Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:37:27 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  April 2008 DVD Giveaway « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: April 2008 DVD Giveaway  (Read 84072 times)
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »

All I really have to say, is that this is the best forum that I have visited and joined in a long time.  I am not just saying that either.  The people that belong to this forum are the coolest.  I have not met a Negative Nancy yet.  I love the topics that are brought up and the polls.  Not much else to say, just keep up the great work.

Cheers

Later,

John

Yeah, that's what I like to hear!

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Menard
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »

The review could be longer and give a more in depth look at the film. 

Dislikes: People who request longer reviews. TongueOut

Although some of this, if not most, will be redundant, being that you have requested such feedback, and I just love abusing you, why not?

First of all, I would like to commend Andrew on taking a stand, despite the potential ridicule, and staying true to his love for the band Menudo. Despite any number of implications that could be made from that, Andrew is truly a man among men (err...don't go there) and should be applauded by the board members for taking such a stand and being up front with this.

TeddyR

It has been quite a few years since I first came to BadMovies.org. The internet provided quite a diversion in my life at the time: hunting down freeware, downloading pictures (ahem Lookingup), shopping eBay; but, it was always looking for stuff. Stuff, well I found that, but entertaining sites that I would bookmark to return again and again...well, that was something different.

I had been searching for videos to download. Perhaps something entertaining; but, the two drawbacks to this were an old laptop and a slow dial-up connection. Somehow, on some other site, I read sort of a mini review/directory entry about a site that reviewed movies, particularly bad movies, and the webmaster also made downloads available in simple mpeg format that would play on my crappy laptop. The site I found was BadMovies.org.

Being used to the occasional review being added, once every few weeks to few months, there came a dry spell where it seemed like months went by without any update to the site. Knowing that the webmaster was also a Marine and that a war was going on, I was naturally concerned. Looking around for a way to perhaps contact someone, I found the link to the forum.

Despite the lack of activity on the front page, there was a forum blistering with activity. Not only had I come to learn that Andrew had been stationed in Iraq, but I came to meet several of the members of the forum and found a regular place on the internet where I could go, regularly, that had so much to offer.

"Well, what the hell does this have to do with likes and dislikes and feedback and all that good stuff?", some ass may ask.

The keyword for everything that drew me to this site and this forum is 'accessibility'.

I didn't have a whole lot; just an old laptop. Where sites were trying their damndest to make everything load more slowly, and require this plugin or that to use the site. BadMovies.org was a site I could access on any computer, and even on an old HP palmtop using a 17k modem.

That's what drew me to the site. What kept me here was the content. Your reviews, Andrew, were refreshing, and you even made me laugh in dark times.

[If your head starts to swell, I'm gonna pop it with a pin] TongueOut

The forum provided a place where I not only met and talked to others who were drawn here like me, but was also a place where I could share some of my own reviews and...uh...torture others.

What has changed?

For the good is the frequency of updates and new stuff you are trying to do with the site.

Unfortunately, accessibilty has changed as well. With the adds and some of the scripts, though accessible from a slow connection, it becomes a really slow connection. I have also noticed that when using IE 5.5* I cannot post and get a timeout error on the forum. I have to use FireFox and I don't have an ad blocker plugin at this time.

Though that may seem like a complaint, it is not. You need to pay the rent and sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Perhaps to overcome some accessibility sacrifices, you might have a link to a page where you can recommend browsers and plugins that will work best with the site and forum.

*I am using 5.5 because this is an older computer that was a backup. My regular computer was taken out during a lightning storm.

The forum has gone through changes, though this has been largely in appearance and using a different script. Many of the old (I do mean old TongueOut) members are still here. Many new members have come along and contributed as much if not even more than any other member of this forum. There are occasional squabbles, even outright fights (I wonder who the hell would be an ass enough to do that Lookingup), but that comes with open conversation, and it is not a negative but a positive that it can happen.

[WTF?]

Other forums have anywhere from basic restrictions to outright ridiculous hoops for someone to have to jump through just to become a member and post. You have always maintained an open door policy where anyone is allowed, and anyone is allowed to say what they please. It may lead to squabbles on occasion, but that can happen anywhere. We usually work it out, and some of us may actually get along better afterwards. The important thing is the freedom for it to happen; that has not changed and, as I have said before, I dare anyone to find what we have here on another forum anywhere.

Yes, Andrew, there is a Santa Claus...

...er...out-of-forum experience there

Perhaps some things have changed in the basic mechanics of the site and forum; but the spirit is still there.

What!?!

You want actual recommendations?

Jarhead! TongueOut

Okay...

For the forum, as I have mentioned before: Go back to the old forum search (you know, the one where you could actually find stuff); and get rid of the karma system (you know, the system that pussies use when they are too afraid to tell you something directly).

Frankly, I don't know whether the search or the karma, one way or the other would make much of a difference. I think the search is more important than the karma, for now, as you can't find a damn thing with the Google search. Being able to search and find something may be a benefit to guests and members who want to see what is there or search out an old thread. Any benefit is a bonus and a potential increase to board activity.

Of course, just my opinions; but, as always, I'm right. TongueOut

*EDIT: Okay...I don't think that a visual image confirmation, especially for someone as anti-bigot as me, which uses the letters R U KKK is very funny.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:12 PM »

The reviews are awesome and often quite funny. The forum to me is a place I actually feel comfortable posting at every chance I get which I cannot say for every forum, as I've posted at others that just didn't seem to click or work for me personally, but this site's forum is the forum I'm most comfortable at now that scifilm's is no longer around. Great posters, great knowledge but best of all a sense of fun are key elements around here.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
316zombie
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »

interactive movie scripts!that's my fave!i don't think there's anything i dislike about this site Smile
Susan
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »

I like green.
I like bad movies. Reading badmovie reviews and talking about movies.
The forum is great, no matter how many years go by I can always drop in and find the same familiar faces. Kinda like "Cheers" - where everybody knows your name and they'r always glad you came. Well, mostly anyhow.
I also like contests and giveaways. I think THAT is something fun that should be more frequent. (maybe by judging one of the caption threads)

What I wish we had here was a chat room in combination with the message boards. So if you see someone online you could drop in the chat room for live chat - or there could be scheduled badmovie parties in the room. Back in the compuserve days we had a forum with message boards and chat rooms - I think here one chat room would suffice if that was at all possible...tho i don't know how feasable that would be for you to set up.

The audio podcasts are cool - ever thought of using a video editing program to combine the audio with images and video clips?  Twirling

ps why do you have to give away such a COOL movie i already own on dvd? :-((
Mayo
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 02:59:51 AM »

I like the reviews..  Thumbup

and about the don't likes, the look and feel canbe improved, or is it trying to make it to badlydesignedsites.com? I have to adjust the window size all the time. You may save space by changing the font to Arial and adjust the size of the tables.
Thanks !
Menard
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »

and about the don't likes, the look and feel canbe improved, or is it trying to make it to badlydesignedsites.com? I have to adjust the window size all the time. You may save space by changing the font to Arial and adjust the size of the tables.
Thanks !

Oh, seriously.

I've never had a problem with the window width when viewing this site.

You know...Internet Explorer has been updated since version 3.

Do you actually know anything of which you are jacking about?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »

Thanks !

Oh, seriously.

I've never had a problem with the window width when viewing this site.

You know...Internet Explorer has been updated since version 3.

Do you actually know anything of which you are jacking about?

Those are Mayo's talking points.  Perhaps for him, the width does not work well.  I tried to design it so that anyone viewing at 800*600 would only lose the right sidebar, but there are so many different browsers, screens, and such that perhaps it still crops the right side of the screen.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »

The review could be longer and give a more in depth look at the film. 

Dislikes: People who request longer reviews. TongueOut

I thought this was too funny.   Cheers Twirling Cheers Twirling Thumbup

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 05:46:11 AM »

BadMovies -goood...!  Cheers

Fire....Baaaadd!  Hatred Aughhg!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
peter johnson

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »

Eh, frankly I get upset every time a change is made -- "Why does he fix things that ain't broke?!?!" -- Then, 3 or 4 months later, I can't remember what the old thing was/what it looked like, or what made me so upset in the first place.
I'm sure if the green is dropped & replaced by white again, I'd be shocked and horrified all over again.
No, I think that all the changes have been for the better -- I do find it hard to remember to drop in on other boards & sometimes miss the days of free-for-all when TV, books, girlfriends, etc. were all slamming around in the same Forum, but I understand some demarcation is helpful.
I wish more actual film makers & actors would post on the professionals board -- I like to hear about what others are up to, project-wise, but obviously this is nothing you can control.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
HedonismBot
New Visitor

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 10:16:50 AM »

The only change I'd like to see made to badmovies.org is the ability to sort movies.

At the moment we are stuck with only viewing them alphabeticely. It would be cool if we could chose to sort by: Genre, Year ,Studio, etc.

When I say sort by genre I don't just mean  horror, drama, sction etc. as about 90% of the films on here would fall under horror (or sci-fi) instead genres could be divided into categories such as: Slasher, Monster, Zombie, Exploitation, Sci-fi etc.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »

The only change I'd like to see made to badmovies.org is the ability to sort movies.

At the moment we are stuck with only viewing them alphabeticely. It would be cool if we could chose to sort by: Genre, Year ,Studio, etc.

When I say sort by genre I don't just mean  horror, drama, sction etc. as about 90% of the films on here would fall under horror (or sci-fi) instead genres could be divided into categories such as: Slasher, Monster, Zombie, Exploitation, Sci-fi etc.

I, too, would like to be able to sort the reviews other than Alphabetically.

Sorting by Genre, in my opinion, would not be a viable option though because so many films fall into so many different categories (including subcategories).  I also don't see a need to sort by Studio; sorting by Director or Producer would make (minimally) more sense but would still be more trouble than it's worth.

What I would like to sort by is Year (of the movie's release), the Rating and possibly by Date (of review).

Even if you can't or don't want to add the sort functionality, I think at least adding the year the movie was released after the movie's name would be a huge improvement in usability.  You could simply place the year in parenthesis after the name as you did to differentiate the two "Blob" movies.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 01:40:46 AM »

Over all I like the site, no real gripes, black snake moans, groans or whines.

If I was to add on thing to the sight in the review section I'd add, "If you like this movie ... then you have to see this one." A related movie thingamajig kind like Amazon and IMDB has but theirs is done with a bot so the relationships between the movies is at times questionable.

I've have found some real jewels by checking out related movies.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »

I was first attracted to this site because of the humorous reviews.
At the time, way back in the year 2000, I could surf the internet at the job I was working at and during slow times, I would always come here to read reviews.
Like Cheeze said, I too have found some really good/bad movies here that I probably never would have heard of otherwise.

The forum is an added bonus.
The people here are great and much more mature (well, most of the time) and tolerant than any other forum I have ever visited.

And the opportunity of having your reviews posted in the Reader Review section is cool too.
Andrew has been kind enough to post one of my movie reviews and my interview with George Hardy (Troll 2) in the Interviews section.

All those things together make this site kick ass!

(and I want that Death Proof DVD!   TongueOut)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:25:59 AM by Ash » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  April 2008 DVD Giveaway « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.