AM »

Great Post!!! hehehehe! You are correct! Thumbup

"Strange and unexplained events are occuring."
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »

Great post. definite karma..

Also have you ever noticed that when a car launches itself off of a parking building, bridge, cliff, ect.. that if you catch a glimpse of the underneath of the car, it magically becomes just a shell with tires.. no guts in the belly so to speak...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:01:43 AM »

You forgot one:  If a car is parked in a remote area and there's a killer on the loose, the battery will automatically go dead.   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

There is always at least one parked car that is unlocked and ready to drive, whether or not you can do this depends on your position in the film, if you're a minor supporting character you'll get in the car, have no way to start it and get killed/eaten by the creature/maniac, also if the killer gets in the car with you none of the other doors will open. If on the other hand you're the star or main character of the film you will know that in addition to leaving the car unlocked the owner keeps a spare set of keys behind the driver's side sun visor, find them immediately, start the car and drive away.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »

If the hero drives the car, it automatically becomes bulletproof

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Zap Rowsdower
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »

Also... All cars are easy to hot wire , since you only need to touch two wires together and both wires are lose , already striped and hanging out from under the dashboard.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:11:32 AM »

They also tend to explode the moment they drive off a cliff.  Either that or some maniac has traveled around the world, planting anti-vehicle mines on the sides of steep cliffs, just in case a car goes over the edge.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »

Really speedy cars don't actually need ramps to jump. For example, the '69 Dodge Charger can jump over practically any obstacle from a perfectly flat road.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
peter johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »

This has sort of been touched upon, but cars demonstrate unexpected resiliance if used in chases, though cars being chased are much more invulnerable than the cars doing the chasing --
Heck, you can smash them through market stalls, crates of heavy vegetables, fountains, other vehicles, doorways -- As long as you're being chased, this will result in at most some dust on the body and perhaps a few cosmetic dents.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »

Further to that, cars involved in a chase are far less likely to collide with other cars, or sustain damage from such a collision, while running red lights or emerging suddenly from alleys. This is balanced by the large number of collisions between the cars around them.

---------------------
BTM

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »

More neat facts...

In a high speed car chase/gun battle, no bullets will ever hit a needed component of the car which will cause it to slow down and stop.

EXCEPTION: If you're a good guy on foot, shooting at bad guys who are racing towards you, you'll miraculously ALWAYS hit something (or someone) that'll cause the car to veer off at the last moment (or explode outright). 

Plus, more often than not, bullet holes will magically appear/disappear over time.

Also, jumping out of a moving car does very little damage to you, so long as you "tuck and roll".

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »

And shooting the driver of a car racing toward you will always cause it to miss you. It will never just continue on its course.

And in rare cases where a bullet does hit some vital component of a hero's car, we see that it is capable of running much longer than a normal car after losing all of its oil, coolant or fuel. What's more, anything but total destruction can usually be repaired in a few hours with what's at hand. Something like a cracked block might take a day or two.

---------------------
El Dogo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

If there is a monster or killer nearby, the engine will not catch.  It will have the strongest freshest battery possible, for some odd reason, but it just won't catch.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »

If there is a monster or killer nearby, the engine will not catch.  It will have the strongest freshest battery possible, for some odd reason, but it just won't catch.

Exception:  The car in Evil Dead 2.   BounceGiggle

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things I've learned about cars from movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.