Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:10:41 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org Forum (not as fun as it used to be?) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Badmovies.org Forum (not as fun as it used to be?)  (Read 22652 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: March 23, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »

Is it just me or have you been asking yourself, "What is going on with this forum?"
Has the Badmovies.org forum become somewhat "dilluted" to you?
It has to me.   Bluesad

Long gone are the days where I'd post a topic and it'd get 50+ responses in 2-3 days. (some still do but they're rare)
These days, I'll really think hard about what to write and then create a topic that I think will encourage serious discussion and then post it only to see it get less than ten responses...if that.  Not that the number of responses count.  Well...they do...it's quality above quantity.  But sometimes quantity helps you measure what people are interested in.

Many of us write threads and they may be viewed several times, but no one responds.
Sometimes, it can take up to a week before a thread someone wrote garners a measley 10 responses.

Part of the problem is the influx of newcomers who don't really offer anything new.
Some do.  But usually it's something that one of us regulars has done before and they're just doing it in a different way.

I don't know...
I look around this board and it seems that the excitement is gone.
Sometimes it'll come back.  But it only lasts for a day or two.

What's up with that?

I used to look forward to coming here every day but now, I can leave for a week or even a month and come back and it's the same old same old... Question

In my opinion, this forum has become too "dilluted".
Like when you order an alcoholic drink and they water it down too much.
It isn't the same as the full strength stuff.

Maybe there's too many boards.
I've thought it through and the number of boards seems right...
But the fun has evaporated.
This forum just isn't as fun as it used to be.
At least to me it isn't.

After almost 8 years here I thought that maybe I'm just getting older and things are changing.
Yes, they're changing...but not for the better.
Please remember that this is how I see things.
You may see it very differently.
Or you may totally agree with me.

I would love nothing more than to see this forum fire up with creativity and humor.
But as of now, it seems to be severely lacking.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:52:42 AM by Ash » Logged
IRSISRSRI
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:21:02 AM »

I can't really say since I haven't really read or contributed to this forum. But looking around it doesn't get that much traffic.

I do see members feel like this a lot on other forums that I have been a part of for a long time. Sometimes it's a case of "the older I get, the better things were", but most likely this forum is very similar to what it was when it was fun for you. Just after years of being here posts seem recycled.

I guess it's like watching a bad movie for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time >_>. It's never as good as the first run.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:48:46 AM »

Ash, I've been noticing the same thing, and I think it's the new format.

When it was all one board, we could see all the activity. I generally don't go through each of these smaller boards, and I'm finding that I only frequent a couple of them on a regular basis. It's very easy to just check new replies of my own posts and miss new threads. I check unread posts, but it's quite easy, in the course of reading posts, to be drawn elsewhere without seeing more than the first few.

I'm finding it difficult to stay on top of what new threads are added. There are a couple of ways to do that, but nothing seems as natural as just having them all in front of me.

In general, I think the single board made for better discussions, because we all knew everything that was going on. It's like the difference between going to a party where everybody is hanging out in the kitchen, and going to one where people are split up in various rooms. You can wander from group to group, but you miss things, and the goings on never get quite as lively as when the whole group is in one room.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »

I've only been here about 8 months, but I love the place already.  I check it almost every day, unless I just get incredibly busy.  But when  I come back I try to check all the unread posts since my last visit.  At least, I read thru the titles.  If it's a topic I have zero interest in, I may skip it, but I would guess that I usually read at least half of all new topics posted, and I make my own posts with some regularity.  Personally, I think what this forum needs is the return of the ever caustic, ever offensive, but never boring . .  . . . .

MENARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
redsneaker
Dedicated Viewer

Malcolm, get me my hypo-gun - quickly!

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »

Well... For what it's worth I am new here and I have enjoyed it very much.

"Strange and unexplained events are occuring."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:40:19 PM »

One of my concerns with all the sub-boards was making it difficult for people to keep track of things, but a problem we were seeing with the older board was that topics quickly scrolled off the screen (and were forgotten) with the number of new topics being started.

However, your best friend (for keeping track of new topics) is:  "Show unread posts since last visit" which is at the top of your screen, in the welcome box that also shows your personal avatar - if you use one.  It takes you to this page:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php?action=unread

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »

I'll agree with Ash on one thing, it's been a long time since a post really got on a roll.  I remember when it wasn't uncommon for a single thread to garner well over a 100 responses.  I can remember quite a few that just wouldn't die.

I also get a little frustrated with all the different sub boards, but Andrew has a point about the old board, posts would disappear pretty quickly sometimes.

I know by the number of reads subjects get that we must have a helluva a lot of lurkers hanging around and contributing to the discussion.

My addiction to the board has been toned down somewhat, but I can remember a day when if this forum went down there were a bunch of us that would have serious withdrawal symptoms.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Menard
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »

Did someone mention my name?

First of all...

...you b***hes

(I say that with love Lookingup)

Ahem...

I had said, some time ago, that the new format made things different from the old.

Unlike the old format, where everyone knew what was going on, threads get lost with all of the sub-forums. Additionally, that sense of community is sacrifced as well, pretty much for the same reason; you don't know what is going on everywhere on the board.

That is not a negative, though. Yes, we who were here before the format change do miss those days of having a very close-knit group that, considering my experiences with other forums, was rare on the internet; but, we let it falter. The forum was going south as new posts were few and far between. Seems like the answer was to try something different.

A lot of good people came along and contributed as much as many of the old class. Yes, one or two pieces of human s**t left their stench around here, but what do you expect when you make a forum more accessible?

Keeping that sense of close-knit community would have been great. Keeping it as much fun as it had always been would have been great. We didn't do that, though.

Andrew made a successful change to the forum. He has always maintained an open forum where anybody can post, whether a member or not. This certainly takes a great deal more work, and too many p***y forum admins take the easy way out by requiring ridiculous registration steps just to join in on a conversation (my apologies to p***y admins everywhere....yeah, right Lookingup).

Look around the internet and try to find another place like this; I dare you.

Some have commented about forums before being just a forum. Perhaps, to them, they are. Though, like a favorite coffee shop, or other gathering place where you go to meet friends and have a good time, and get away from the rat race, this is a special place where we all shared good time, tragedies, and the events of our lives. It is your place; if you don't feel this way about, then...maybe you shouldn't be here.

Want more activity?

Create it.

Want more members?

Ask people to join?

Want me to shut up?

Up your ass. TongueOut (I think the the members themselves can distinguish at whom that was intended Wink)

If you really want some suggestions to improve the forum, here are a few, but this primarily deals with the mechanics of it:

1) SMF does have a recent posts feature that will load on the main index page. The problem with it is that it will slow the page load and, with lots of activity, a lot of post will simply be missed if someone becomes used to using it that much.

2) Get rid of the karma system. Some people here (I think you know who you are) have become pussies by hiding behind an arbitrary numbers system rather than coming out and saying what's on your mind. Want more posts? Require that people have to post to tell someone what they think, yay or nay, rather than clicking on a simple link.

3) Get rid of the damn Google search and go back to the forum's own search. I can't find a damn thing with that search; and if I want to read something brilliantly written on this forum, I am relegated to having to search for my own writing. TongueOut

Pretty much, that's all I have to say (shut up with the cheering...b***hes). You have the main ingredient for everything here: people. Use it.

Ahh...thank you...thank you very mush.

Menard has left the building.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »

First of all...you b***hes (I say that with love Lookingup)… Want me to shut up?  Up your ass. TongueOut (I think the the members themselves can distinguish at whom that was intended Wink)
Yes, this is what we need.  More of that terrific wisdom, peppered with insults.   Lookingup   Anybody miss that?  I find the lurking obscene critic as perplexing as the phantom that wants to wreak vengeance on everybody but doesn't explain why.  But, I must admit that Menard once again offers insight. 

Unlike the old format, where everyone knew what was going on, threads get lost with all of the sub-forums. Additionally, that sense of community is sacrifced as well, pretty much for the same reason; you don't know what is going on everywhere on the board… That is not a negative, though. Yes, we who were here before the format change do miss those days of having a very close-knit group that, considering my experiences with other forums, was rare on the internet; but, we let it falter. The forum was going south as new posts were few and far between.  Seems like the answer was to try something different.
A lot of good people came along and contributed as much as many of the old class. Yes, one or two pieces of human s**t left their stench around here, but what do you expect when you make a forum more accessible?  Keeping that sense of close-knit community would have been great. Keeping it as much fun as it had always been would have been great. We didn't do that, though.
Andrew made a successful change to the forum. He has always maintained an open forum where anybody can post, whether a member or not. This certainly takes a great deal more work, and too many p***y forum admins take the easy way out by requiring ridiculous registration steps just to join in on a conversation (my apologies to p***y admins everywhere....yeah, right Lookingup).
I agree with the Menard.   One thing (among many) that I can say for this board is that a poster can say what they want here.  Though one's comments may not be popular (as gauged, for example, by the karma system) I have yet to see anyone driven off of this board by anything more than their own wounded vanity.  Having been driven off the old SCIFILM board like the Frankenstein monster by villagers with torches and pitchforks (my user ID deleted, for voicing unpopular opinions and taking the board on, though I was later reinstated through the auspices of the webmaster) I know what's it's like to be a part of an online community... and to lose it.  The failure of that old beloved SCIFILM board was that unpopular opinions were not tolerated, and even skewered.  So, with all true democracies, it's liberty for all and compromise for the elite.   Small communities are much less tolerant of dissenters. 

Look around the internet and try to find another place like this; I dare you.
Well said.  I have found none.   Only SCIFILM was more of a community to me than BADMOVIES. 

Get rid of the karma system. Some people here (I think you know who you are) have become pussies by hiding behind an arbitrary numbers system rather than coming out and saying what's on your mind. Want more posts? Require that people have to post to tell someone what they think, yay or nay, rather than clicking on a simple link.
Once again, I agree with the Menard, however his persistent resurfacing does diminish the legend,  no?   How credible is that tidbit about karma I must point out?  After all, it was about karma…(and aren’t we thinking that)?  There I go, being challenging and trying to be interesting.  At least, we’re not all dead here. 
Check this out:
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,113074.0.html

Menard has left the building.
Again...??
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:52:47 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menard
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 09:55:14 PM »

TeddyR
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 10:11:05 PM »

TeddyR
BounceGiggle I'd give ya karma if I could.   Wink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 10:34:50 PM »

Thanks for weighing in, Menard.  Karma from me . . . when you join again!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 11:21:02 PM »

I'm currently in the process of getting a life, which, sadly, comes with certain trade-offs.  BounceGiggle
Still, this board's way more active than some of the others I've tried.  Thumbup
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm desperately needed by the women of the world.  Wink

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 04:54:24 AM »

Despite having a deep set love for the old style of the board, I quite enjoy the new style and have grown accustomed to it.  I'm one who doesn't reply all that much anymore but only because I don't have much to say as of late.  If a topic doesn't interest me, then I won't respond - simple as that.  My new job has also been keeping me extremely occupied and I'm not checking the site every 5 minutes like I would at my previous job.

I'm assuming it's the same for everyone else.  People have a lot of stuff going on and only enough time to read and respond to a few posts.  We are now entering the time of year that is notorious for being the doldrums for the site and I have a feeling that activity here will only get worse.  We have this same conversation and thread each year around this same time.

By winter, things will pick back up and activity will rise again.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:13:40 AM »

Want me to shut up?

Up your ass. TongueOut (I think the the members themselves can distinguish at whom that was intended Wink)

Oh, I think I can guess who it was aimed at.
Me.

Seriously...and I ask you all with the utmost sincerety.
What is your fascination with Menard?

To me, he's a rude, loud mouthed fool.
He says things like "you b***hes" and you eat it up??
What is wrong with you?

The fact that some of you seem to desperately want him back is quite disturbing to me.
Do you really want this guy back?
There's a reason why he left.  It's because he doesn't play well with others.
He's like a more rude and "not funny" version of Howard Stern.
A wannabe "internet shock jock" who is NOT funny but thinks he is.

The guy is like 40+ years old, probably unmarried and for good reason.
Because based upon his bahavior, he's probably just like that in real life and no woman in their right mind would put up with it.

Yes, sometimes Menard does make some good points, when he's not purposely trying to be a dick.
He has posted on my threads and I on his and he's offered some solid and useful advice.
But his griefing and adolescent-like behavior has not only rattled my cage, but others as well.  (you know who you are)
Menard, why do you feel the need to act like a teenager?

To everyone...answer me this...
If some newbie registered here on this board and started acting as rudely as Menard, you'd give him negative karma up the ass and then ignore him.
Don't tell me you wouldn't because I know you would.  
Yes...you would.

I remember years ago when I first started posting here.  I was an immature ass who wanted to attract people's attention.  (just like Menard)
Eventually, I grew up, matured and realized that acting like a teenager wasn't the way to effectively get my point across.
I believe Menard is a classic textbook case of "arrested development".
And if he's not, he has some serious maturity issues to deal with.

I debated for a while whether to write this but I cannot hold off any longer.  Menard's own comments drove me to it.
I consider you all to be very intelligent people and if you think having Menard back will make this board better, then maybe I was wrong about you.
Not that you're unintelligent...I don't think that at all.  But I would seriously question your "people preferences".
Granted, different strokes for different folks and I would not ever presume to tell you who you should like or dislike.
But saying how you love Menard and how you miss him and how you want him back is seriously f***ing with my head.

Menard, be glad that I didn't write this as a seperate thread to single you out.
I tolerate you and that's as far as it goes.  But you don't want to get into it with me and I don't want to get into it with you.  
I would welcome you back if you dropped some of the attitude and stopped acting like you're still in high school.

And that's all I have to say about that.  (please do not give me negative karma for stating my opinion....it's at 194 and I expect it to stay that way)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:16:49 AM by Ash » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org Forum (not as fun as it used to be?) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.