Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:00:05 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gothic « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gothic  (Read 20486 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »

Reader review by Fausto.  Ken Russell is known for making freaky films, and this is one of them.  Did you know that the basis of "Frankenstein" was Mary Shelley's husband-to-be, yodeling naked on the roof in the middle of a thunderstorm?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
yes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »

Thanks, This is another Russell film i still need to pick up.  I recently found Litszomania VHS for 1$.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:59:52 PM »

I recently got one of those 50-Packs and there was a title called "Gothic" that I was unsure of watching because the summary was so bad- in those packs they tend to be. Now that I know that this is that same movie I'll have to watch it TongueOut

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:38:52 PM »

Hard to know what to say, except I do prefer "Lair of the White Worm" (reviewed at this site) to this one, but Fausto has seemed to have hit all the highlights--and lowlights--of the film, so I'd be interested in seeing him do another review of one of Ken's films.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »

Good job Fausto.  I agree with your critique, especially the part about how the overacting was deliberate and added to the atmosphere (I actually thought this was very obvious).  Gabriel Byrne and Natasha Richardson were fine, and Russel harnessed Julian Sands natural talent for scenery chewing.

The first time I saw this as a pot-smoking college student I was high as kite.  It was trippy and visually fun, but I found it impossible to follow.  The characters never seemed to hold: for example, Polidori would be a simpering mess, then a prankster, then bald, then homicidal, then suicidal.   

The obvious joke to make would be that when I watched it 20 years later, sober, that I couldn't tell the difference.  Unfortunately, that's not true.  I found it fairly easy to follow as long as I remembered that while the characters were in their delirium nothing really happened, and very little carried over from one scene to the next.  The "plot" was just an excuse for Russell to do what he does best: string together a bunch of phantasmagorical sequences that aren't constrained by the demands of a linear plot.

Altogether one of Russell's better films.  I agree with the 4/5 rating.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Phred22
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »

This review doesn't seem to mention my favorite bit with Claire and a rat. For the sake of not spoiling anyone's pleasure, no further details.
TooManyCustomers
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »

Heh.. I think my favourite scene was where people were quite upset with there being a pig's head on the hallway floor, but then once it changed into Polidori's head they were quite relieved and went back to their business...
Beefcurtanz
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 11:01:19 AM »

I always loved this VHS cover, looks like to the little weird elf is getting some cheap feels on the dead lady. I had no idea it had something to do with Frankenstein. It's a good movie, not trash.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gothic « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.