Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:10 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Feel good films, yeh yeh... HOW ABOUT FEEL BAD MOVIES?? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Feel good films, yeh yeh... HOW ABOUT FEEL BAD MOVIES??  (Read 26144 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 07:49:55 PM »

Old Boy, I felt odd after watching that film.

Christmas Shoes, the one about the woman who needs a transplant but unfortunate things happen near the end.  Its all too depressing to take in and its Xmas dammit. 

Event Horizon

and the ultimate winner...

Pet Semetary-there isn't an ounce of joy in that movie/book

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 04:24:15 AM »

Ah, The Girl Next Door.

In my discussion of the books I had read last year, that novel I described as the most soul-crushing. After reading the book by Jack Ketchum (which I read all in one go), I was absolutely devastated. Like my original reaction to Requiem for a Dream, I felt like somebody had kicked me in the stomach. If you really want to hurt yourself, read the book; I don't think the movie did it justice, as some of the acting left a lot to be desired.

The worst part is that it was based on a true story. The author actually toned it down, and the movie was even more toned down than the book.

My vote goes to The Sweet Hereafter, which is about a small Canadian town dealing with the death of all of their children in a tragic accident where the local school bus crashes into a lake, killing all of the children within. It is an amazing movie, but you don't even have the luxury of a villain to root against. It is the saddest movie I've ever seen. Ian Holm hits notes that I can only compare to actual deaths in my own life. I don't think I'll ever want to watch this movie with another person, the pain is that immediate.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 02:22:17 AM »

THIS is a true feel-bad movie.

RC, if you're reading, the kick at 2:08 is just for you.  =)

Small | Large

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:26:53 AM by Zapranoth » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »

It's a great movie, but I would never suggest showing "Grave of the Fireflies" to a woman whose emotions are already a rollercoaster due to pregnancy hormones.  My wife cried quite a bit after seeing that film with me.

As for films that make you feel dirty, along with being painful, I can name a few that are on my short list:

Candy
Pink Flamingos
Nail Gun Massacre
The Lonely Lady

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »

It's a great movie, but I would never suggest showing "Grave of the Fireflies" to a woman whose emotions are already a rollercoaster due to pregnancy hormones.  My wife cried quite a bit after seeing that film with me.

I agree with you on that.  It's an excellent film and I nearly cried a little bit myself considering I haven't cried in a long time. 

I also agree with you about showing it to a female who is on an emotional roller coaster due to pregnancy hormones. 
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

Actually, I feel "good," more than I feel "bad," but feeling "good" seems to be a cumulative effect without any defining moment, and thus cannot be identified with any particular part of the film, while feeling "bad" seems to have a defining moment, and it is definitive and can be indentified. Then there are those films that make me feel both "good" and "bad," but we won't get into those.

Thus, here are fifteen films that make me feel "bad."

"Lair of the White Worm"
For the boy scout, of course. But what a way to go. Also . . .

"The Adventures of Mark Twain"
Mark Twain (Frederic March) has two choices. Either he can bankrupt himself by publishing Grant's autobiography, so the dieing man's family can be financially secure after the man dies, or he can avoid bankruptcy by not publishing Grant's autobiography. Twain choses the first option.

"The Champ" (1979)
Billy's (Jon Voight's) death after he has won the boxing match.

"Frieda"
The attempted suicide of the German woman (Mai Zetterling), who has come to England, after marrying an RAF officer, and after she has been rejected by the man's family and friends, solely on the basis that she is German, and they are not.

"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids"
The death of the ant, while battling the scorpion in a successful attempt to protect the four children in the film from the scorpion.

"Kentucky"
Peter Goodwin's (Walter Brennan's) death, just after he has learned that his horse has unexpectedly won the greatest of all horse races, the Kentucky Derby.

"Lady and the Tramp"
Trusty's presumed death, when the causes the dog catcher's wagon to crash, in an attempt to prevent the dogcatcher from taking Tramp to the dog pound, which would mean Tramp's death in the gas chamber.

"Lady Jane"
Lady Jane Grey's (Helena Bonham Carter's) death by headsman's axe for treason. She was only sixteen.

"Mighty Joe Young" (1949)
Joe's presumed death while rescuing a little girl from an orphanage fire.

"Old Yeller"
Old Yeller having to be shot by Travis Coates (Tommy Kirk), because the dog is rabid. Having caught rabies from a rabid wolf, while saving Travis from the wolf.

"The Ox-Bow Incident"
The old black man singing "The Lonesome Valley" "You got to walk that lonesome valley . . ." As the sheriff's posse illegally lynch Donald Martin (Dana Andrews), Juan Martinez (Anthony Quinn), and Halva Harvey (Francis Ford) for presumed cattle rustling and murder.

"Pinocchio"
Pinocchio's presumed death, after he has saved Geppeto, Figaro, and Cleo and  Jiminey Cricket from Monstro the Whale.

"Spawn of the North"
In a battle between Jim Kimerlee (Henry Fonda) and Red Skain (Akim Tamiroff), Tyler Dawson (George Raft) kills both himself and Red by ramming their boat into an Alaskan glacier and saving Jim's life.

"Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight"
Deputy Bob (Gary Farmer) and Irene (CCH Pounder) blowing themselves up with dynamite and the demons along with them. "See ya in hell!"--"Yeah!"

5 Came Back
After everybody who could, have left in the plane, there are still three people left on the ground. And the natives are coming. And these are natives you do not want to meet, as their preferred form of entertainment is inflicting various forms of physical torture on outsiders. So, the political prisoner (Joseph Calleia) says his pistol has three bullets in it. He uses one to kill the professor's wife (Elisabeth Risdon.) He uses one to kill the professor (C. Aubrey Smith.) But the man lied. His pistol only had two bullets in it. So . . .

While these are all some of my favorite films, but except for the first one, you'd have thought I was a waterworks. The tears were just pouring down my cheeks after these moments. I felt so "bad."

"Greater love has no man, then this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »

Actually, I feel "good," more than I feel "bad," but feeling "good" seems to be a cumulative effect without any defining moment, and thus cannot be identified with any particular part of the film, while feeling "bad" seems to have a defining moment, and it is definitive and can be indentified. Then there are those films that make me feel both "good" and "bad," but we won't get into those.
I'm talking about "feel bad" movies, not movies that make you feel both, or that are intended to make you feel good at the very end.  Okay, I have issue with a few of your selections, but also heartily agree with others. 

Thus, here are fifteen films that make me feel "bad."
"Lair of the White Worm"
For the boy scout, of course. But what a way to go. Also . . .
yes

"The Adventures of Mark Twain"
Mark Twain (Frederic March) has two choices. Either he can bankrupt himself by publishing Grant's autobiography, so the dieing man's family can be financially secure after the man dies, or he can avoid bankruptcy by not publishing Grant's autobiography. Twain choses the first option.
Yeh, that FREDERIC MARCH pic is sad, but I don't feel bad (afterall, it whitewashed TWAIN's life and didn't show how horrible his personal suffering really was and had that dreamy Hollywood ending... love that movie, sad as it is...)

"The Champ" (1979) Billy's (Jon Voight's) death after he has won the boxing match.
yes
"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids"
The death of the ant, while battling the scorpion in a successful attempt to protect the four children in the film from the scorpion.
"Kentucky"
Peter Goodwin's (Walter Brennan's) death, just after he has learned that his horse has unexpectedly won the greatest of all horse races, the Kentucky Derby.
"Lady and the Tramp"
Trusty's presumed death, when the causes the dog catcher's wagon to crash, in an attempt to prevent the dogcatcher from taking Tramp to the dog pound, which would mean Tramp's death in the gas chamber.
"Lady Jane"
Lady Jane Grey's (Helena Bonham Carter's) death by headsman's axe for treason. She was only sixteen.
"Mighty Joe Young" (1949)
Joe's presumed death while rescuing a little girl from an orphanage fire.
"Old Yeller"
Old Yeller having to be shot by Travis Coates (Tommy Kirk), because the dog is rabid. Having caught rabies from a rabid wolf, while saving Travis from the wolf.
no 

"The Ox-Bow Incident"The old black man singing "The Lonesome Valley" "You got to walk that lonesome valley . . ." As the sheriff's posse illegally lynch Donald Martin (Dana Andrews), Juan Martinez (Anthony Quinn), and Halva Harvey (Francis Ford) for presumed cattle rustling and murder.
Your mentioning this film is the prime mover of this lengthy response to your post.  How could I have overlooked this film?  (Reminds me of at least one other, completely unrelated).   Hard film to sit through a second time, one of the rarest of films in that it ranks as a must-see, but without doubt also a FEEL BAD MOVIE !!!  Thumbup 

"Pinocchio" Pinocchio's presumed death, after he has saved Geppeto, Figaro, and Cleo and  Jiminey Cricket from Monstro the Whale.
***SPOILER*** I'll have to think about that and look at this film, that I love, once again.  It's probably been 20 years since I've looked at it, but I do remember being stunned by the terror this animation can evoke, plus the weird-feeling ending when PINOCCHIO becomes "a real boy !!" 

Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »

Not as much a BAD feeling, but rather a SCARED feeling is what I get at the end of A Clockwork Orange: It's kind of a "What the hell have they done, and why would any forgiving God allow such a person to be inflicted upon humanity" kind of feeling.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:59 PM »

"The Champ" (1979)
Billy's (Jon Voight's) death after he has won the boxing match.

I always thought was full of sad, sad scenes.
First, we learn this guy's so low, that he steals his kid's piggy bank.
Then the horse gets injured.

It was the scene where he discretely throws out the teddy bear that always got to me.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 05:12:57 AM »

I was just recommending this film to someone: Requiem For A Dream.  Fantastic, well made film but it's one that makes you want to commit suicide after watching.

Dude, every post by you is the damn truth. If I could give more Karma, I would. BounceGiggle

I feel pretty bad at the end of the original Wicker Man. Also in Silent Hill, it's quite sad that after Rose has been so brave and smart and strong and even makes it home, her and her daughter appear to be trapped in a different reality to her husband, and neither of them know it...
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »

Who killed the Electric Car, An Inconvenitent Truth, movies like that are REALLY feel bad movies.  Because after they are over, you still have the feeling that life on this planet is just so screwed up nothing will get us back on track. 

More in the fiction realms The Mist was a pretty depressing movie.

The SAW movies are real feel bad movies  The first one made me feel bad because it was really the first torture movie I saw.   The second one made me feel bad becasue I was begining to realize that Jigsaw's motives for doing this to people were razor thin.  So there was no real justafiable reason for most of those people to go through what they were put through.  I wanted to jump into the movie and shout "YOU'RE WRONG!" at him so many time.  The third one made me feel bad because I paid money to see it.   

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:49:51 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
voltron

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »

I found Deathdream to be a really sad movie, especially the end. When I first saw it on tv late one night, I could've sworn the last line (as said by Andy's mom) was "most boys don't come home". WOW. But after watching it again recently the line was not there. Am I dreaming this or what?

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 01:05:58 PM »

I found Deathdream to be a really sad movie, especially the end. When I first saw it on tv late one night, I could've sworn the last line (as said by Andy's mom) was "most boys don't come home". WOW. But after watching it again recently the line was not there. Am I dreaming this or what?
DEATHDREAM, being a Horror film, can get away with feeling "bad" (or "sad" as you put it, but Andy was so creepy, I didn't feel too sorry for him by the end of the film.)  One of my favorite '70s Horror films, I just put the DVD on to rewatch the ending, and there is no line at the end "Most boys don't come home..."    Still a good selection of a watchable film that also feels "bad."    Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

I was just recommending this film to someone: Requiem For A Dream.  Fantastic, well made film but it's one that makes you want to commit suicide after watching.

I bought this on dvd with a kind of reverence, but didn't break the plastic for YEARS, knowing what I was in for. Wife put it on the other day at semi-random and couldn't understand why I felt compelled to hug her when it was over.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 04:26:47 PM »

I recently rented the 'most complete to date' Last House on the Left.

I may actually try to listen to the commentary, because the most "warped" thing about this movie is its time warp. Truly, it is more painfully dated than it is painfully explicit, and I'm shocked that it hasn't been given the treatment here.

One of the killers wears sandles with socks.

Seriously.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Feel good films, yeh yeh... HOW ABOUT FEEL BAD MOVIES?? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.