Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:08:38 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org Forum (not as fun as it used to be?) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Badmovies.org Forum (not as fun as it used to be?)  (Read 22888 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 05:54:54 AM »

I can say there are things Ilike better about the board now. Having sub-boards for captions, haikus, weird news items and such. It's guaranteed a steady supply of them, rather than just when someone happens to think of it. And you don't have to worry about posting too many of these types of things when they have a place of their own. The downside is that it's easy to use up your time just writing captions and poems, at last when short visits are all you can manage.

I personally like the karma system, but I don't take it too seriously. It's nice to know whether your posts are getting a response, and sometimes people like or dislike something, but refrain from posting because they have nothing to add. That said, I often wish I knew which post the karma was for. There are times when it jumps up or falls back, and I have no idea what I posted that would account for it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 05:57:03 AM »

Oh, I think I can guess who it was aimed at.
Me.

As usual, Ash, you are wrong. If you want to feel that things I say are directed at you, should it somehow make you feel better, go ahead.

You spend quite a bit of time obsessing about me in that diatribe...er...me....er...no....really, it is you.

The whole thing comes off like a class clown having a jealous fit when the rest of the class starts paying attention to the new kid in class.

If you want the class's attention...well hell....you can do it...just do it.

You did teach me an important lesson:

I have been in your corner, many times. Unfortunately, I have learned never to have my back to you.

I won't do that to you.

Love and kisses from your favorite griefing teen-ager.  mhwaaaa

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 08:22:59 AM »

I can see your point in some ways, Ash. This board has slowed down a bit from time to time, and yes, the posts do sometimes get redundant as new people join. The good thing, though, is that new movies, books, music, and TV shows are being made all the time, so revisiting "What's your favorite..." type topics isn't a bad thing. I agree with Menard that there is no other forum (at least none I've found) that is as close-knit as this one. There are some occasional flare-ups with differing opinions (like the one between you and Menard on this topic), but overall, this is still a swell place to be.

I'd like to make a couple of observations about you as I've come to know you through your posts, Ash. First, you seem to be what I would call a social butterfly: You enjoy getting out and meeting new people, doing new things, gaining as many friends as possible. If things slow down, you tend toward despair. I can only speak for myself, but I view the slow-downs on this forum as more of a comfortable silence between friends. There is only so much that a person will post about himself/herself on an open forum. Some are more willing than others, and you are one of the more willing ones; you have shared some very personal things here, and most of us (well, me, anyway) appreciate your candor. I will post some personal things, but I am by nature a fairly reserved individual. I have not had the social success that you seem to live in, so I am more cautious about what I reveal on the internet. I think that applies to at least some others here as well.

Another observation concerns something you said in your initial post: you said that you used to be able to get a lot of responses to topics (good thing). In your response to Menard's last comment, you also admitted that when you first joined the forum you behaved poorly. You used to really "push the limits" of the forum, bringing up controversial things just for the sake of stirring things up. You've mellowed considerably over time, and you are more immediately likeable for it. Your newer, mellower self, however, may also be part of the reason your posts get fewer responses. This isn't a criticism; just an observation.

As for Menard, I think people like having him around (me, anyway) because he is honest, even brutally so when he feels it necessary (like, oh say, always). Yes, he can be caustic, and yes, like most people, he will overreact to some things. But you never have to wonder where you stand with him. I seldom let the arrested teenager part of my personality show, but it's still there, and sometimes it's nice to see someone willing to draw it out. He pushes the limits, much the way you did. I don't always agree with him, but he's usually interesting to read.

Again, Ash, don't take this as criticism; from what I can tell about you through this forum, I'd probably like you in real life. I'd probably like Menard, too. One of the reasons I like this board is that I'd probably like most of the posters here in real life, even if I don't necessarily agree with them all the time. And that's what brings me back here every day, even when things are slow.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 08:47:52 AM »

Though I have been on for 7-8 years (I have lost track) I have not posted much.  Call me a semi-lurker.

I love this place: has to be the source of the most intelligent discussions I have come across.  Few though they may seem to be these days.

I have become aware that I have not seen as many posts by certain 'regulars' lately - I was thinking it was because of the compartmentalization: that I do not 'go' on the boards where they post most.  It seems we have ended up with 'mini-communities' based on more specialized areas of interest?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
odinn7

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 12:46:19 PM »

This is still one of my favorite boards though I don't post here as much as I used to for various reasons. I haven't seen many other boards that are this relaxed with the rules and have so many decent people. s**t...I moderated the TAPS board for a while and you wouldn't believe the crap and anger that was thrown around that place...much of it by the mods and admins. Here....I know that the mods are decent people and will treat everyone fairly...that is if they're ever needed to do anything which by itself is quite amazing. And as far as Andrew goes...the man is more than fair and seems quite personable as well.

Too many other places are not like this at all. They have their little cliques...they have their power hungry mods...the admins have god complexes...members fight constantly...

I took quite some time away from this board because of things that were going on in my life but I am glad to be back here whether it's exactly the way it was when I joined or not.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »

Hi Ash,
My only problem with this forum is the lack of true dialogue.  I read your post about Menard, but perhaps you did not read mine just ahead of it?  The gist of what you've written had been said, without resorting to insulting Menard in return. 

Seriously...and I ask you all with the utmost sincerety.
What is your fascination with Menard?
To me, he's a rude, loud mouthed fool.
He says things like "you b***hes" and you eat it up??
What is wrong with you?
The fact that some of you seem to desperately want him back is quite disturbing to me.
Do you really want this guy back?
I started my posting thus:
"Yes, this is what we need.  More of that terrific wisdom, peppered with insults.  Anybody miss that?  I find the lurking obscene critic as perplexing as the phantom that wants to wreak vengeance on everybody but doesn't explain why."   

I also wrote: "Once again, I agree with the Menard, however his persistent resurfacing does diminish the legend, no?   How credible is that tidbit about karma I must point out?  After all, it was about karma…(and aren’t we thinking that)?"  The link embedded in my posting takes you to an old plea of Menard's for karma. 

There's a reason why he left.  It's because he doesn't play well with others.  He's like a more rude and "not funny" version of Howard Stern...I debated for a while whether to write this but I cannot hold off any longer.  Menard's own comments drove me to it. 
I consider you all to be very intelligent people and if you think having Menard back will make this board better, then maybe I was wrong about you.  Not that you're unintelligent...I don't think that at all.  But I would seriously question your "people preferences".
Granted, different strokes for different folks and I would not ever presume to tell you who you should like or dislike.  But saying how you love Menard and how you miss him and how you want him back is seriously f***ing with my head.

Menard may have been amused by what I wrote, which I found funny, but don't assume that there aren't clear shots taken at the Menard "legend":
"...Though one's comments may not be popular (as gauged, for example, by the karma system) I have yet to see anyone driven off of this board by anything more than their own wounded vanity." 

I have to admit I often don't feel connected to this forum, though I certainly try to put myself out there.  I don't think there is anyone on the forum who takes more care with their writing than myself.  That said, this second posting of mine again demonstrates the wonderful tolerance of this forum. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »

I only visit about three boards on a regular basis and this has been one of my favorites for a few years now.  I remember when it was primitive threads like on IMDB and I love the format now.  Subboards are a great way to centralize certain types of conversations and I have my favorites. 

But I must admit that this is a more friendly board than a lot of other places.  True, there's been a bit too much on the political/religious topics (as that type of stuff belongs on those types of forums), especially from the right (hahah just kiddin my friends over there in the other aisle) but it's good to see people mainly keep pretty friendly even about politics and religion (for the most part) where as other boards I see flame wars over trivial stuff such as Batman Villains or whether Halley Barry is a good actress, for example. 

This is the best place to get info about new bad movies, old bad movies, and even other bad elements of our pop culture, without filtering through a bunch of flame wars, but we have peaks and valleys I suppose.  I'd say hang in there but obviously many of you have for years :)   Things fluctuate, new and old members come and go due to natural circumstances.  I think this place has gotten better. 

I try to do my part and add stuff, interesting or not...my own reviews, bad video submissions, bad music album reviews, goofy youtube I've come across, bad television memories, obscure films from my memory, and of course, our own series of Interactive B-flicks, which some more of you could help out on (hint hint) :)  Perhaps I'll have to get another photoshop thread started or maybe even another "fake movie titles" to make fun of the latest batch of "what if" movie crossovers, sequels, and prequels!

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »

Well, heres my 2 cents,  though I should get change back.  I have no use for flames, inflamatory dialogue, arguing for the sake of being loud, or things like "Up your @$$."  cos' frankly, I don't give a flaming damn what you think, and I prefer not to read it (so I don't, and focus on the stuff thats interesting).  I like to converse, learn stuff, and hold real substantive coversations with smart folks, many of whom are here.

I'm a long-time semi-contributor, and there are many people whom I genuinely like and respect on here.  If you lived closer, I'd have a BBQ.  My current activity is low cos I have a 13 month old whom I see aout 90 minutes a day most of the time, and frankly she's more important. 

I have done several boards and I have stuck here becaue of the the great people, quality content, and lack of stupid flaming.  Menard, I like ya, you are fun, and your anti idiot stance is refreshing.  Ash, I have long enjoyed your company and insights.  But if you or anyone is gonna be here just to be noisy, p**s off. I have better things to do than listen to crass flaming. 

So if you want fun, make it... y'all are like bored 8 year olds on a rainy day.  We're not here to entertain you.   You wanna talk, or share cool stuff and intelligent opinions, I'm here.  If not, I'll be at the park.
-Ed

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:36:48 PM by Ed » Logged

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 03:12:18 PM »

I've come to love this board. It's by far my favourite place to post at the moment (and I also post at the Wormboard  [located at www.wormwoodchronciles.com] and the classic horror film board on occasion). The threads are often very interesting to read, even if I personally don't always agree with what's being said or sometimes don't have the time to put in the responses which I'd sometimes like. Also sometimes I'm bothered that only an handful here seem to have good knowledge of the classics of the genre (by which I mean pre-1970s stuff) but hey, the smart kids will find those themselves in time. Having new posters come aboard is key to the life of the message board IMO otherwise it just becomes the same group of posters retreading the same ground and constantly agreeing or disagreeing with one another. It does makes for more interesting conversation when two sides of an argument are getting support than when everyone just seems to enforce the same line of thinking all the time, even if at times I may fall in line with some of that thinking.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »

I've only been on this forum a while, but I quite like it.  I guess I don't have anything else to compare it to.  I don't post to all topics in all forums.  Only the ones I think I can contribute something to.

Eg,  The thread about PS2 games.  My son has a console, but I think those kinds of games are a waste of time and I would never buy a game console for myself.  So I haven't read the thread and won't contribute to it.

Maybe the slackness is just due to people being busy and not having the time to sit in front of a screen in their off hours.  I know I won't be posting for much longer myself.  I only have access to the net at work and my contract with this job will come to an end soon.  So unless I get another job with unlimited net access, I'll be off the air for a while.

I probably won't be getting a pc at home.  I'm trying to simplify my life right now.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »

Sorry, Ash.  Too long, didn't read.

TeddyR

I could have resisted saying it, but I didn't.

You did undermine yer own thread there, though.

I'm sorry we're losing you, Killer Bees.  Always nice to have a sunny Aussie voice of reason around.  =)  Please do come back!
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »

I don't think there is anyone on the forum who takes more care with their writing than myself. 

BounceGiggle

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »

I don't think there is anyone on the forum who takes more care with their writing than myself. 

BounceGiggle
Why is that funny?  I prefer to use plural rather than a gender.   Wink
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:51:55 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Menard
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 09:00:08 PM »

Why is that funny?  I prefer to use plural rather than a gender.   Wink

Same here. I generally use a plural rather than a presumptive gender.

We think so much alike.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »

...We think so much alike.
There's some truth to that.  I'll point out again, the reason I'm here is 'cause of you suggesting us Scifilmers check this forum out.   Thumbup  But, no karma. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:24:11 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org Forum (not as fun as it used to be?) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.