Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:09 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive?  (Read 21808 times)
Menard
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »

Still no karma.  You get nun.  Yer pick:

It's truly scary that you have an inexhaustible resource of nun pictures. Buggedout
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 12:58:42 AM »

You get NUN !!!  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 01:04:56 AM »

Wow, I haven't seen a Warrior Nun Areala piece since the '90s. Thanks for the four color nostalgia Hal!  Thumbup

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
BTM

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 02:08:03 AM »

I like Bill O'Reilly, and a lot of people seem to hate me for that.  I don't AGREE with everything the guy says, but I always like hearing his perspective on things.

But you just MENTION his name to some people and it's like you just told them you like raping puppies or something.

I also used to like watching Fox News, but I don't have cable, so I don't watch it anymore.  I try to get news from a variety of sources and different perspective, figure somewhere along the way I MIGHT find a grain of truth from somewhere or another...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 08:36:16 AM »

zap-  rc is correct.  I was kidding.

also fyi thee "fie" probably misspelled, comes from this tap of Judy Garland that the Stern show once played.  Some poor sap had to write her biography and she provided him with tapes of her memoirs.  She appeared to be  high on pills, as usual, and progressively drunker as the tape goes on.  She's entirely bitter and though she accomplished much in her long career, appeared to have no have no good memories from it or of anything.

Also,  besides the plainly obvious, I am bearish on the american dollar and the stock market, which some people mistakenly interpret as anti american.  this can be explained thusly:

1. the federal reserve continually inflates the dollar.  that means they print more money making the other dollars worth less and less.  it's essentially a way to tax people without them knwoing it.  even in the bank, your money isn't safe.

2.   from today to 10 years ago the dow jones hasn't gone up.  at all.  it was at 12 someting then and it still is.  so unless you bought low and sold high 24 hours a day or had a fancy broker, you couldn't make money. 

so, invsting internationally or in oher currencies isn't anti american.  it's a protest against certain policies of the central banks.  it's like, call me when you get a government that respects it's constitution and believes in giving it's people sound money.
Menard
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »

Finally, people who act like only white people can be racist.  Or that all white people are racist.  If you don't think that white people can/are offended by terms like cracker, honckey, etc. when not used from a comedic standpoint, you are an idiot.  And if you think that just because a person is white they hate everyone else, you are an idiot.

So? What's your complaint?

Oh, it must be so horrible for a white person to be called 'cracker'.

And, what other social barriers exist for whites?

Yes, anybody can be racist. It's pretty shallow for a member of a socially privileged race to whine about it.

After thinking about my reply this morning, I would like to apologize for my kneejerk response.

Though, in general, what I wrote stands, I should not generalize about you individually, as I do not know you beyond this board. I got after someone about commenting on someone's writing out of context, and here I am guilty of the same thing.

If I have offended anybody else...
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »

Hmmmmm..............

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »

Finally, people who act like only white people can be racist.  Or that all white people are racist.  If you don't think that white people can/are offended by terms like cracker, honckey, etc. when not used from a comedic standpoint, you are an idiot.  And if you think that just because a person is white they hate everyone else, you are an idiot.

So? What's your complaint?

Oh, it must be so horrible for a white person to be called 'cracker'.

And, what other social barriers exist for whites?

Yes, anybody can be racist. It's pretty shallow for a member of a socially privileged race to whine about it.

After thinking about my reply this morning, I would like to apologize for my kneejerk response.

Though, in general, what I wrote stands, I should not generalize about you individually, as I do not know you beyond this board. I got after someone about commenting on someone's writing out of context, and here I am guilty of the same thing.

If I have offended anybody else...

Apology accepted Menard, and I do suppose that my complaints were a bit general and that perhaps I should read more into civil rights before I just start posting my uneducated views on it.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »

Damn thread turned into a lovefest before I even got the chance post my hateful views.  Never mind, the mood is ruined now.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2008, 02:03:09 PM »

I've known some to be somehow offended when I turn down an offer of alcohol even after pointing out I don't drink. As a straight-edge person too, I sometimes see differences in terms of how serious one straight-edger thinks it should be compared to another...some tie in Veganism and/or Vegetarianism in with it and don't believe you should have drink any caffeine at all or even take any medication, some add Church values into the mix as well and others don't believe in sex before marriage. There is a wide variance between people. Me, I simply don't believe in drinking alochol, taking illegal drugs or smoking cigarettes nor do I believe in promiscious sex. I have no problem however with eating meat, taking prescribed by doctor medication or people not going to Church . I'm not going to preach to others how to live their lives and would hope for the same in return.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Menard
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »

Me, I simply don't believe in drinking alochol, taking illegal drugs or smoking cigarettes nor do I believe in promiscious sex.

Me, I believe in all of those things.

I smoke, but, unfortunately, I don't drink, I don't take recreational drugs, and girls run too fast.

Damn Bluesad
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 05:36:01 PM »

I've known some to be somehow offended when I turn down an offer of alcohol even after pointing out I don't drink.

You know, it's really something how people act when you turn down alcoholic beverages.

I used to hang out with a bunch of pretty hard core pot-heads though I did not smoke myself.  The one and only time anyone gave me a hard time about not takin' a hit (not one of our regular circle of friends, a friend of a friend of a friend type deal), the group came to my defense and told the guy he could leave if he was gonna act like that.

In contrast, I have experienced all manners of rudeness for declining drinks at social functions.  As but one story, I was designated driver for a friend at a Halloween party one year - so she could 'cut loose' and what not.  This was NOT a party with all 'kids,' the crowd was mostly 30-40 years olds.

Just about everyone there tried to make me feel like crap because I was not drinking, which blew my mind at the time because designated driver was a well entrenched social role.  I was called names and was heavily pressured, and truthfully, I really was not prepared to be treated like that.

Fast forward a few years, and the situation was not much different.  The faces in the later crowds were doctors, lawyers and other professionals.  Alcohol really does often bring out the worst in people.  Again for contrast, I never saw that in my friends who were getting high.

Needless to say, when you are NOT drinking, being around a bunch of drunks is NOT fun.  At all. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Menard
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 05:46:12 PM »

Needless to say, when you are NOT drinking, being around a bunch of drunks is NOT fun.  At all. 

I am actually surprised by that.

I guess, like you said, it must be by circles.

Being that, unfortunately, I hang out around rednecks; not my choice, but they inhabit the places some of us go to play pool. Most everybody drinks, but, being that I no longer drink, I am the designated driver and everybody accepts that and some places even provide free soft drinks for me for being the designated driver.

Though, this is a night out in a bar, rather than someone's party, so that could make a difference; it still seems like a contrast in what one would think the behavior would be by the social circles.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »

I've known some to be somehow offended when I turn down an offer of alcohol even after pointing out I don't drink.

You know, it's really something how people act when you turn down alcoholic beverages.

I have the opposite experience.  When I take a little drink for social purposes, people always seem to shoot me nasty looks and make snide comments.  But how do those wrinkled old crones at the senior center expect me to get through my community service without a nip from my trusty hip flask? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »

Not saying this just to take the contrary position, Lester, but -- RC says he likes the music, not that he venerates the guy.

At least, from what I'm reading, that is what I take from his post.

I think it's OK to appreciate his music.  From what I hear on that video, I think the music is OK -- I don't know that I would personally buy the album, but it's better than William Shatner's version of "Rocket Man."

Personally, I find Elton John's personal politics offensive at times.  Not that he is gay, but at times his bashing all of organized religion as he has, I find that offensive.  But I've always enjoyed the majority of his music, and I did see him in concert once.  He can play! 

That's why if I like an artist/musician/actor I don't follow their private lives.  I don't care what they do in private, if I like what they do for a job, then that's it. I don't know them personally, so I can't have an opinion of why they behave the way that they do.

1.  I believe in God, but not religion.  Most people, Christians and atheists alike, don't understand it.  They think you can't have one without the other.  I disagree.  So I keep my beliefs to myself.

2.  I hate druggies and smokers and alcoholics.  I am VERY anti-illegal drugs and VERY anti-smoking.  I think people who even smoke dope are complete losers who should be thrown into the sun.  As far as I'm concerned there is no justifiable reason for being that self destructive.

But there are people I like who do stuff like that and I'm okay with it.  But I would never get involved with a man who did stuff like that.  How can this be you ask?  It's easy to be friends/acquaintances with someone and enjoy their company and accept them as they are because their lives don't actually impact on mine in any huge way.  But when I'm considering a life partner, my standards are a little higher.  His life would directly impact on mine and my son's.

3.  I don't buy into pop culture or rabid consumerism as a general rule.  And I get looked at like I have two heads.  For example:

I don't think it's good financial sense to rack up $5K on a credit card just to buy the latest designer hand bag. 
I don't think Brad Pitt or George Clooney or McDreamy or any of the other wankers out there these days is good looking and should be swooned over. 
I don't agree with People magazine's annual 50 Beautiful People list.  WTF? By whose standards?
I don't think Paris Hilton is a good role model for young girls. 
I don't think having 5 maxed out credit cards buying s**t I don't need is prudent financial planning. 
I don't think getting my head photographed for the newspapers at some swanky bash makes me better and more worthy than a person who doesn't. 
I don't think reality tv is an accurate window on the soul of humanity nor is it entertaining and it shouldn't be discussed endlessly at work. 
I don't swoon over some co-worker's new baby because I'm female and it's expected of me.

I'd better stop ranting now or I'll be here all day.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.