Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:18:01 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive?  (Read 21812 times)
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2008, 09:33:18 PM »

Actually addressing the topic, the on big thing I believe in that gets me the most disdain from those around me would have to be my feeling that any situation can be seen from more than one angle, and thus nothing can ever be considered to be concrete "good" or "evil". I'll intentionally play devil's advocate on pretty much anything. It p**ses off anybody who's absolutely firm in their own morality and don't know much outside of the things that have been shoveled into their heads from day one. A lot of people encourage being open-minded and trying to understand others, until you challenge something they've considered to be the absolute truth all their lives. Wink

Oh, and I've always said that if I was given the chance to legally sit down and have a meal of human flesh (cooked of course, I'm not the Wendigo or anything), I would absolutely take that opportunity. That one gets me nasty looks from even some of the most open-minded friends I've had.  TongueOut

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »

1.  I believe in God, but not religion.  Most people, Christians and atheists alike, don't understand it.  They think you can't have one without the other.  I disagree.  So I keep my beliefs to myself.

I'm a Christian and I think I know what you mean but just to clarify are you saying that you believe there is some benevolentforce that created the universe and is monitoring our lives, but he either hasn't said anything to anybody clearly enough for them to create an organized faith.  However you still believe in this personal god?  Is that about right?

P.S.  If I sound rude I'm sorry but this is an actual question, I just want to emphasize that part because I feel that my question can be taken waaaay out of context as a rude and condescending remark.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »

1.  I believe in God, but not religion.  Most people, Christians and atheists alike, don't understand it.  They think you can't have one without the other.  I disagree.  So I keep my beliefs to myself.

I'm a Christian and I think I know what you mean but just to clarify are you saying that you believe there is some benevolentforce that created the universe and is monitoring our lives, but he either hasn't said anything to anybody clearly enough for them to create an organized faith.  However you still believe in this personal god?  Is that about right?

P.S.  If I sound rude I'm sorry but this is an actual question, I just want to emphasize that part because I feel that my question can be taken waaaay out of context as a rude and condescending remark.

No worries Patient7, I'm always happy to explain myself.  TongueOut

Just to give some background info.  I've never had strong opinions about God/religion one way or another.  But I've never been really comfortable being an atheist either.  I always believed there had to be something more.

About a year ago, my sister gave me a Sylvia Browne book called Life On The Other Side and suddenly EVERYTHING about life made sense.  It just seemed so logical to me and I found a personal peace and calm that no amount of New Age or standard religious reading had ever brought me.  A few months later my 93 year old grandfather died.  We'd never had a death in the family before and even though we knew he was on his last legs, it still came as a shock.

But her book got me through the grief process pretty quickly and I wasn't as devastated as I otherwise would have been.

What I actually mean is that I don't believe in religion ie, you HAVE to behave this way or God will strike you down and you'll end up in Hell etc etc.  I've never liked it when people use guilt and/or fear to make you behave.

But I do believe there is a God.  Not some guy in a cloud wearing a dress, but an all encompassing energy that powers the Universe and creates everything, from planets and sub atomic particles to plants, animals and people.  On all planets and worlds no matter where they are in the universe.

I believe that as mere mortals and backwards unenlightened beings we can't begin to comprehend how this entity/energy works.  After all, have you ever tried to explain yourself to a cockroach?  No, because his limited physiology doesn't allow him understand your complexity as a human being.

I think people and God are like that.  That's pretty much the answer in a nutshell.  To really understand what I mean, I recommend you read her books.  You may agree, you may disagree, but to me, it's what helps me deal with life and everything that gets thrown at me every day.  I don't agree with 100% of everything she says, but the general arc of what she's saying resonates with me.

I hope that kind of explains what I mean.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2008, 05:50:36 AM »

KILLER BEES-That's amazing. Basically,my feelings about Gaud and organized religion follow along the same line of thought. The human race has NO CLUE to the wonders of the univerese. 'GOD' ,as most religions try to explain it,is a very simplistic way for us to cope with things we haven't the capabilities to even begin to understand. I beleve ANYTHING is possible....simply because it would be the height of arrogance for me to think I knew it all... only I , a lump of flesh and bones knew the 'REAL" truth of the universe. 

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »

KillerBees & RC, as a devout Christian, I can understand your feelings (and no, this isn't an attempt to convert you). I feel the same way to a large degree. Yes, organized religion has screwed up a lot of things, and yes, it has given people who shouldn't be allowed near others an "obligation" to harass people into subjugation. There are plenty of people (I can only speak for Christians), however, in churches that understand how little we actually know about God. The problem is that it's usually the pushy, noisy ones (of all religions) that give the others a bad name. I have found that for most Christians, God has been relegated to an overly simplistic bunch of sound bites, and his complex nature is ignored. In other words, we tend to try to make God more like us than to make ourselves like him. No, we can't understand an infinite being (I use the masculine pronoun only because that is the traditional way to talk about God, who is genderless, and because Jesus was a male), but he has apparently tried to understand things from our perspective (in the person of Jesus) and to make himself understood to us, at least in a limited capacity. The problem is that people are people, and becoming a Christian doesn't transform them out of their humanity. Most are decent enough human beings, but any time people become an organization, whether religious or secular, logic and compassion go out the window and the committee mind takes over (something akin to mob mentality, but slower because it carries the weight of tradition).

Again, I'm not trying to turn this into a prayer meeting to convert you. I just wanted to say that not everyone/everything involved in organized religion is stupid/pointless/annoying.

On topic, I'm sure many involved in organized religion would find my views offensive  TeddyR.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »

There are plenty of people (I can only speak for Christians), however, in churches that understand how little we actually know about God. The problem is that it's usually the pushy, noisy ones (of all religions) that give the others a bad name. I have found that for most Christians, God has been relegated to an overly simplistic bunch of sound bites, and his complex nature is ignored.

On topic, I'm sure many involved in organized religion would find my views offensive  TeddyR.

Thanks, Derf; very well stated summary of my Christian perspective as well.  In our church, we use the phrase "Great Mystery" quite a bit to help remind us that we really DON'T understand all of this - or much of any of it, really.

To a large extent, our larger church body celebrates crises of faith, which was quite new to me the first time I experienced it.  When I admitted "doubts," I fully expected to be blasted out of there, but instead it was more of a "welcome to the confused fold."

This is by no means "all;" we suffer all the things that people rail against with "organized" religion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »

KillerBees & RC, as a devout Christian, I can understand your feelings (and no, this isn't an attempt to convert you). I feel the same way to a large degree. Yes, organized religion has screwed up a lot of things, and yes, it has given people who shouldn't be allowed near others an "obligation" to harass people into subjugation. There are plenty of people (I can only speak for Christians), however, in churches that understand how little we actually know about God. The problem is that it's usually the pushy, noisy ones (of all religions) that give the others a bad name. I have found that for most Christians, God has been relegated to an overly simplistic bunch of sound bites, and his complex nature is ignored. In other words, we tend to try to make God more like us than to make ourselves like him. No, we can't understand an infinite being (I use the masculine pronoun only because that is the traditional way to talk about God, who is genderless, and because Jesus was a male), but he has apparently tried to understand things from our perspective (in the person of Jesus) and to make himself understood to us, at least in a limited capacity. The problem is that people are people, and becoming a Christian doesn't transform them out of their humanity. Most are decent enough human beings, but any time people become an organization, whether religious or secular, logic and compassion go out the window and the committee mind takes over (something akin to mob mentality, but slower because it carries the weight of tradition).

Again, I'm not trying to turn this into a prayer meeting to convert you. I just wanted to say that not everyone/everything involved in organized religion is stupid/pointless/annoying.

Well Derf, I agree.  Nobody really knows that much about God, we just have to work with what he gave us.  Some people try to claim their enlightened and tell us what it means when The Bible said something, but they don't.  The closest anyone can really get to that is when a priest relates a modern experience to demonstrate how the word of God is still relateable today.  In the end, we all have to interpret what is given to us in our own way, even if it's not associated with an organized religion.  I personally feel that in many cases it's more that you live a relatively decent life and don't assume that even the possibility of a higher being is impossible and that when you die you fall into nothingness.  And Bees, you elaborated perfectly on your beliefs and I understand completely how you feel.  I'm sorry if I offended anybody who is atheist, that whole oblivion thing was more to exxentuate my opinion.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »

It's human nature to want try and arrange things in forms we understand - hence God being a man and looking a certain way.  The grandfatherly, wise, bearded, supportive, calm, loving persona.  You expect your grandad to be all those things because generally he's the oldest member of any family and has had time to find out about the world.

It's also human nature to shun things that don't measure up to your personal view of the world and how others should behave.  The ultimate joke of Mother Nature is this:  we need diversity in humans to keep the population going, but people are only comfortable with things that are the same as them.  That's why racism is patently ridiculous.  Without diversity in humans, nobody would be here.

I respect other people's beliefs, even if they don't coincide with my own.  I figure that everyone has their own path to tread and we can't learn our lessons if we tread the same path.  But it doesn't worry me if religious people try to convert me.  It doesn't work anyway.  The only time I get p**sed about it is if I'm being unnecessarily bothered.  If I say no and they go away - fine.  But no still means no, so if you keep at me, you'll get some bad language and rudeness.  That's why I never push my beliefs onto others.  Because my beliefs say that you have your own way to go.  So the kindest thing I can do for you, is to let you go on your way.  If that way happens to merge with mine, then that's good too.

I believe there are decent souls and bastards anywhere you go.  Which religion you are doesn't preclude you from being either of those things.  Underneath we are all human and that means we are fallible.  We are all lost in our own way and we are all looking for love, respect, comfort, safety and a sense of belonging.  How you go about finding those things is an individual journey.

By and large, I think people try to do the right thing.  I think religion has its place in the world.  But when you start "speaking" for God, ie, God made me rape and kill that person, that's when you've stepped over the line.  God didn't make you do anything.  You decided it was a good idea to do what you did because you thought you would learn more from the experience than not doing it.  You made a choice.  You can't then turn around and blame someone or something else for your actions. 

Here endeth the sermon   TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 08:10:45 PM »

But it doesn't worry me if religious people try to convert me.  It doesn't work anyway.  The only time I get p**sed about it is if I'm being unnecessarily bothered.  If I say no and they go away - fine.  But no still means no, so if you keep at me, you'll get some bad language and rudeness. 

So you're sure I can't badger you into believing like I do?

Small | Large

Yeah, it's an old one, but I still like it.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you believe in-or like-that people take offensive? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.