Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:35:32 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Chosen Survivors « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chosen Survivors  (Read 22773 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: March 23, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »

Eleven people find that they are trapped inside a high tech fallout bunker.  Normally, that would be a good (though boring) deal, except the bunker is connected to a cave infested with vampire bats.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:31:29 PM »

Hahahaha. Good stuff Andrew, I especially liked the memorable quote you chose from the film. ;-) I found this movie to be pretty bleak, and I didn't enjoy it all that much.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!

For one thing, Ray Couzins is an unlikeable scumbag, and he of all people, should have been sucked dry! I figured that after (basically) raping Lenore, his death sentence was a certainty. Imagine my dismay when he manages to escape from becoming a critter fritter.

And dang it, apparently if the world goes to hell, the last vestiges of humanity will tear itself apart. Even if survivors of an apocalyptic cataclysm (i.e. nuclear war, meteor smacking into Earth, etc.) were handpicked, their little group would eventually spiral into a microcosmic societal meltdown. It's kind of like a geriatric version of "Lord of the Flies" with a vampire bat twist. lol.

And the ending! Man... the ending blew my mind. It was totally unexpected and it shocked the heck out of me. It also fueled my burning hatred for Couzins.... I still can't believe the bastard survived..... sigh....

Great review though Andrew! It was far more fun than the movie itself. TeddyR

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
K3 inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:07:09 PM »

Why was the review awarded 2 slimes when the choose review list shows this movie with 3 slimes?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:42:50 AM »

Wow...I saw this movie a looooong time ago...had forgotton all abought it.  An obscure,forgotton film.I wonder if yours is the only review on the web? I think it was about 1982.....on a weekend morning...still drunk from the night before...was 1982 26 years ago...? dam. I feel old.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 06:23:24 AM »

Why was the review awarded 2 slimes when the choose review list shows this movie with 3 slimes?

That would just be simple human error (meaning mine).  I am going to be scaling back to probably 2 updates a week, maybe 1 sometimes, because with my current schedule, updating the website 3 times a week is showing obvious signs of not enough quality assurance.

Fixed it now; thank you for catching that.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!

And dang it, apparently if the world goes to hell, the last vestiges of humanity will tear itself apart. Even if survivors of an apocalyptic cataclysm (i.e. nuclear war, meteor smacking into Earth, etc.) were handpicked, their little group would eventually spiral into a microcosmic societal meltdown. It's kind of like a geriatric version of "Lord of the Flies" with a vampire bat twist. lol.

And the ending! Man... the ending blew my mind. It was totally unexpected and it shocked the heck out of me. It also fueled my burning hatred for Couzins.... I still can't believe the bastard survived..... sigh....

I really think that the movie had some very good ideas, but a flawed execution.  What if the nuclear war had been real?  Then the film could have concentrated on the nihilistic aspects of the story.  With some tweaking, it could be a (yes, quite depressing) great film in that respect.

Couzins surviving drove me nuts, but it made sense:  he was always looking at for himself, in a fight or flight mode (with a tendency towards flight).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »

I think this one calls for a remake.  Wink I agree that the idea of the film is interesting Andrew, and you are right: the execution was flawed. If they had gone the nihilistic ("We believe in nussin' Lebowski!") route, then perhaps I'd have fonder recollections of this film. Then again, such and ending would be rendered moot by the previous hour and a half of film.

As for Couzins, I guess I expected him to run away, lock himself in a room, and then get mauled by a giant vampire bat or something; I suppose I was eagerly anticipating a moment similar to the one in "Aliens," when Paul Reiser's character runs away, locks the door behind him, and runs smack dab into a waiting Warrior alien.

What further enraged me about Couzins' survival is the epilogue I thought up: Couzins will get home, call his legions of lawyers, and sue the pants off the government for sticking him in a bat cave for a few weeks. The whole thing would be settled out of court (gotta keep this hush hush from the public ya know) and this sleazebag would end up richer! Then again, to keep things quiet and to avoid blackmail, Uncle Sam could send a lethal assassin to take Couzins out, with extreme prejudice......

Or, in epilogue #2, Couzins could clean up his act, atone for his sins, and become Batman.

So many grand ideas.... I think I'll call someone in Hollywood and pitch this to them.  Wink

-----
The Vault Master
-----
Thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »

Thanks for letting me know about yet another post apoc movie i need to track down.  I've watched 4 this week alone.
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 11:29:12 AM »

It's not really a true post-apocalyptic film; it's more like, "had there actually been a nuclear apocalypse, here's what could have happened to a group of chosen survivors." Personally, I think you'd be better off with something a little more exciting, like "Damnation Alley."

-----
The Vault Master
-----
Sandra
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »

Have you ever seen the Red Green Show?  Its a Canadian comedy show about a man with a duct tape fetish.

Somebody should have told the producers of this turkey that vampire bats are not native to North America.  It was nice that they used real , tiny little vampire bats, about the size of mice.  It was not so nice that they whacked them with pillows. Where was the SPCA?
Katherine
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »

Don't worry about Kristen!?  Some manic is hitting those poor brown bats with a pillow and you think people are going to worry about some bimbo?
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 11:35:07 PM »

Obviously not a lot of thought went into the premise of this movie.  Do most people actually think that vampire bats attack animals that are a hundred times larger than themselves and gruesomely kill their victims in the process?  I mean, you might as well make a movie about killer slugs or murderous bunny rabbits, for crying out loud!   Wink

Also, if the bats are sealed in the cave with the humans ("... the only blood supply available to the flying terrors is the herd of succulent humans huddled in their fallout shelter."), they need only wait a few days for the bats to all starve to death.

Somebody should have told the producers of this turkey that vampire bats are not native to North America.

Ummmm...... vampire bats are indigenous only to the Americas.  EDIT TO ADD:  Of course, the movie takes place in the U.S., which is out of their normal range, so if that's what you meant you are of course correct.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:08:27 AM by GoHawks » Logged

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Chosen Survivors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.