Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:33 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies your parents like « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Movies your parents like  (Read 14026 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 09:04:14 AM »

also my sister has strange tastes.  ultra- mainstream.  I think she's seen legally blonde like a thousand times.  She's a bit of a yuppie and I think when she comes home she just wants the most blandly upbeat entertainment possible.
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »

My mom was big on South Pacific, The King & I, and some other big-budget movie musicals.  She also liked David Lean films, and anything offbeat that involved exploring or foreign countries ("A Boy 10 Feet Tall").
My dad watched The Time Machine and IT! The Terror From Beyond Space with me on TV, but didn't go out much.  We used to laugh at Rocky and Bullwinkle together, but I'm sure he got more of it than I did. 
Strangely, my obsessive love of silent film didn't come from either of them or their parents/my grandparents.  I sort of got it on my own that these very old films are a form of High Art unto themselves.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »

also my sister has strange tastes.  ultra- mainstream.  I think she's seen legally blonde like a thousand times.  She's a bit of a yuppie and I think when she comes home she just wants the most blandly upbeat entertainment possible.

Mine too, she really likes "normal" movies. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 05:41:19 PM »

My late grandfather was huge (I'm talkin' HUGE) John Wayne fan.  I think he had 90% of his films on VHS (which I got when he passed on).  We did find common ground when I turned on the TV during the holidays to Vertigo.  He couldn't believe that I actually liked Jimmy Stewart/Hitchcock movies.

My mom likes your standard fare but she has a thing for Johnny Depp, Al Pacino and Harrison Ford.  It broke her heart when I told her that all three of those guys smoke.  She hates smokers.   TongueOut

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

Our interests vary widely but I do have to credit them for first introducing me to Ma and Pa Kettle, The Three Stooges, The Beverly Hillbillies and the Police Academy films, all of which I also like. As one could probably tell, Mom and Dad prefer old-fashioned comedies, both the older ones and the more modern ones like Grumpy Old Men and Dennis the Menace, which of course still featured some classic acting stars. Dad abhors anything with violence, killing or gore although he doesn't mind some hanky panky. Mom loves comedies and romance films. I did manage to get them to watch the Star Trek, Star Wars and Planet of the Apes films with me and they actually enjoyed all of those strangely enough. My love of classic 1950s Sci-Fi and 1950s/60s Sci-Fi TV though was something I came to embrace all on my own. Still I cannot say that I generally dislike romantic comedies and those classic comedies my parents love either although I like them a bit less perhaps than my parents do. They definitely do not share my love for monster movies.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »

When my grandfather was alive, he liked comedies.  But mostly physical comedies like Benny Hill.  He was Eastern European and didn't understand English very well, even after 60 odd years in this country.  So clever lines and subtelty were lost on him.  He actually thought Robin Williams was an unfunny idiot  Lookingup

But he loved Milo and Otis and one of his faves was The 10 Commandments with Charlton Heston.  That's also because he was quite religious.  My grandmother, God bless her, is a bit of a ditz, even before the senility set in.  She'd watch the same comedy as my granddad and come away with a completely askew comprehension of what she just saw.  Then my grand dad would start on her about how much of a ditz she was  *lol*

My psycho middle sister loves romcoms.  Legally Blonde, Hitch, While You Were Sleeping, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, anything that dripped with saccharine and had the girl and boy ending up together after a series of misunderstandings.  She also likes Meet The Parents.  She also has an inability to understand anything beyond what she likes.  I think she got her ditziness from my grandmother.

When zombies take over the world, she'll be the first to be assimilated because she never watched supernatural movies to find out how to survive.  TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 09:05:04 PM »

My sister likes anything with a rich girl who likes to dance with a poor guy, no matter what society thinks.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »

My Mother and Grandmother (R.I.P) are/where huge movie fans B-Movie,Classics whatever. My grandmother bought me tons of Godzillia tapes and had movies like "Day of the Day" on VHS and was a huge horror buff. My mom would bring me to any movie really. She bought to Robocop 2 when I was 9-10 years old. She watchs my dvds when I get them from Netflix and if its a old one usually says "Yeah I saw that".  Smile

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 08:22:11 AM »

....  She loves British comedies like Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served and that one with Judi Dench.  .... 

In that case I would recommend "Death at a funeral", although very british (deep black comedy)...

Thanks Frank, I'll have to check that out. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »

My father likes just about anything, but prefers comedies.

My mother is really the one who got me interested in movies (at a very young age).  She used to like a lot of horror and sci-fi stuff.  She still does, but probably not as much as she did when I was a kid. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 10:14:34 AM »

Ed-  I wonder if  iwasn't creatively inclined if I wouldn't have a similar perspective.  To most people, movies and music are just light entertainment.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »

I can see it myself, Mr. 1/2Jr.  Some years ago I decided I wasn't going to waste valueble movie time on anything that I find disturbing or not fun.  That usually involves excessive violence, and rape.  Or the painfully bizarre, like Pi. 
I'm a film escapist, I have to admit.  I'd prefer to watch cardboard box robots and rubber monsters than uber real drug movies or something.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
moman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »

My grandparent's favourite movie is Trainspotting.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »

My mother was fond of Disney films. She would have to have been, as she took my younger sister and I to enough of them.

My father was fond of anything with John Wayne in it. Whether that had to do with him being a Navy lifer, is anybody's guesss.

But my parents' favorite film has to be "Shane." Three times they tried to see it at the drive-in. Three times the fog rolled in and interrupted the film showing, before it was over. The fourth time, the drive-in manager seeing them in line again, just waved them on through, without having to buy a ticket. That must have been it. Finally, they got to see it all the way through, without a fog interruption.

As for myself, I was old enough to attend the showing with them, but not old enough to remember seeing it.
Ryantherebel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »

My dad loves the hell out if Time Bandits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies your parents like « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.