Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:17 PM
714362 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm back. Can we find the love? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I'm back. Can we find the love?  (Read 8304 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 06, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »

Been gone for the last few days.  We loaded up and went to the rifle range / pistol range.  Some good weather, a little windy, more than a little rain.

In any case, quite a bit of arguing lately.  Of interest is that I rarely agree with Lester (possibly never), but I cannot think of ever giving him a "boo."  We just do not agree.  I'll argue points with him on rare occasions, but for the most part I stick to talking movies or other points that are not "important."  They're entertainment, the things that make me happy, the things that make other people happy - that stuff.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »

Now I'll have to save that vacation tribute for next time. TongueOut

They're entertainment, the things that make me happy, the things that make other people happy - that stuff.

I would hate to have to diagram that.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »

Group hug everybody!   Smile

Other than the WW2 thread, I stayed out of the other threads because there was nothing really positive I could've contributed.
I ripped into Lester in the beginning of the WW2 thread and that was enough for me.  Pressing it any further would've just inflamed it more.

I have to admit, Nathan was the last person I ever would've thought would create a thread that erupted into a flame war.  Maybe he was having a bad day.
We all have them sometimes.  I know I do.

I did have a few other thread ideas but they were all political or religious in nature.  And seeing how those types of threads have been getting out of hand here lately, I'll hold off writing them.  (I do have a few movie thread ideas I'll post soon)

So let's get back to talking about movies!
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:48:14 PM »

I don't know, certain boards I've posted to in the past have made sure that all talk about religion and politics would be immediately shutdown and would not be addressed on forums built around movie talk. I don't really agree with that kind of heavy handed censorship myself, but it does seem like the movies have taken a backseat to heated "real world" topics as of late. Though the abolition of parts of the board like the Off-Topic section might cut down on this problem, somehow I think that these issues would still seep into conversations, even if the only options were movies and general entertainment.

There could always be an "Anger Management" or "No Holds Barred" child board added on to the "Off-Topic" section where Thunderdome-like arguments could take place until the cows come home, thus allowing everybody else looking to discuss Curse of Confederate Cannibals and the latest news on Uwe Boll taking over the world to do so around the rest of the forum. Then again, this would make more work for yourself Andrew, and bubbling pots always boil over, so maybe fencing off the inmates in the remains of New York City wouldn't be such a great answer after all... I'm resigning my presidency before someone mistakes me for Donald Pleasance. Lookingup

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 08:03:43 AM »

I don't think the 'real world' topics have been more than the movie topics - but maybe they get noticed more.

Just looking at the Bad Movies board, I see a LOT of activity - more than two full pages of threads with replies within the past week.  And hey, there are three such threads started by Lester himself.

For that, though, I will say that I have seen threads in the movie boards get only one or two, if any, replies.  I know my thread on BIKINI BLOOD BATH a few weeks ago got one whole reply.  Ditto quite a few others.

So, the movie threads are there, they just are not as "visible" as the others for some reason.  Maybe they get buried in the noise of humorous captions, wierd news stories and general OT discussion - but they ARE there.

I do see a fair number of folks complaining about the OT topics.  The best way to reduce their presence on the board, imo, is to not reply.  Replies keep them on the "view recent posts" pages and invite more replies.  If we want the movie boards to be the most 'popular,' the answer is simple: post more movie topics, and reply to those that are there.

Food For Thought ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:13:49 AM »

I normally don't read the political discussions, and when I do, it immediately reminds me of why I don't.  TeddyR  I just come here for pleasant chats about bad movies and other miscellaneous stuff, like lawsuits over black holes.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:30:49 AM »

I don't think the 'real world' topics have been more than the movie topics - but maybe they get noticed more.

Just looking at the Bad Movies board, I see a LOT of activity - more than two full pages of threads with replies within the past week.  And hey, there are three such threads started by Lester himself.

For that, though, I will say that I have seen threads in the movie boards get only one or two, if any, replies.  I know my thread on BIKINI BLOOD BATH a few weeks ago got one whole reply.  Ditto quite a few others.

I think that, for the movie topics, the issue is that a person will usually only reply if they have seen the movie.  With something like politics, everyone has a ear to it.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 09:51:03 AM »

I have to admit, Nathan was the last person I ever would've thought would create a thread that erupted into a flame war.  Maybe he was having a bad day.

In my defense, I didn't exactly start the thread INTENDING it to degenerate into a flamewar.  I just kind of expect people to either back up their outrageous and inflammatory statements or graciously retract them.  Silly me.

[edited for typo]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:19:08 PM by nshumate » Logged

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »

There has been a run of movie posts about stuff I have not seen or been interested in, so I squat here more often than not.  Monster and cheesy space flicks are undergoing a dry spell. 
I steer clear of real world stuff more often then not, I don't argue for the sake of arguing.  Andrew, this is just family stuff.   You know how it is.  Someone asks a question at Thanksgiving and then certain people are not speaking to certain other people etc. etc. It'll blow over.

I just wuv you all to death.  Except Nathan, being all inflammitory and all.  Go sit in the corner.    BounceGiggle

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »

I think some headsup has awakened a few contributors that they enjoy being on this board and want to belong.  I do think it's ashame when people won't own up to their words and errors, but nonetheless the vast majority of contributors here are considerate, friendly and polite.  We could foster the threads we start better, and pruning is always good when quoting another... but most postings seem worthwhile. 
As I approach my one year anniversary as a registered contributor to this site, I have nothing but praise for BADMOVIES.ORG!!

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »

I just wuv you all to death.  Except Nathan, being all inflammitory and all.  Go sit in the corner.    BounceGiggle

-Ed

I can't, 'cuz I'm imflammatory.  But I'm putting a prescription cream on it.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »

Monster and cheesy space flicks are undergoing a dry spell.

I know people who would weave that into an argument about the recent correction in the gold market.  and get paid for it.

Yeah, the ww2 thread was a huge mistake.  ethics aren't really my strong suit.  to me, it was just another column, to others an assault on their very core beliefs about humanity.  I am not pro slavery or pro hitler.  I'm sort of knee deep in political stuff these days, so what is sort of non descript "shop talk" to me is no doubt pretty repellent / frightening to others.  sort of like working at a morgue or something if that makes any sense.

bottom line-  if a movie wasn't shown at drive ins in 1973 or made for tv in 1978 I don't have time for it.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »

I try to stay away from the political / world posts at this point.  I've jumped into a couple of them and only came out of them more angry than when I started my argument.  I don't understand why most of these political posts get put up anyway.  If I know a post is going to p**s of most everyone on the board, then I'm not going to post it.  Common sense, of course.   TeddyR

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »

Marines have a tradition called "Mess Night," which is a formal dinner.  Along with a number of other rules, certain topics of conversation are not allowed:  politics, religion, and women (though the last is now changed to something gender-neutral, because we do have females in the Corps).

Anyway, the reasoning behind this is that avoiding those subjects avoids most of the causes of "impolite conversation."  Politics is always on the list those forbidden topics, and usually the first mentioned.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »

I like the idea of wide open debate on any and all topics . . . but I think that common courtesy should still be the rule of the day.  Just because someone disagrees does not mean they are evil . . . or even wrong, for that matter.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn something from him."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm back. Can we find the love? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.