Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:51:18 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Empire's 50 Greatest TV Shows of all time « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Empire's 50 Greatest TV Shows of all time  (Read 6534 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: April 02, 2008, 07:26:05 AM »

They've got some great ones on there alright.  My favorite Trek series and some of my fave British comedies.

http://www.empireonline.com/50greatesttv/default.asp?tv=50

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:16 AM »

Great list Trek!  Thanks for sharing it.

Glad to see they had Deadwood on there.  (I love that show!)
To quote...
"The word f**k and its derivatives are used 2,980 times throughout the show's three seasons."

Yep.  That sounds about right.   Wink
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:48:07 PM »

Not half bad attempt for one of these modern day lists although it's way too focused on stuff from the last 10 years while completing ignoring way too many classics like All in the Family, Three's Company, M.A.S.H., Dallas and so much more it's ridiculous. Having Buffy at # 2 I find the most shocking as I thought that series was utter tripe.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Hammock Rider

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »

I don't know about this list. I don't think there's a show from pre-1980 listed here. Where's The Honeymooners and Wild Wild West to name a few.? And they rank Friends higher than Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm!?  I think the writers skewed a bit young. But they did get the Simpson's right.  The best reason for generating these types of lists is that they often spur good conversation.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »

I'm with JaseSF.  When I got to #49 and saw it was Prison Break I did a double take on the article title and, nope, sorry, that just does NOT rate in the top 50 series of "All Time" in my book.  Sorry.

Then again if you ask 50 different people to compile a list like this you'd probably get 50 unique lists.  I know mine would probably be padded out with sci-fi series and, much as I enjoyed Quantum Leap, I'm not sure it'd make the Top 50 either, then again Veronica Mars (who?) wouldn't make my list at all.  Though it was nice to see DS9 and ST:TOS in the list.  But Farscape should have placed higher, MUCH higher!

Cheers

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:31:16 PM »

Hmm you make a good point about everyone's list being different. Hmm you've inspired me to start yet another list thread. lol.  TeddyR

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »

Any type of list where you are asked to list the #X greatest/worst what ever of all time, everyone's list will be slightly different.  While there may be parts that are similar on someones list to another's list (item, # on the list, etc), but no two will be the same.

It does seem like they tried to stick with 90's and later shows.  Though a few were shows from the 70's and 80's, they were few and far between.  It would have been nice to see some older shows on there.

I disagree with Arrested Development being on the list.  I watched the show before but I just didn't find it funny or even enjoyable to watch.

Friends shouldn't have been on the list either.  That was like one of the worst shows out there.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »

I have to admit that I didn't bother to look at every single entry.  Call me lazy but I just didn't feel like clicking through 50 pages.  Oy!  But now that you mention FRIENDS made the list I have to ask. . .

WTF is a sitcom doing on a list about the "TOP SERIES OF ALL TIME"?

That really should be a seperate list.  Did I LOVE LUCY make the list?  Why not?  Speaking of comedy sketch shows what about that spin-off of THE CAROL BURNET SHOW, MAMA'S FAMILY?  These were iconic sitcoms that should be in any TOP 50 list.  But NOT a top list of series of all time.

Did N.Y.P.D BLUE make the list?  Any of the myriad of C.S.I. shows?  What about CAGNEY AND LACEY?  I never really watched that but it was very popular in it's day, as was HILL ST. BLUE.  And, of course, CAR 54 gets an honorable mention.  But it was a sitcom.

Well that just turned into a pointless rant didn't it?

I Lookingup at myself!

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 11:07:55 PM »

Well, if this list is any kind of indication, it appears they've only been getting "television" for ten years now in England.  Wait'll they get cable there!

It's ironic as I consider Empire to be leagues beyond any American rag when it comes to film appreciation. 

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Empire's 50 Greatest TV Shows of all time « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.