Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:41:46 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A question about MGM's release of "The Burning"... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question about MGM's release of "The Burning"...  (Read 3656 times)
TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« on: April 14, 2008, 06:46:55 AM »

Before I buy this DVD, I must know:

Does anyone who already has this know whether or not the "raft scene" is shown in its entirety?  Being the movie geek that I am, that's a true selling point.

Thanks, anyone who can help.

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:42:24 AM »

I bought this upon it's release after tiring of the old beat up bootleg I've had for a while.  I haven't watched it in a while, but I do believe that the scene is left in the film in it's entirety.  If I get a chance this afternoon, I'll pop it in the DVD player and verify.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

I bought this a few months ago and I believe the raft scene is uncut, but that's only a 90% guarantee . . . not 100%.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »

Despite the R rating on the back of the case, this is the fully uncut version of The Burning.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
TheDope

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »

You know, I asked this question on three different boards - you guys are the only ones who have me the time of day, and I frequent all 3 boards quite often, too!   Buggedout

Thanks, guys - I got me some buyin' to do!!   BounceGiggle

Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 09:11:47 PM »

The release we got of "The Burning" is really the best we could expect. It's fully uncut, the transfer is beautiful, and there are actually a few special features. Considering what we could have gotten, I was very pleased. Now, if only they had used the original poster art instead of that photoshop job they threw together.
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:52:32 PM »

You know, I asked this question on three different boards - you guys are the only ones who have me the time of day, and I frequent all 3 boards quite often, too!   Buggedout

Thanks, guys - I got me some buyin' to do!!   BounceGiggle

While you're at it, you should also buy a copy of 1981's Prowler as well since Tom Savini also did the gore effects for that one.

Blue Underground released a completely uncut version of Prowler a few years back in widescreen with commentary on it.

Makes a great double bill with The Burning IMO.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »

D'oh, when did this surface?  Buggedout

I try to keep abreast of dvd releases, but lately just too damn many things get released in huge waves.  Too many times I stumble across something long after it's release thanks to it getting lost in the shuffle.

I had been hoping this would end up being put out by one of the cult labels.  They tend to treat the releases with a little more respect and often have some very nice extras.  So much for the dream of an isolated track for the Rick Wakeman score.  Bluesad

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »

I have a copy of THE PROWLER, too.  I love Blue Underground.  I'm also a big fan of Anchor Bay, Mondo Macabro (check out the DVD VIRGINS FROM HELL . . . I posted comments about it in this forum awhile back . . . it is one wild movie!), Media Blasters, and Something Weird.  It's like being at the drive-in right in my own home . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »

Hate to derail the thread but The Prowler was one I could never get into.  I bought the Blue Underground release of the film but I just can't ever seem to make it more than half way through.  It just always felt like a standard slasher to me, nothing special, nothing worth really spending the time with.

I'll see about giving it another try sometime soon.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »

Hate to derail the thread but The Prowler was one I could never get into.  I bought the Blue Underground release of the film but I just can't ever seem to make it more than half way through.  It just always felt like a standard slasher to me, nothing special, nothing worth really spending the time with.

I'll see about giving it another try sometime soon.

Don't get me wrong.  THE PROWLER is a pretty awful movie.  But it has a mystique about it that makes it a "must see."  There are many reasons not to like this movie.  But we MUST punish ourselves with this stuff . . . we MUST!

TheDope

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »

Momentarily joining you off-track: yes, The Prowler is one I caught a glimpse of back in the day on a local channel late at night.  Not bad, good gore.  Maybe that one will be soon in coming my way...

Okay, back on track now: I ordered my copy of The Burning on FYE.com last night and it should be in my grubby little hands by the end of the week!  Yay, me!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A question about MGM's release of "The Burning"... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.