Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:02:31 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mary Shelly's FRANKENSTEIN « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mary Shelly's FRANKENSTEIN  (Read 7688 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« on: March 06, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »

I watched this in my Horror-lit class recently. Not bad, and deffinatly more acurate to the book that the Karloff movie. The acting was ok, but the thing that I really liked was Robert Deniro as the Monster. And he talked! Not just incoherent groans, but actual diolouge! There were some cheesy lame parts, though. Like how Victor brings the creature to life. Instead of using lightning, he uses a big sack of electric eels!! HA!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 06:46:23 PM »

I liked this one.  I know a lot of people didn't because they tried to compare it to Bram Stoker's Dracula...which I guess they wanted audiences to do (read: why it was green lit in the first place)

It follows the book reasonably well and the acting is good.  De Niro was a weird choice as the Monster but he makes it work.  Some things work while others don't.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
peter johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »

I'm not kidding:  The best of the modern-era Frankenstein flicks is "Frankenstein Unbound" by Roger Corman!
Mary Shelly & her husband & druggy friends (You know, Lord Byron & those degenerates) show up as peripheral characters, Raul Julia is a fascinating Victor Frankenstein, and John Hurt as a time traveler.  Also with Jason Patric and Bridgett Fonda.
Based on a story by Brian Aldiss, it is literate, visually interesting, and compact, as Corman's work usually is.  Plus it has a great monster!
Very few people have seen this one, though.  I guess because of Corman's name on the box, they think it will be unmitigated cheese & give it a pass.  Big mistake.  If you haven't already seen it, I'd say check it out & I definitely like it more than the Branaugh/DeNiro film.
peter frankenstein/denny hurt

I have no idea what this means.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »

Robert made a great Frankenstein monster and the ending just blew me away with how emotionally ravaging it was , very well done. Does anybody else think that the way the monster was made was better than how it's typically portrayed? All the technology and big castles is impressive in its own right but the way it was done here felt like it could really happen in your neighbor's attic.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
moman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:56:54 AM »

i had to watch it in school as well, it was a good movie especially de niro (i didn't actually notice it was him till someone else pointed it out)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:19:12 PM »

I'm not kidding:  The best of the modern-era Frankenstein flicks is "Frankenstein Unbound" by Roger Corman!
Mary Shelly & her husband & druggy friends (You know, Lord Byron & those degenerates) show up as peripheral characters, Raul Julia is a fascinating Victor Frankenstein, and John Hurt as a time traveler.  Also with Jason Patric and Bridgett Fonda.
Based on a story by Brian Aldiss, it is literate, visually interesting, and compact, as Corman's work usually is.  Plus it has a great monster!
Very few people have seen this one, though.  I guess because of Corman's name on the box, they think it will be unmitigated cheese & give it a pass.  Big mistake.  If you haven't already seen it, I'd say check it out & I definitely like it more than the Branaugh/DeNiro film.

Like Corman Frankenstein! Movie good! Urgh!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »

Like Corman Frankenstein! Movie good! Urgh!  Thumbup
Ah-GRUNT... I mean AGREE!!!  The film of FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND is terrific (though it, too, has a couple of ludicrous parts).  BRIAN ALDISS wrote a follow-up novel, DRACULA UNBOUND...
Oh!  As for Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN it's not bad, the part where DeNIRO as the monster takes his revenge always makes me cringe...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:06:05 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »

Small | Large

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:30:15 PM »

History lesson for you...this past tuesday was the anniversary of the original novel's publication. To mark the occasion, I was going to watch one of the versions, but I never got around to it.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:54:34 PM »

History lesson for you...this past tuesday was the anniversary of the original novel's publication. To mark the occasion, I was going to watch one of the versions, but I never got around to it.

Why didn't Google have a Frankie graphic?   Hatred Question  Lookingup

I found MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEING to be totally forgettable.  Matter of fact, I've forgotten everything about it except having seen it.   Lookingup

Definitely interested the Corman version though...sounds cool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
peter johnson

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 02:07:08 PM »

See it!  See it!!
You'll never forget the cobbled-together appearance of Corman's monster:  Eyeballs stiched together from parts of differently colored other eyes -- distorted limbs & a hideous strength that enables it to outrun a horse-drawn carriage!
Plus a rare philosophical depth that true science-fiction writers like Aldiss can infuse their writings with.  Corman, apparently, changed very little of the Aldiss story.  Many people forget that it was Corman who imported Ingmar Bergman's "Cries and Whispers".  The man is capable of deep thought, and capable of respecting it in others.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 10:39:44 AM »

I liked Dinero as the monster because he gave the creature a sensitivity that was featured in Shelly's novel.  Granted there was a decent amount of cheese mixed in that wasn't in the novel.  Still, one of the better adaptations IMHO.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mary Shelly's FRANKENSTEIN « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.