Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:56:15 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Straight Razor « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Straight Razor  (Read 4483 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: April 02, 2008, 08:31:31 AM »

I was looking at straight razors online recently and was thinking of buying one.
Not for use as a weapon, but to shave with.

I've heard that they can be quite dangerous to shave with in unskilled hands.
Supposedly, it's very easy to cut yourself with one.

Straight razors have also made plenty of appearences in movies.
Such as in this scene from The Matrix Reloaded:
Small | Large

Or the scene in The Color Purple when Whoopie Goldberg's character has to shave Danny Glover's character with a straight razor and he says to her, "You cut me & I'll kill ya."

What about you?
Have you ever used a straight razor and/or do you own one now?
Know of any other movies where a straight razor is used as either a weapon or to shave with?
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »

I go to a barber shop sometimes where they still trim around your ears with one and will give you a shave with one if desired.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:44:37 AM »

I go to a barber shop sometimes where they still trim around your ears with one and will give you a shave with one if desired.

I've heard that it's illegal in some states for barbers to use straight razors. 
Not sure if that's a rumor or fact.
Have any of you heard that too?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:39:07 AM »

Ash, you've reminded me of a short I saw many years ago: I think it was called "Just Lather" where a rebellion leader who has massacred most of a town's inhabitants comes to the barber for a shave and haircut.

The barber has him at his mercy: one flick of the straight razor and the troubles are over. The leader gets his shave and haircut and walks out: the barber says to himself, "All I want on my hands is lather. Nothing else."

I googled it: the film is called "Just Lather, That's All"  Smile

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:43:00 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »

I remember an old episode of The Saint where Roger Moore shaves with a straight razor.  One whisk up the right side, one up the left, he's pretty much done.  Not sure if it was completely realistic  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »

I've used a straight razor before but not on my face.  It was a challenge but I enjoyed it though when I tried it.  My mom is a barber and she is extremely skilled with a straight razor.  I haven't had my face shaved with a straight razor yet, so I couldn't say how it feels.  I usually get my neck shaved when I get my hair cut and I enjoy that since it feels so good.

If you know someone who is a barber or is skilled with straight razor I would ask them if they can teach you how to use it.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »

Ash, you've reminded me of a short I saw many years ago: I think it was called "Just Lather" where a rebellion leader who has massacred most of a town's inhabitants comes to the barber for a shave and haircut.

The barber has him at his mercy: one flick of the straight razor and the troubles are over. The leader gets his shave and haircut and walks out: the barber says to himself, "All I want on my hands is lather. Nothing else."

I googled it: the film is called "Just Lather, That's All"  Smile

I've never seen the film, but have read the short story.

Ash, straight razors take some practice.  I've used one before and you will cut yourself.  I don't use one anymore.  The skill is keeping the blade at the right angles and the right pressures as you move around. 

The reason everybody uses disposable razors is that the blades are kept at the correct angles.  You really don't have to pay as much attention.  Just put the safety razor on your face, press a little, and go.

You will also need to learn how to sharpen, and how to strop a blade.  That is also an art.  If you get a straight razor, put a convex edge on it.  It will stay sharp a little longer and a convex edge should make it a tiny bit harder to cut yourself.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »

I have always wanted to use one, but I'm scared.  Shaving before I have had my full compliment of coffee is dangerous enough.  I always use a blade though, I hate the type of shave you get from an electric.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »

I'm an alki. Me ...shaving with a straight razor? Not a good idea.

As far as movies...the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE....when they pick up Hitch...?

"I GOT THIS KNIFE! It's a good knife...!"

The very second that creepy inbred pulled a razor...I'd be stopping the van, and grabbin' a tire iron.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »

I bought one, but I've never had the nerve to actually use it. I don't think it's sharp enough for one, and I don't have the skill to sharpen and strop it. Like some others, I've seen them used in baber shops, but the one I used to go to around here used a modified version: The handle looked like a straight razor, but the "blade" was a holder for a regular razor blade. They said it was for sanitary reasons that they switched to that style, which makes some sense. I have no idea where they found them, though.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 12:23:07 AM »

When I was a young man and curiosity got the better of me I had the barber I'd been going to since I was a boy give me a haircut and a shave, he used a straight razor, while I was nervous while he was doing it I must say it was the closest cleanest shave I've ever had. I wouldn't care to try it on myself though.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
JJ80
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »

The only time I've sen one of these was in a barbers shop in 2002. An older barber used one to shave the back of my neck. They seem to have completely vanished otherwise.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Straight Razor « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.