Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:16:07 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dreamcatcher « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dreamcatcher  (Read 30377 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 07, 2008, 06:03:09 PM »

Morgan Freeman saves the world from fanged, funky butt worms.  What I want to know is why somebody wanted to make a movie based on a Stephen King book that features sphincter eels with teeth (Note: Stephen King writing such a thing doesn't surprise me).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Inferno
Bad Movie Lover

Resident Jenova's Witness

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »

Well not only are they butt worms, their heads look like teethy vaginas.

Yeah, I went there......
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:39 PM »

Funky butt worms.
Wow.
Andrew, you are a god of the written word  Cheers

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
John
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:29:24 AM »

You forgot the leech scene in Stand by me.  Bluesad  Personally. I can't stand Stephen King books.  Hatred You have all the same 9 archtypes in every story. The f**ked up Father and Mother. The Loser that can't get the Girl he wants.  Lookingup The Girl the loser wants but she sleeps with the Stud. The Stud. The Fat Kid that's picked on. YAWN.  Thumbdown Then the Bullies that are all painted with the same brush.  TeddyR Just a different version of the end of the world or dimension, or monster on the loose. Like I said. I can't stand the "Hick".   Hatred
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 04:48:41 AM »

One of King's weakest novels begets an even worse than normal "Stephen King" movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:52:05 AM »

I actually thought the first half was pretty good, probably because I'm a sucker for anything with winter scenery in it.  But then Morgan Freeman showed up and I'm like, "This was about four guys in a cabin, and now it's Independence Day or some damned thing?".  I believe I went and did some yard work at that point.  King has a habit of changing his mind halfway through a book and then not going back and re-writing the beginning.  Like with he Stand - it started out with a biological warfare agent getting out of the laboratory, and next thing you know it's about God vs. Satan.  Huh?

The villain in Dreamcatcher seemed absolutely identical to the villain in Storm of the Century.  Suave, sophisticated, all knowing, yadda yadda yadda.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:03:38 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:26:42 AM »

This was NOT one of my favorite King books, and I never bothered with the movie.  Loved THE STAND, though.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »

One of King's weakest novels begets an even worse than normal "Stephen King" movie.

I couldn't have said it better Akiraturbo.  I picked up the book the day it was released and had high hopes for it.  Sadly I was unable to make it about a third of the way through....I didn't fare any better with the film.  I've seen it twice which was about five times too many.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

You have all the same 9 archtypes in every story.

Looking back on his books and stories, he certainly does like to cut and paste certain characters.  Beaver immediately comes to mind.  That character template is present in several other King works.

I actually thought the first half was pretty good, probably because I'm a sucker for anything with winter scenery in it.  But then Morgan Freeman showed up and I'm like, "This was about four guys in a cabin, and now it's Independence Day or some damned thing?". 

The winter setting was beautifully done.  They even seemed to get the hushed feel of a heavy snowfall right.  The one shot from above, with the vehicle driving up the road, was excellent.  Unfortunately, I think they discarded all the care later on,  but in the first half it was spot on.

Morgan Freeman's over the top performance is probably the reason I gave this a two, vice a three (I still am not sure, and could end up changing it one day).  Part of it has to be some inner part of me giggling over him acting like the crazy Colonel right out of "Apocalypse Now," but with alien anal lampreys as the opposing force, vice Martin Sheen.

Funky butt worms.
Wow.
Andrew, you are a god of the written word 

Actually, something of a homage to "Bloom County" in that expression; it probably would have been just "fanged butt worms" instead.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »

This movie starts out promisingly enough, like the novel. But also like the novel is just keeps getting more and more ludicrous as it goes along until you just quit caring anymore and want to cut it off.

One of the biggest mistakes from an already weak novel was changing the Dudditt's character to being some kind of good alien type thing.  In the novel all he does is give them telepathic abilities but they aren't the only ones that he gives that gift to in the book from what I gather.

This movie does however work as great unintentional comedy though. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »

Was that Damian Lewis watching the fanged butt worm eat his friend?...Ewww, look what I wrote....Glad a saw 'Band of Brothers' before I did that scene...
Thanks for the warning, Andrew. And another review I feel like sending to Dennis Miller. Man has got to give ya air time.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Jay the Magnificent
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 01:10:29 AM »

i found this movie just exhausting....my mum..she...well, found it....she threw up hands and watched a Mama's Family marathon instead
Cut 'n' Paste
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 01:57:09 AM »

One of my all-time favourite films, but I'm not allowed to watch it if anyone else is in the room, as everyone else hates it. As usual, a Stephen King novel makes it to the screen virtually intact.

My favourite quote would be the bit where the Beav describes the film in which the girl, first thing in the morning, says to the guy -
"Where's the cat?"
"What cat?"
"The one that s**t in my mouth during the night...."
(approx. quote)
Chainsaw77
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »

I thought Dreamcatcher was fun. I don't know what other people watch b movies for, but it did the job for my unapologetically bad movie, loving self. I usually don't watch more recent films becuse they are way too glossy for my taste and usually unoriginal. This made me wish I would have not been so biased against newer films because then I would have seen it in the theaters. This movie reminded me of Dune in the sense that you either love it or you hate it. I liked it for what it was: a fun, trashy, horror/sci fi b movie romp. I think most people are way to serious and let it get in the way of having fun with a film. But then again one of my favorite movies is I drink your blood, so I'll promptly shut up. Thanx for the review, Andrew.

The bastards have landed!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 03:33:56 PM »

Book was okay, not King's best work - film was dire  Thumbdown

I hope the film version of "From A Buick 8" is miles better as it's my favourite SK novel.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dreamcatcher « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.