Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:59 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive?  (Read 21815 times)
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »

I can't recall anything that I believe in that people hate, but I hate those overly religious people that take something that's meant to be purely entertaining and exxagerate the one aspect that they can protest.  For instance people said that Harry Potter promoted witchcraft.  If you have ever read the books then you know that the magic in it is not satanistic witchcraft magic; but fun, happy, Santa kind of magic.
  Also, I hate people who force their beliefs on other people.  Like vegetarians who act like non-vegitarians are monsters.  Or christians who keep trying to convert non-christians, a pamphlet is fine, but don't go to people's homes and talk to them.  Also, atheists who act like anybody who believes in anything religious is an idiot.  If you don't believe in God fine.  Just don't be condecending because you think that when you die you just fall forgotten into oblivion.
  Finally, people who act like only white people can be racist.  Or that all white people are racist.  If you don't think that white people can/are offended by terms like cracker, honckey, etc. when not used from a comedic standpoint, you are an idiot.  And if you think that just because a person is white they hate everyone else, you are an idiot.

In fact, I believe in being offended by these things, and some people are offended by that.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Menard
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »

You are vegetarian for moral or health reasons?  I for one admire vegetarians, though fond of spring lamb.  How do you feel about liver with fava beans and a nice chianti?

More for moral reasons, if you want to call it that. I was the kid whose father and family hunted, but could not bring myself to take the life of an animal. I guess I was about 21 when I decided to become a vegetarian; more, I just decided not to eat meat, as the term vegetarian is just an easier way to say it than explain it.

As for the Hannibal diet, I have told this joke on here before, and it originated from me having to defend myself, verbally, about being a vegetarian:

I considered cannibalism before I became a vegetarian.
According to cannibals, the palm of the hand is the most delicious part of the human body.
I would, however, absolutely draw the line at anyone who has been to a palm reader.

(Usually followed by a confused look and the question 'why?')

Because I don't like read meat. (say it aloud) TeddyR 

I have been described as an "atheist" more than once, but I think the term "atheist," literally is "against god-religion," and I'm not.  The term is hardly accurate to describe me, particularly as any kind of proselytizer.  I do challenge belief systems but only to determine mettle.   Thumbup  Oh-oh-oh.  Oh!  No karma.

You are correct on the literal translation ('a', however, can simply denote being a polar opposite rather than literally 'against'), though most people take it to mean someone who does not believe in god, so it, like vegetarian, becomes an easy way to say it without having to explain it.

I have generally considered myself more of an agnostic (and talk about a term with various meanings), but have leaned more toward atheism, in basic tenets, in the past few years; so I accept the label.

I am not an atheist ignorant of the church. I was a minister in what I call a previous lifetime; eh, about 23-24 years ago.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »

If you don't think that white people can/are offended by terms like cracker, honckey, etc. when not used from a comedic standpoint, you are an idiot. 

The funny thing about the term "cracker" is that so few people actually understand the origin of the term. If you ask people what it refers to, probably 9 out of 10 will say that it's a reference to white people being white like a saltine or something. Ironically enough, it's actually a short version of "whip cracker", of course referring to the guys who beat the slaves. Ironic that a term everyone thinks is a derogatory joke aimed at white people is really a reference to someone in charge. I was always fond of the term "Wonder Bread" myself.  TongueOut

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Menard
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »

I can't recall anything that I believe in that people hate, but I hate those overly religious people that take something that's meant to be purely entertaining and exxagerate the one aspect that they can protest.  For instance people said that Harry Potter promoted witchcraft.  If you have ever read the books then you know that the magic in it is not satanistic witchcraft magic; but fun, happy, Santa kind of magic.
  Also, I hate people who force their beliefs on other people.  Like vegetarians who act like non-vegitarians are monsters.  Or christians who keep trying to convert non-christians, a pamphlet is fine, but don't go to people's homes and talk to them.  Also, atheists who act like anybody who believes in anything religious is an idiot.  If you don't believe in God fine.  Just don't be condecending because you think that when you die you just fall forgotten into oblivion.
  Finally, people who act like only white people can be racist.  Or that all white people are racist.  If you don't think that white people can/are offended by terms like cracker, honckey, etc. when not used from a comedic standpoint, you are an idiot.  And if you think that just because a person is white they hate everyone else, you are an idiot.

In fact, I believe in being offended by these things, and some people are offended by that.

Add one or two more there and you pretty much have about every special interest group covered.

So? What's your complaint?

Oh, it must be so horrible for a white person to be called 'cracker'.

And, what other social barriers exist for whites?

Yes, anybody can be racist. It's pretty shallow for a member of a socially privileged race to whine about it.
Menard
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »

I was always fond of the term "Wonder Bread" myself.  TongueOut

That's the only, that I can recall anyway, damn time I have wanted to give you karma.

Too bad I can't. TongueOut
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »

That's the only, that I can recall anyway, damn time I have wanted to give you karma.

You could...(insert old Cheech and Chong routine voices) if you just signz zee paper,old man....!   TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »

You are correct on the literal translation ('a', however, can simply denote being a polar opposite rather than literally 'against')...
English can be so much fun, in using the word "against" one must also think as opposite, or even, leaning against, as the other half of a vault, an opposing and equal force...  Smile
BELA:  Why sign zee papier when one has no faith??

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menard
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 11:48:28 PM »

TeddyR
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 12:15:37 AM »

... Buggedout

Okay, that clinches it: Who's really been posting under the guise of Menard? That, or someone needs to start imposing a three drink maximum around here... TongueOut

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 12:25:08 AM »

TeddyR
Okay, that clinches it: Who's really been posting under the guise of Menard? That, or someone needs to start imposing a three drink maximum around here...
  BounceGiggle  Thumbup 
If I was to sign zee papier... it would read "Catholic" a term I embrace not just because of its lower-case meaning, my schooling and culture, but they're also my tribe.  (Religion can be very handy... like at funerals, it gives you something to talk about.)  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:33:42 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Menard
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »

... Buggedout

Okay, that clinches it: Who's really been posting under the guise of Menard? That, or someone needs to start imposing a three drink maximum around here... TongueOut

TeddyR
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »

AnubisVonMojo you get my karma, Menard get no karma.  He get nun. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 12:35:15 AM »

Actually, I was refering to why don't Menard sign back in to BAD MOVIES. I mean-your back,man! I for one,am happy to see you back...you've been a member much longer than I. Cripes...Iv'e even kinda learned how to type and communicate!  But you haven't 'signed zee papers" as far as ahhhh...I gotta get some sleep....nite all!!!  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Menard
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »

No thanks; I've already kicked the habit. BounceGiggle
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 12:39:28 AM »

No thanks; I've already kicked the habit. BounceGiggle
BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle
Still no karma.  You get nun.  Yer pick:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.