Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:02:05 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  COFFIN JOE ??? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: COFFIN JOE ???  (Read 3030 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: April 18, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »

I'm watching THIS NIGHT I'LL POSSESS YOUR CORPSE   Lookingup  on IFC. 
COFFIN JOE orders his slack-jawed hunchbacked servant to: "Clean up this mess!!"   
Cue: lightening thunderbolt as JOE points to the pit where the four bodies of women in negligees have died... from snakes crawling on them...  Lookingup  Twirling  We get to see peek-a-boo boobies too-be!!   BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle 

The most horrific thing about any of the JOSE MOJICA MARINS' COFFIN JOE flix are his finger nails which belong on some skeevey China-man-lord of an opium den. 

Anybody else like COFFIN JOE

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:45:04 AM »

I LOVE me some Coffin Joe!!!!!!   Cheers

Iv'e seen AT MIDNIGHT I'LL TAKE YOUR SOUL,THIS NIGHT I"LL POSSES YOUR CORPSE and the Really weird  The STRANGE WORLD of COFFIN JOE.

He was gore pre- HG Lewis. He seems to be a combo of SHOCK theater type host, and  De Sade. He's...well...Coffin Joe! Totally out there!  Thumbup

Here's a clip from the BLOODY EXORCISM of COFFIN JOE (1974)

Small | Large

Amazingly, he is still making and acting in his own weird brand of horror! His latest being completed this year-

http://imdb.com/title/tt0923683/combined

Go go Coffin Joe!!!!  Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »

Coffin Joe is great.  I have AT MIDNIGHT I'LL TAKE YOUR SOUL and THIS NIGHT I'LL POSSESS YOUR CORPSE on DVD.  They hold places of honor in my movie shrine . . .
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:14:14 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »

I've only seen HALLUCINATIONS OF A DERANGED MIND, which is a collection of his scenes re-cut with a little original material to look like a new movie---basically like a sitcom "clip-show."

Small | Large
(link contains brief nudity)

It definitely whetted my appetite to see the originals.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:39:33 PM »

Coffin Joe became a favorite of mine after I caught At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul and Tonight I'll Possess Your Corpse on IFC.  I kind of thought that they would be little tame films but they are absolutely amazing pieces of early indie horror.

Coffin Joe is one of the creepiest anti-heroes to come out of that time.  The fingernails, the clothing, the insanity..it's all perfect.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »

Coffin Joe is one of the creepiest anti-heroes to come out of that time.  The fingernails, the clothing, the insanity..it's all perfect.
I think my favorite thing about Coffin Joe is how he is the national Boogeyman of Brazil.  Seriously.  Those movies are so huge that for a long time, people would see Marins on the street and walk the other way because they thought he was Coffin Joe.  And what makes him so scary to everyone down there?

He's an atheist.

Is he an undead athiest?  An atheist with supernatural powers? Nope.  He just rejects the notion of God.  That scares the crap out of people down there!  I love that.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:13:13 AM »

His persona and the character design is interesting, but the movies always struck me as mediocre.  The film that struck me as the most interesting was "This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse" since it deals a lot with his desire to achieve immortality by having a son, and the horror of losing everything.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 07:58:56 AM »

The films are VERY low budget. But there's a charm to them...it's almost like if Zacherle was a sadist. To me... the films  have an aura that of Halloween  at it's scariest....witches,ghosts and goblins...with blood and sadism. 

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 11:44:53 PM »

AWAKENING OF THE BEAST (1970) on IFC right now!!!

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Blevo
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 04:27:39 PM »

I think my favorite thing about Coffin Joe is how he is the national Boogeyman of Brazil.  Seriously.  Those movies are so huge that for a long time, people would see Marins on the street and walk the other way because they thought he was Coffin Joe.  And what makes him so scary to everyone down there?

He's an atheist.

Is he an undead athiest?  An atheist with supernatural powers? Nope.  He just rejects the notion of God.  That scares the crap out of people down there!  I love that.

Is Marins an atheist or just Coffin Joe?  The outcome of his two films and the character seeking redemption kind of give the films a pro religion vibe.

My Coffin Joe Trilogy Box set is one of my favorite DVD collections.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  COFFIN JOE ??? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.