Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:32:09 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things I've learned about cars from movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Things I've learned about cars from movies  (Read 14372 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »

If a car is chasing a guy on a skateboard and the guy makes a sharp turn the car will invariably end up crashing into the back of a massive manure truck, showering the occupants with tonnes of cow waste. especially if the film stars michael j fox and is called "Back To The Future"

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »

I've learned that if you get to the car, you will try the door but it's locked and you forgot the car keys, and by the time you go back in the house and back to the car with them, you will try the door and this time it will be open... and the inside of the car will be steamy...

I've learned that when the killer is about to get to the driver's door, the occupant will always fumble at least 3 times getting the key into the ignition...

I've learned the killer gets to the car first anyway and is always hiding in the backseat...

I've learned that driving off the edge of the Grand Canyon can't be good...

I've learned that if you stomp on the brake at high enough speed, and pull upwards on the wheel, you can make an ordinary Buick become airborne, and do amazing stunts like jump a semitrailer... 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
redsneaker
Dedicated Viewer

Malcolm, get me my hypo-gun - quickly!

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »

I have also noticed that from scene to scene the rear view mirror can become invisible and then rear appear instantly. The same can happen with cracks in the windshield.

"Strange and unexplained events are occuring."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:33 AM »

Also... All cars are easy to hot wire , since you only need to touch two wires together and both wires are lose , already striped and hanging out from under the dashboard.

LOL, that's one of my favorites.  Apparently the wires are hooked up to the starter, but once the car starts, the two wires are twisted together.  But, um, wouldn't than mean the starter would be running the whole time the car is?  You sort of want those things to turn off once the car starts.  And how about the actual ignition system of the car that sends electricity to the spark plugs?  That's apparently somehow magically run through that same wire.  Maybe it's just the on/off wire for the car.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »

Having changed the ignition switch on a car, I can truthfully say that the wires are not that easy to get at, much less identify in a hurry.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:37:02 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 09:59:01 AM »

Cars with some personality usually have silly names (Herbie, Christine, KITT,...)

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
peter johnson

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 01:34:19 PM »

Having shot a number of badmovies, especially ones involving car chases (Robochic, Kill Line, et.al.), I can say that the reason mirrors are always disappearing is that they are so difficult to shoot around, especially those big honking jobs in the middle of windscreens.

Yep, if you're observant enough, you'll notice in most TV shows AND movies, the central windshield mounted mirror tends to come and go quite a bit, depending on the shot.
You want your audience to focus on faces, and those mirrors tend to block the shot.

Also, notice how often the passenger windows are rolled down on car-interior shots, or how even sometimes the glass is just missing altogether from windscreen or side windows.  The reason is that those pesky glass surfaces tend to reflect crews & cameras very well indeed . . .
peter johnson/denny who's that behind her with that boom mike??

I have no idea what this means.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »

When the hero needs to get away and he needs a car, no matter how expensive it is, it's never fitted with a car alarm.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »

When beginning a chase, both drivers are obligated to hold down the brake and spin the tires for several seconds. Also, when heading for a wall, the driver of the bad car may not bail out or hit the brakes but must instead lock their arms against the wheel, lean back and scream.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »

Whenever someone, hero or villain, needs a car in a hurry, drivers will readily give theirs up with little more than a baffled look and maybe a "Hey!" if they're especially assertive.

---------------------
Neville

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »

Whenever the people inside the car need to evade the police or the bad guys, who still haven't noticed them, instead of leaving the scene quietly, the driver will step on it, leaving the place in the middle of smoke, screeching tires and nearly hitting all nearby cars.

Also, a few years ago I had a car accident. I accidentally hit the ditch on my right while doing 60 and my car lost control. It invaded the opposite lane of the road (thanks God nobody was coming from that direction) then slipped back to my own lane, before stopping. I later learned the first hit had destroyed the steering. I had no idea steering could be that fragile, and now whenever I see a car in a movie that suffers a lot of damage (like when they fly through the air and then land noisily without stopping, or they jump on sidewalks at high speed) I can't help but thinking steering should be damaged.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:42:25 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »

Cars in Scottish A-bomb shelters will always start on the first try after 30 years.   Lookingup

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:02 PM »

Cars in some junkyards are equally reliable, and often have fuel and keys in them.

---------------------
wanderarbeiter
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:41 AM »

Cars in Scottish A-bomb shelters will always start on the first try after 30 years.   Lookingup

I learned that you can drive an Aston Martin through a bus and receive no damage to the car or yourself.

Also the strength of windshields varies greatly depending upon who is in the car.

A Masterpiece of Low Expectations
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 07:20:07 AM »

The strength of a hero's windshield also varies, depending on whether he needs it for protection or needs to smash it out from inside with a gunbarrel to get a clear shot.

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things I've learned about cars from movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.